Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:39:16 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1232011 times)

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #3405 on: February 03, 2018, 06:10:15 pm »

Hello

I was searching up Discovery notes for poetry and I happened to see katie,rinos' table for Robert Frost poetry. I'm doing Robert Gray (also poetry), but I'd like to ask if it's necessary to do notes for all the poems from the anthology according to the rubric. So far, I've only done notes for 2 poems as a process (so catalyst, process and impact).  I go tutoring outside of school and my tutors have told me to know all 6 poems, having quotes under all the rubric points because it is possible that they can assign a poem in the HSC exam. What are your opinions on this?

thank you
from theyam

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #3406 on: February 03, 2018, 06:17:13 pm »
+3
Hello

I was searching up Discovery notes for poetry and I happened to see katie,rinos' table for Robert Frost poetry. I'm doing Robert Gray (also poetry), but I'd like to ask if it's necessary to do notes for all the poems from the anthology according to the rubric. So far, I've only done notes for 2 poems as a process (so catalyst, process and impact).  I go tutoring outside of school and my tutors have told me to know all 6 poems, having quotes under all the rubric points because it is possible that they can assign a poem in the HSC exam. What are your opinions on this?

thank you
from theyam

Hey,
Usually for the discovery module, they won't ask you a specific poem. They will only do so for Module B. They assign one question for the essay in Paper 1, which is to be answered by all texts and so, they will never ask for a specific poem. Module B is definitely possible; they assigned Journey of the Magi last year for those doing TS Eliot (like myself).

arkham1511

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3407 on: February 03, 2018, 08:12:13 pm »
Hello

I chose Distant Lands by Tim Winton as a related text for The Tempest AOS essay, but im finding it hard to make links. The only link I could make was that a new environment or experience was a catalyst for discovery. Can you guys please help me out with that?

Thanks  :)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3408 on: February 03, 2018, 08:24:34 pm »
+2
Hello

I chose Distant Lands by Tim Winton as a related text for The Tempest AOS essay, but im finding it hard to make links. The only link I could make was that a new environment or experience was a catalyst for discovery. Can you guys please help me out with that?

Hey there!
Although I don't know much about the text, maybe you can use this as a source.

But remember, if your related text doesn't match the themes of discovery in The Tempest, that's fine! You can contrast the different ways of discovery. In fact, my teacher (who is a retired HSC marker) said that HSC markers like the contrast! It shows that you have a sophisticated approach to understanding the fact that discovery isn't the same for everyone. For example, I mention a lot that in The Tempest, it shows a positive aspect of discovery but my related text shows a negative aspect of discovery. Sure, both elements of discovery don't overlap but as long as I can make a link to the two texts and juxtapose, it shows that I have an in-depth understanding of discovery and know that the journey towards discovery is unique.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #3409 on: February 03, 2018, 09:11:50 pm »
+3
Hello

Hey!
I'm doing distant lands as a related text as well.
This is some of the notes i had:
Concept: While discoveries can emerge from careful planning, it is often discoveries that are unexpected that provide the most intensely meaningful and unexpected and surprising of consequences.

“big greyhound rolled past going north to the city” metaphor for the dullness of her life-describes the situation that has fueled her CONSEQUENT discovery.

Bus going to the city indicates she lives in a country town. Country towns have typically routine and boring lives
Fat Maz is sheltered and unchallenged in her environment. Positions the audience to believe that any consequences discoveries made by fat maz of any kind will be unexpected, as her her environment does not allow for the stimulation of ideas.

Pakistani man comes in to read distant lands -> becomes motif for his intensely meaningful yet mute connection with Fat Maz. Symbolises the distant lives led by the characters,yet it is a symbol that unites them, despite their differences.

Third person narrator describes attitudes of Fat Maz before and after meeting the Pakistani man.  “she could feel herself getting fatter every day.” Quote educates the audience on the attitude of Fat Maz before meeting the man.

Man then becomes regular and the narrator admits “she had never felt this tacit understanding with anyone before.”
Discovery of their connection is unexpected because something so challenging to the way of thinking is fostered in such a toxic environment.

$50 note at the end of the book is symbolic of Fat Maz’s discovery that she has reasons to

Another person you can talk with is elysepopplewell. She is a regular on these forums and a lecturer. She used distant lands too, so she can give you some good ideas. You can message her Here
Also, definitely check out the notes that owidjaja linked. They are some of the ideas that elyse used for distant lands.
Good luck!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

arkham1511

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3410 on: February 04, 2018, 12:02:50 pm »
+1
Hey there!
Although I don't know much about the text, maybe you can use this as a source.

