Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:32:50 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231826 times)

maddi.mccarthy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4425 on: July 12, 2019, 03:48:13 pm »
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if NESA can ask us to write a specific type of text for our Mod C creative? As in can they specifically say "compose a discursive piece of writing" etc, or will it be more generic?
Also, is it a good idea to memorise a creative for the exam?
Thanks!

violet123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4426 on: July 12, 2019, 08:31:23 pm »
What are the stuff I should include in my notes for English common module and Mod A?
I am doing the texts The Crucible for common module and King Richard III and Looking for Richard for mod B

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4427 on: July 14, 2019, 11:04:17 pm »
+1
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if NESA can ask us to write a specific type of text for our Mod C creative? As in can they specifically say "compose a discursive piece of writing" etc, or will it be more generic?
Also, is it a good idea to memorise a creative for the exam?
Thanks!

Hey, maddi.mccarthy!

I highly doubt that NESA will specify a text type, at least for this year's cohort. They might specify a quote, statement or image you have to use but I don't think they'll make you write in a certain form  :)

As for memorising, I would recommend memorising key lines or sentences you would 100% like to include in your piece but rather, I would recommend knowing your plot, character, setting etc. and practising with different stimuli under exam conditions. I found this a much more effective study technique for creative writing because it forces you to really consider the possibilities you might encounter in the exam. Although you can't prepare for every outcome there is, you can give yourself the best opportunity to experiment with your ideas in a more relaxed setting. This will ensure you adjust yourself to the prompt and properly engage with the stimulus on the day  :D

What are the stuff I should include in my notes for English common module and Mod A?
I am doing the texts The Crucible for common module and King Richard III and Looking for Richard for mod B

Hey, violet123!

I would construct your notes for the Common Module under key concepts in the rubric. I'd do this for all the terms and provide examples that you feel can be used for multiple instances (so you don't have to memorise pages and pages of techniques). For example, you could look at Danforth as an example of twisted judgement/twisted morality as a negative aspect of the individual human experience, as well as him being a paradox because he is a leader by the law who has terrible decision-making and judgement. This way, you'll best address the rubric and the module itself, as opposed to just constructing notes by the text without applying the Human Experiences focus to your analysis.

For Module A, I would search for quotes and examples that pair up between your two texts and draw up a bunch of Venn diagrams. I would put the quotes and techniques on either side with their independent analysis first off. What I would then do is find the thematic "textual conversation" that is occurring between the two texts and write my synthesis in the centre. This can assist you in visualising the links between the texts and to establish the similarities and differences between them. I would also look at form (drama vs docudrama) as a huge clue because we can see Pacino's text being an extension and commentary on King Richard III using film to appeal to contemporary audiences.

It's up to you how you construct your notes and what you include but those would be my recommendations  :) Hope that helps  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

xlaibaxx

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4428 on: July 16, 2019, 03:26:11 pm »
Hey!
I was just wondering could anyone help me out with the resonances and dissonances prevalent within the King Richard III and Looking for Richard? It's a critical part of the module. So far i have themes for resonances and context and form for dissonances. Thanks

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #4429 on: July 16, 2019, 05:08:02 pm »
+1
Hey!
I was just wondering could anyone help me out with the resonances and dissonances prevalent within the King Richard III and Looking for Richard? It's a critical part of the module. So far i have themes for resonances and context and form for dissonances. Thanks

Resonances and dissonances are essentially the similarities and differences in the conversations (ideas) between King Richard III (KR3) and Looking For Richard (LFR). Here are some resonances and dissonances within these two texts, to help you get started. Let me know if you have any questions and I hope this helps.

In terms of resonances, you could focus on how LFR maintains the motif of performance/theatricality in KR3 in order to explore the gap between appearance and reality. As both Shakespeare and Pacino are both fascinated by the multifaceted nature of existence, it allows Pacino to embody the merging between actor and role in LFR and communicate that we are all actors in our everyday lives.

As for dissonances, I could not really think of any others that do not relate to context nor form besides the fact that Pacino frames his quest as him being the knight in shining armour (aka a romance hero) to understand Richard and Shakespeare's value.
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

violet123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4430 on: July 19, 2019, 03:34:59 pm »
What is textual integrity?

I am studying Emma for module B. I am really confused about what textual integrity is because it seems to cover so much stuff. How do I write in regards to textual integrity?

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4431 on: July 19, 2019, 04:39:49 pm »
+1
What is textual integrity?

I am studying Emma for module B. I am really confused about what textual integrity is because it seems to cover so much stuff. How do I write in regards to textual integrity?
Hey there,

Textual integrity means that all aspects of the text can be unified to convey the composer's ideas. If the text can't clearly convey the composer's ideas then they have failed. It sounds a bit confusing, but the way I look at textual integrity is like this:

Characters + actual text (i.e. where your quotes come from) = overall message

(Note: I'm simplifying this. There are more things that contribute to textual integrity like structure and text type).

