Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 07:34:03 pm

Author Topic: RMIT Credit Transfer?  (Read 3814 times)  Share 

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +44
RMIT Credit Transfer?
« on: August 17, 2017, 05:29:15 pm »
Hey guys, I've got to choose my subjects for year 12 next year. I'm considering doing the UMEP Economics program. But I had a question. Since you get credit for the year's work you've done, would I be able to transfer that credit from UoM to Monash? Reason being as I want to go into Monash after I complete VCE, and if I won't be able to transfer the credit I've done from UoM to Monash, then there won't be any point (in my belief) to do the UMEP.

I would be seeking to get credit from a UMEP Economics program to a Monash Commerce or Commerce/(Some other double degree subject? degree.

EDIT: My grades aren't too good for UMEP. However, they are fine for RMIT Extension Economics. So I was wondering, if I would be able to get a credit transfer from RMIT Extension Economics to a commerce degree at Monash?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:35:34 pm by forbiddensoulxx »
VCE
Spoiler
2017: Psychology [45]
2018: Economics [50] Legal Studies [42] Methods [37] Accounting [46] English Language [36]
ATAR: 98.4
Open to tutoring and selling notes for some of these subjects, PM me for more details!

Uni
Spoiler
Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
Re: UMEP Credit Transfer?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 08:25:44 pm »
+2
Hey guys, I've got to choose my subjects for year 12 next year. I'm considering doing the UMEP Economics program. But I had a question. Since you get credit for the year's work you've done, would I be able to transfer that credit from UoM to Monash? Reason being as I want to go into Monash after I complete VCE, and if I won't be able to transfer the credit I've done from UoM to Monash, then there won't be any point (in my belief) to do the UMEP.

Edit: Forgot to mention I would be seeking to get credit from a UMEP Economics program to a Monash Commerce or Commerce/(Some other double degree subject? degree.
Definitely possible! I didn't do UMEP Economics, but did Maths, and was able to successfully able to gain credit (at Monash) for the two Maths units I did. It's highly likely (although not certain) that Monash would have an equivalent unit in their commerce degree which you would be able to gain credit for using your UMEP Economics  :)

As a side note: even if you didn't want to transfer credit, you may find that experiencing a university subject through the extension program may be beneficial for you. Since you have already had exposure to a first year economics unit at UoM - this may help you when you revisit the same material at Monash. More importantly, you'll be able to experience what it's like to actually attend at uni, and will have an idea of what to expect after you finish Year 12  :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:27:35 pm by VanillaRice »
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 10:36:57 pm »
Definitely possible! I didn't do UMEP Economics, but did Maths, and was able to successfully able to gain credit (at Monash) for the two Maths units I did. It's highly likely (although not certain) that Monash would have an equivalent unit in their commerce degree which you would be able to gain credit for using your UMEP Economics  :)

As a side note: even if you didn't want to transfer credit, you may find that experiencing a university subject through the extension program may be beneficial for you. Since you have already had exposure to a first year economics unit at UoM - this may help you when you revisit the same material at Monash. More importantly, you'll be able to experience what it's like to actually attend at uni, and will have an idea of what to expect after you finish Year 12  :)

Thanks a lot for that! Would you be able to describe the process of how you gained the credit from UoM to Monash? Also, how 'strict' are they on their prerequisite grades. Since economics requires an average of A in methods 1/2 and economics 1/2, I've got the economics part covered, but my average for methods is considerably lower (C+).

And ooh one last question, did you not find the UMEP was too much work due to travelling and all, on top of all your VCE 3/4 subjects? Was it a manageable workload and what not?
VCE
Spoiler
2018: Economics [50] Legal Studies [42] Methods [37] Accounting [46] English Language [36]
Open to tutoring and selling notes for some of these subjects, PM me for more details!

Uni
Spoiler

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 05:28:07 pm »
+3
Thanks a lot for that! Would you be able to describe the process of how you gained the credit from UoM to Monash? Also, how 'strict' are they on their prerequisite grades. Since economics requires an average of A in methods 1/2 and economics 1/2, I've got the economics part covered, but my average for methods is considerably lower (C+).

And ooh one last question, did you not find the UMEP was too much work due to travelling and all, on top of all your VCE 3/4 subjects? Was it a manageable workload and what not?
You can ask the student services for your faculty (if you do Commerce, it'll be the Business/Economics faculty student services) for a credit transfer form. You'll fill out the form and attach a copy of your academic transcript, as well as the unit outline for your unit from the UoM handbook (you can actually hand in the form separately and email them your transcript/unit outline - that's what I did). From there, you'll just wait for the outcome :)

I'm not too sure about how strict they are on the requirements, but since your grade is somewhat lower than the minimum, I would suggest that you email them to find out more :)

I did UMEP maths, and it was convenient for me since there are a few school centres around the Melbourne that host UMEP maths, with my nearest school centre was a 5 minute walk from my own school :P However, for economics, the only option is to take the unit on campus at Parkville. The lectures (2 x 1 hour a week for economics according to the UMEP page) won't be compulsory (you'll be able to watch the recordings online), but it's likely you'll have to come onto campus once a week for the 1 hour tutorial (not sure if they're compulsory). From my friends who did UMEP subjects on campus, I've heard that the program is quite flexible and accommodating for VCE students, and will help you find a tutorial that will suit your own timetable. You might even be able to schedule your classes for after school. I would argue that the workload is equivalent to a VCE subject, so it's important to assess whether or not you think you'll be able to cope.
VCE 2015-16

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 06:06:58 pm »
Thanks a lot for your answers and help. You've been a great help! :D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 06:30:04 pm by forbiddensoulxx »
VCE
Spoiler

Uni
Spoiler

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
Re: RMIT Credit Transfer?
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 04:36:43 pm »
My grades aren't too good for UMEP. However, they are fine for RMIT Extension Economics. So I was wondering, if I would be able to get a credit transfer from RMIT Extension Economics to a commerce degree at Monash?
VCE
Spoiler

Uni
Spoiler

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
Re: RMIT Credit Transfer?
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 09:49:50 pm »
+1
My grades aren't too good for UMEP. However, they are fine for RMIT Extension Economics. So I was wondering, if I would be able to get a credit transfer from RMIT Extension Economics to a commerce degree at Monash?
Yes, provided there is a significant overlap with a unit at Monash (I do suspect that there would be some form of economics unit at Monash that would be equivalent to your RMIT Extension Economics unit), and you pass the unit, it is likely you will be able to apply for credit transfer :)
VCE 2015-16