But remember, if your related text doesn't match the themes of discovery in The Tempest, that's fine! You can contrast the different ways of discovery. In fact, my teacher (who is a retired HSC marker) said that HSC markers like the contrast! It shows that you have a sophisticated approach to understanding the fact that discovery isn't the same for everyone. For example, I mention a lot that in The Tempest, it shows a positive aspect of discovery but my related text shows a negative aspect of discovery. Sure, both elements of discovery don't overlap but as long as I can make a link to the two texts and juxtapose, it shows that I have an in-depth understanding of discovery and know that the journey towards discovery is unique.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much  :D

Hey!
I'm doing distant lands as a related text as well.
This is some of the notes i had:
Concept: While discoveries can emerge from careful planning, it is often discoveries that are unexpected that provide the most intensely meaningful and unexpected and surprising of consequences.

“big greyhound rolled past going north to the city” metaphor for the dullness of her life-describes the situation that has fueled her CONSEQUENT discovery.

Bus going to the city indicates she lives in a country town. Country towns have typically routine and boring lives
Fat Maz is sheltered and unchallenged in her environment. Positions the audience to believe that any consequences discoveries made by fat maz of any kind will be unexpected, as her her environment does not allow for the stimulation of ideas.

Pakistani man comes in to read distant lands -> becomes motif for his intensely meaningful yet mute connection with Fat Maz. Symbolises the distant lives led by the characters,yet it is a symbol that unites them, despite their differences.

Third person narrator describes attitudes of Fat Maz before and after meeting the Pakistani man.  “she could feel herself getting fatter every day.” Quote educates the audience on the attitude of Fat Maz before meeting the man.

Man then becomes regular and the narrator admits “she had never felt this tacit understanding with anyone before.”
Discovery of their connection is unexpected because something so challenging to the way of thinking is fostered in such a toxic environment.

$50 note at the end of the book is symbolic of Fat Maz’s discovery that she has reasons to

Another person you can talk with is elysepopplewell. She is a regular on these forums and a lecturer. She used distant lands too, so she can give you some good ideas. You can message her Here
Also, definitely check out the notes that owidjaja linked. They are some of the ideas that elyse used for distant lands.
Good luck!  :)

Thank you so much  :D

Mod edit: merged double post
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 12:51:39 pm by K888 »

ygol

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3411 on: February 04, 2018, 09:55:43 pm »
hey, i was just wondering whether you could help me write a creative writing piece as I absolutely suck at them. not so much in writing them or coming up with ideas (once i get the ball rolling) its just that i cannot include the ideas of discovery in a "sophisticated manner" as my English teacher told me. According to my English teacher we won't have enough time to go through creative writing and it just so happens to be one of the requirements for this terms assessment task (exam: short answers and creative writing). It would be much appreciated if someone could help (either by giving some dot points or examples of creative writing pieces) and would take quite a bit of stress and worries off my shoulder. Thank you in advance.

legorgo18

• Trendsetter
  • A future lawyer.
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3412 on: February 05, 2018, 12:14:20 am »
hey, i was just wondering whether you could help me write a creative writing piece as I absolutely suck at them. not so much in writing them or coming up with ideas (once i get the ball rolling) its just that i cannot include the ideas of discovery in a "sophisticated manner" as my English teacher told me. According to my English teacher we won't have enough time to go through creative writing and it just so happens to be one of the requirements for this terms assessment task (exam: short answers and creative writing). It would be much appreciated if someone could help (either by giving some dot points or examples of creative writing pieces) and would take quite a bit of stress and worries off my shoulder. Thank you in advance.

