Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:31:15 am

Author Topic: Average 1st year law WAM  (Read 3357 times)  Share 

jinaede1342

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +34
Average 1st year law WAM
« on: January 18, 2020, 07:00:53 pm »
So I’m planning to study Law/Commerce at Monash and hopefully resit the UCAT to have a go at medicine through the non-standard pathway. Needless to say, most unis with the exception of the JMP require strong GPAs/WAMs. Are there any law students here who would be willing to divulge the typical  results that students usually get in their first few law units? Is getting an 80+ in law units even possible and if so what are the percentage distributions. I think studying a double degree might help because 1st year commerce units are generally perceived to be easier as opposed to taking straight law. Thanks!
VCE: | English [48] | Global Politics [44] | Biology [40] | Chemistry [36] | French [34] | Methods [32]
ATAR: 98.40
2020: Bachelor of Laws (honours)/ Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

Selling Global Politics responses + English/Global feedback and essay correction: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189680.0

Global Politics Tuition via Zoom - PM for details

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Average 1st year law WAM
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 10:39:00 pm »
+5
So I’m planning to study Law/Commerce at Monash and hopefully resit the UCAT to have a go at medicine through the non-standard pathway. Needless to say, most unis with the exception of the JMP require strong GPAs/WAMs. Are there any law students here who would be willing to divulge the typical  results that students usually get in their first few law units? Is getting an 80+ in law units even possible and if so what are the percentage distributions. I think studying a double degree might help because 1st year commerce units are generally perceived to be easier as opposed to taking straight law. Thanks!
Not a law student but 80+ in law units are definitely possible. However, I think the averages are similar to other courses but students are more bunched up.

As for commerce units yes they are generally considered to be simpler but sometimes students get complacent and don't do as well as they should - also these units for most are really dry.

Did a bit of research and found that law-only average after 4 years(only takes law units into account)are published. They are probably in the 70s due to tougher 3rd/4th year units. Coming from VCE these may seem like "low scores" but at university 70+ is still a distinction.

For 2019:

HI 77.6 (90th percentile)

HIIA 73.9 (75th percentile)

HIIB 71 (60th percentile)

HIII 69.2 (50th percentile)

https://www.monash.edu/law/current-students/resources/enrolments/honours/calculation-llb-honours-course-grades
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 10:56:19 pm by Sine »

jinaede1342

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 11:31:38 pm »
Wow, mad research skills, this was really helpful! 77.6 for top 10%... seems like marking is very harsh in uni. These people have 94-99.95 ATARs. It’s certainly gonna be an adjustment. Cya VCE English, it was nice while it lasted.
VCE: | English [48] | Global Politics [44] | Biology [40] | Chemistry [36] | French [34] | Methods [32]
ATAR: 98.40
2020: Bachelor of Laws (honours)/ Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

Selling Global Politics responses + English/Global feedback and essay correction: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189680.0

Global Politics Tuition via Zoom - PM for details

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 07:52:52 pm »
+2
Just to add on from the perspective of a law student. I think that getting 80%+ in individual law units is definitely possible, especially if they are first year units (they are slightly easier imo and you get more resources like PASS). However, some people do better in later years because the way you study for law doesn’t really change much, and once you have a process down, it’s easier to do well. The difficulty in law is trying to maintain that 80+ law average throughout your degree. Like Sine said, the average marks in law are pretty similar to other courses, but they’re more bunched up. From what I’ve seen it means that unlike other courses there aren’t a bunch of people getting averages in the 90s and even in some individual units, I think the highest marks have in the past been in the high 80s. Basically, 80+ average is possible but difficult.

As for commerce, it’s definitely easier to get higher marks in commerce, but there are people who get higher law marks than commerce due to complacency and lack of interest in commerce units (basically what Sine said).

Also, people don’t always have those ATARs in law cause a decent chunk of the cohort are transfers. Not that ATARs really mean anything in university anyway.