Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:53:12 pm

Author Topic: Vanessa's Journey through Biomed  (Read 1705 times)

VanessaS

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
Vanessa's Journey through Biomed
« on: January 09, 2020, 08:45:57 pm »
+10
Hi everyone,

I have been reading the journals on here lately and I thought why not write one of my own. I will be starting my first year of Biomed at Monash this year.

Why am I writing this journal?
I wanted to document by journey through uni so that I could look back later and see how I have evolved. Also, I feel like it would be a good way to practice my writing.

Why am I doing Biomed? Future plans?
I have wanted to become a doctor for ever since I remember. When I was about 8 years old, my cousin got leukaemia and at that point I started researching a lot about it. That's what sparked my interest in pursuing a medical career. During that time, I wanted to become an oncologist, however now I am more inclined towards neurology.
Because of my inability to get into undergraduate med (owing to my devastating UCAT scores) biomed was the obvious pathway. If I don't get into the MD, I would do something else in the healthcare field, probably Master of Dietetics or Embryology.

What subjects am I taking?
BMS1011 - Biomedical Chemistry
BMS1021 - Cells, tissues and organisms
BMS1031 - Medical biophysics
CHM1011 - Chemistry 1
BMS1042 - Public health and preventative medicine
BMS1052 - Human neurobiology
BMS1062 - Molecular biology
CHM1022 - Chemistry 2

What am I doing during the holidays?
  • Reading: I was a very avid reader when I was younger. However, because of the stresses of VCE I had stopped reading for the past 2 years. I hope to continue my reading habit while at uni (we'll see how that goes ;)) Currently, I am reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. If anyone has any book recommendations please tell me
  • Exercise: Another activity that I haven't been doing due to a lack of time during VCE. I have been going for a run 3-4 times a week in the holidays, except for a few times making the excuse that it was too hot
  • Trying to find a job: I have send applications to many places but have got no replies or rejections so far. I might try to go in person to my local stores in the next few days.

Overall, I am very excited to start uni and meet everyone else doing the biomed course  :D Hope to post my updates soon once I start uni
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:38:02 pm by VanessaS »
Offering Tutoring for Biology, Psychology and Methods in 2020

Monash Biomed Journal

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
Re: Vanessa's Journey through Biomed
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 09:31:11 pm »
+2
Hey Vanessa, keen to hear more about your journey through biomedicine! All of your subjects sound super interesting! I'm a big fan of biochemistry & molecular biology myself. ;D

It's cool to see you making the most of your holidays! Hope the job search goes well!
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 08:38:07 am »
+1
Have a really great break with the reading and exercise. How great does it feel to have free time? ;D What interests you about neurology? Best of luck with the job hunting!

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 09:41:29 am »
Hey Vanessa
As a student also interested in studying Biomed in the near future I am really excited to hear how your progress and your experience of the course. Can't wait for future updates and good luck job hunting as well.  :D
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

VanessaS

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 07:52:27 pm »
+3
Have a really great break with the reading and exercise. How great does it feel to have free time? ;D What interests you about neurology? Best of luck with the job hunting!
Thank you!
Tbh I had no idea what to do with all the free time once exams were over. But yeah, finally after so long it feels good to have nothing to worry about.
I want to do neurology becuase I just find it so interesting how complex and intricate the human brain is. I also really enjoyed doing Psychology in VCE.
Offering Tutoring for Biology, Psychology and Methods in 2020

Monash Biomed Journal

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 09:11:34 pm »
I want to do neurology becuase I just find it so interesting how complex and intricate the human brain is. I also really enjoyed doing Psychology in VCE.
It really is fascinating. Does mental illness interest you, or neurological conditions and disabilities? Or something completely different?