Hey i was in the same boat as you, but since its 12 rn i ceebs typing a paragraph, i can share you the creatives i used for trials and the hsc if you want and allow you the spot the difference between them, helping you in this way, feel free to pm me :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English(94), 2U Maths(97), 3U Maths(49), Bio(91), Chem(88), Chinese in context(88)

Atar: 97.55

Studying a bachelor of  actuarial studies/ bachelor of laws at UNSW

Tutoring details: https://highschooltutors.com.au/tutor/12153

2017 Blakehurst internals: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13l8nV_efhmYwlA1hM5grQnymew5pznrn

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3413 on: February 05, 2018, 12:16:41 am »
+2

Hi! This guide could be useful, and definitely check out some exemplar creatives from our Notes section!! :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3414 on: February 05, 2018, 02:44:04 pm »

Feel free to post your creative plot idea/summary when it's in the works and see what people online here think about it in it's earliest stages! We can give feedback early on to your ideas if that's helpful :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

rh1A

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3415 on: February 05, 2018, 07:50:17 pm »
Hey...is it OK to put an ellipsis in your quotes in essays to shorten long quotes and remove the unneeded info in them???

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #3416 on: February 05, 2018, 07:53:31 pm »
Hey...is it OK to put an ellipsis in your quotes in essays to shorten long quotes and remove the unneeded info in them???
Hey, rh1A!

Yep, that's actually encouraged!

rh1A

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3417 on: February 05, 2018, 08:22:36 pm »
Hey, rh1A!

Yep, that's actually encouraged!
Thanks  ;D
Can someone pleeeaaaassseeeee help me with this analysis i have tried to start. It is an absolute mess!!!!! I don't know where to go next to fix it...it is just a jumble of technique and analysis which has no link to the 'thesis' (which probably poor anyway ::) :'() There is no question to answer, but to just say what type of discovery is depicted in the text; how the text shapes/enhances your understanding of Discovery; the language techniques that have been used to convey ideas about Discovery; and, the ways in which the text link with Frost prescribed poems. The word limit is 450-550
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP!!!!!!!!

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens implicitly portray that the confrontation of unexpected discovery facilitates the acquisition of new perspectives and self-discovery. Contrastingly, an unwillingness to be transformed by these challenging revelations, such as in Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost, inhibits the development of new perceptions.

Nature is prominently featured in A Christmas Carol “brewing on a large scale”. The very climate of the story bespeaks an urgency towards something; a need to move and arrive. The weather is also used to describe Scrooges’ character, “No warmth could warm, no wintry chill on him”.  Similarly, Frost uses the metaphorical qualities of snow in, “watch his woods fill up with snow”, to portray an image of death and highlight how discoveries can be confronting and provocative.

The self-discovery of Scrooge and the desire to undo horrors unearthed is the process of a fruitful Advent. As the ghostly mentors of Scrooge held up a mirror to him rigidly, relentlessly, and sometimes reluctantly, he faces an inward conversion and acquisition of new perspectives. Scrooge describes himself, after deciding to lead a new life, “I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as merry as a schoolboy.” The anaphora and repetition of similes illustrates the meaningful impacts of his discovery. Also, demonstrated through the asyndeton, personification and metaphors in “No fog, no mist; clear, bright, jovial, stirring, cold; cold, piping for the blood to dance to; Golden sunlight; Heavenly sky; sweet fresh air; merry bells” the significance of the discovery is revealed as his attitude towards the discovery process changed and his renewed perspective evolved. However, in Stopping by Woods on a Snowy evening the persona loses the opportunity for transformative discovery as emphasised in “but I have promises I have to keep”, where the conjunction “but” indicates an unwillingness to develop unique perceptions. The lamenting tone of “and miles to go before I sleep” and the final stanza’s consistent rhyme reinforces the persona’s incapacity to challenge perceptions, as they conform to the dominant, societal psyche. Contradictory to, an enthusiasm for the ability to be challenged and successfully transformed by an unexpected discovery aids in the achievements of new perceptions, as was the case in A Christmas Carol.

Flora Zhao

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3418 on: February 06, 2018, 10:54:56 pm »
Hey, I'm kind of in desperate need of help with Mod C. My text is Shakespeare's King Henry IV Part 1 for people and politics and I was wondering what related text I should use?

Ellielh

• Trailblazer
  • i always have too many tabs open
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #3419 on: February 06, 2018, 10:57:19 pm »
For English Advanced Module C (People and Politics with The Crucible), is Dead Poet's Society an effective related text? Our question is on political perspectives and personal interests. I was thinking about doing the politics of tradition, what other types could I discuss?

Yes!

Mod edit: merged double post - in the future, click the "modify" button on your post if you have anything to add to avoid double posting :)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:04:48 pm by K888 »
HSC 2018: Chemistry | English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | SOR2

UNI 2019: Bachelor of Science @ ANU