Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 06:47:33 am

Author Topic: Cambridge Checkpoints HSC Economics 2016-18  (Read 2516 times)  Share 

Iminschool

• Forum Regular
  • Sup
  • Respect: +1
Cambridge Checkpoints HSC Economics 2016-18
« on: January 11, 2017, 11:50:36 pm »
Have any of you guys used this book or any from this series for that matter? And what do you like best about its features?

P.S I'm asking this as i have recently purchased this book and it is on its way through shipping
2016: Mathematics 92
2017 aims: Physics 96
Chemistry 94
Economics 93
English Advanced 90

ATAR AIM: 98ish

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
Re: Cambridge Checkpoints HSC Economics 2016-18
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 09:32:47 am »
Have any of you guys used this book or any from this series for that matter? And what do you like best about its features?

P.S I'm asking this as i have recently purchased this book and it is on its way through shipping

Hey there,

So I didn't buy this book or any textbooks for economics, except the Dixon one as this was the one issued by my school. However, the day of the exam I had not studied practically at all and went to the library and saw the checkpoints book. Because it was sooo much thinner than every other textbook, I used it to cram.
After using it, I would say that it is not super helpful as the explanations are incredibly brief having almost a whole chapter per page (the pages are only A6/A5 size). I would use this book just to review each section, not to use as a primary textbook as it was missing a whole lot of testable information. In saying this, it is concise and covers just enough to pass; I wouldn't trust the most 'current' statistics in that book, as these figures change constantly; but for a trend analysis over the last decade, these numbers should be fine :)

Also, there are only past examination questions up til 2014 - i know you can get them online but it would be much more convenient if they had them there in the book, sorted by topic - the explanation for these answers are not that thorough either. As for the 'revision/study card' things, I couldn't rip them out cos it was a library book but I see how these would be useful if you were really ceebs to read the textbook

Let me know how you find it, since my only interaction with it was when I was extremely stressed before the exam so my opinion may be biased. :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

Iminschool

• Forum Regular
  • Sup
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:58:41 am »
Hey there,

So I didn't buy this book or any textbooks for economics, except the Dixon one as this was the one issued by my school. However, the day of the exam I had not studied practically at all and went to the library and saw the checkpoints book. Because it was sooo much thinner than every other textbook, I used it to cram.
After using it, I would say that it is not super helpful as the explanations are incredibly brief having almost a whole chapter per page (the pages are only A6/A5 size). I would use this book just to review each section, not to use as a primary textbook as it was missing a whole lot of testable information. In saying this, it is concise and covers just enough to pass; I wouldn't trust the most 'current' statistics in that book, as these figures change constantly; but for a trend analysis over the last decade, these numbers should be fine :)

Also, there are only past examination questions up til 2014 - i know you can get them online but it would be much more convenient if they had them there in the book, sorted by topic - the explanation for these answers are not that thorough either. As for the 'revision/study card' things, I couldn't rip them out cos it was a library book but I see how these would be useful if you were really ceebs to read the textbook

Let me know how you find it, since my only interaction with it was when I was extremely stressed before the exam so my opinion may be biased. :)

Thanks for your input.
Wow, ok so i see that this book is suited for last minute revision i guess but i had no idea it was A5 size, that'll be interesting  :). As long as it has a purpose that i can make of it, i should be alright.

Just a question about the questions in the book, is it like 'Success One' in a sense that it has all the HSC past papers up until 2014, sorted by year?
And also does the book give you space to answer inside the book?

I'll be sure to give my verdict upon using the book in the near future.
2016: Mathematics 92
2017 aims: Physics 96
Chemistry 94
Economics 93
English Advanced 90

ATAR AIM: 98ish

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 10:14:22 pm »
Thanks for your input.
Wow, ok so i see that this book is suited for last minute revision i guess but i had no idea it was A5 size, that'll be interesting  :). As long as it has a purpose that i can make of it, i should be alright.

Just a question about the questions in the book, is it like 'Success One' in a sense that it has all the HSC past papers up until 2014, sorted by year?
And also does the book give you space to answer inside the book?

I'll be sure to give my verdict upon using the book in the near future.

Hey there :)

So this book is an incredibly condensed version of the course, it gives you a very concise rundown of the topic and then maybe 1-2 examples of a hsc question for that topic. From memory, this is how the book was set out and didn't have very much room to write, especially since the questions chosen were mainly multiple choice and short answer.

I do recall that there is around 10 pages for suggested answers to past examinsation questions and then i think they go through maybe 2 exams (2013-2014 according to the contents page online) and give suggested answers to those.

Let me know how you find the book though... your experience may be wildly different to mine :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW