Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 04:49:14 am

Author Topic: Content Qs  (Read 953 times)  Share 

Nialllovespie

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Content Qs
« on: January 03, 2017, 10:08:09 am »
Hey,
I just had a few questions regarding the economics context..
1. Do we need to know what the Foreign Investment Review Board is? We definitely didn't go through it in class but it's appearing in a HSC economics work book...

2.  In how much detail do we need to know the common free trade agreements?

3. Also how much detail do we need to know about the GFC? And is it going to be "out of date" to discuss by the time we do our 2017 HSC?

4. Does anyone know an example of dumping?

Thanks so much in advance

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
Re: Content Qs
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 06:34:14 pm »
Hey,
I just had a few questions regarding the economics context..
1. Do we need to know what the Foreign Investment Review Board is? We definitely didn't go through it in class but it's appearing in a HSC economics work book...

2.  In how much detail do we need to know the common free trade agreements?

3. Also how much detail do we need to know about the GFC? And is it going to be "out of date" to discuss by the time we do our 2017 HSC?

4. Does anyone know an example of dumping?

Thanks so much in advance

Hi Niallovespie,
Awesome to see that you are getting ahead, tackling economics is no easy feat and is greatly benefitted by starting early.

1. The FIRB is not an incredibly important part of the syllabus; I would just know the bare minimum - what it is and an example of what it's done (e.g. Shell) which can be used as an example in an essay (if relevant)

2. The syllabus requires you to know 2 bi lateral and 2 multi lateral free trade agreements; you don't have to know them super in depth but know things like  what the agreement entails (tax reductions etc.), advantages, disadvantages, effect on globalisation etc.

3. You are most likely not going to know or write about what the GFC specifically is, but it did cause many changes to the global economy which can be used across most parts of the syllaus. I would say that the GFC is probably not 'out of date' as it is one of the more recent events which can most definitely be used in essays.

4. "China is the world's largest producer of silk and India is its largest market. The problem is that India is also a major manufacturer of silk. Indian silk producers claim that the price of Chinese silk in India is so low that they cannot compete. They say the Chinese must be "dumping", or selling their products at below what they cost to produce." from the article http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5224370.stm

Hope this helps, let me know if you need further clarification - wrote these answers in a rush :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

Nialllovespie

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: Content Qs
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 03:08:51 pm »
THANKYOU!!!!!!!!! Exactly the explanation I needed!! Thanks so much