Essentially, your analysis of quotes kinda contributes to you talking about textual integrity. Something as simple as "By using the motif of conversational subtexts through numerous characters such as Emma and Mr Knightley, Jane Austen reinforces her ideas on the universality of folly" already indicates that the chosen technique enhances the novel's themes. (Side note: I haven't studied Emma since Year 9 so don't quote on me, except for the fact that Mr Knightley is life!)

I think what makes Mod B different from the other modules is that you need to make it more clear. I usually make it clear at the end of each paragraph. So for Yeats, I usually say something along the lines of "By exploring the overlapping ideas between the two poems, Yeats is clearly concerned over the progression of humanity through his views on continuity and change. Thus, Yeats' poems demonstrates textual integrity."

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Ufrah

• Adventurer
« Reply #4432 on: July 20, 2019, 05:25:47 am »
Hi I’m really struggling to link to how Miller’s themes of transgression,
Persecution, angst and rebellion etc. relate to his overall purpose?

Thanks!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4433 on: July 21, 2019, 02:13:31 pm »
Hi I’m really struggling to link to how Miller’s themes of transgression,
Persecution, angst and rebellion etc. relate to his overall purpose?

Thanks!

Hey, Ufrah!

I would link his themes to contextual concerns, as well as how they encompass broader human experiences. His purpose can be largely assumed to have been commenting and representing the attitudes, behaviours and motivations of those living in the McCarthy period. What this can extend to is you linking it to an agenda he has to expose the shortcomings of human judgement and values. This can enable you to think of purpose both from the context itself and at a macro level in relation to the Common Module. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

classof2019

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4434 on: July 21, 2019, 05:03:55 pm »
In a "to what extent" question, is it considered unsophisticated to fully agree with a statement - or must you always present both sides of the argument? Because I'm finding quite often that I agree wholly with the stimulus.

annabeljxde

• Forum Regular
  • 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘇𝘆 𝗲𝗴𝗴
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #4435 on: July 21, 2019, 07:05:58 pm »
Hi there!

I'm having trouble understanding the meaning of the statement below.

Falstaff has been labelled as one of ‘nature’s predators’.

Write an extended response in which you challenge or affirm this view regarding Falstaff in
Shakespeare’s King Henry IV, Part 1.

Any starter points about possible arguments is greatly appreciated! I seem to be a bit stuck in starting a response.
HSC 2018: Studies of Religion 1
HSC 2019: English Advanced | Biology | Chemistry | Mathematics | Mathematics Ext.1

my hsc studygram: @orenji.study

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4436 on: July 22, 2019, 04:51:22 pm »
+2
In a "to what extent" question, is it considered unsophisticated to fully agree with a statement - or must you always present both sides of the argument? Because I'm finding quite often that I agree wholly with the stimulus.

Hey, classof2019!

Sophistication lies in having a judgement which you stick by with, argue with confidence and provide evidence to support it. As long as you do that, you are free to take any stance with a statement. In subjects like Modern History, moderate extent responses are usually more common but with English, you can definitely agree with the stimulus to a great/the utmost extent! Hope that answers your question  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

classof2019

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4437 on: July 22, 2019, 08:24:47 pm »
Hey, classof2019!

Sophistication lies in having a judgement which you stick by with, argue with confidence and provide evidence to support it. As long as you do that, you are free to take any stance with a statement. In subjects like Modern History, moderate extent responses are usually more common but with English, you can definitely agree with the stimulus to a great/the utmost extent! Hope that answers your question  :)

Angelina  ;D

Thank you!

Just another question - if an essay question provides you with an excerpt from your text and asks you to "make close reference to the quotation", do you treat it as a stimulus or just a piece of analysed evidence (like any ordinary quote from the text)?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4438 on: July 22, 2019, 10:16:48 pm »
+2
Thank you!

Just another question - if an essay question provides you with an excerpt from your text and asks you to "make close reference to the quotation", do you treat it as a stimulus or just a piece of analysed evidence (like any ordinary quote from the text)?

Hey, again!

You would consider the conceptual basis of the quotation and treat it as a stimulus. This can be done by drawing connections between the quotation and the provided question. I would also recommend that you use it as one of your pieces of analysed evidence to show that you've engaged with the quotation on the spot and not just rote learned a response  :) Hope that makes sense!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

therese07

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #4439 on: July 22, 2019, 10:49:02 pm »
+1
Hi there!

I'm studying T.S. Eliot and I was wondering, what are the chances of HSC testing us on three poems? Usually, from the old syllabus, it was either two poems, or a prescribed poem and another of choice. But because it is a new syllabus, I was wondering if that "two poem" pattern could possibly change?

Thank you!
2020: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Law @ Macquarie University