Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:26:42 am

Author Topic: Stages of developmental plasticity  (Read 13514 times)  Share 

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Stages of developmental plasticity
« on: July 14, 2012, 09:59:18 pm »
Do we need to know the five stages from proliferation to myelination? I don't think it's in the Grivas book.

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
Re: Stages of developmental plasticity
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:21:01 pm »
+2
You don't have to know it (I doubt it'd come up in the exam) but it could always come up in sacs I guess! :-\ Just a few definitions to learn so you might as well :)

5 stages of Developmental plasticity:
> proliferation - unborn baby's cells (that are eventually going to become neurons) divide and multiply creating 250,000 cells p/min
> migration - the newly formed neurons move or 'migrate' to their specified destination in the brain
> circuit formation - axons of the neurons branch out to target cells and form synapses with them
> circuit pruning - way too many neurons and synapses form in the brain (more than the child will ever need) and so these are eliminated or 'pruned' in this stage
> myelination - the axons of however many neurons remain are myelineated (insulated with a white fatty substance called myelin) and this helps to not only increase neural transmission but also stops electrical interference between neurons
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Stages of developmental plasticity
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 12:31:50 pm »
Awesome, thanks :)