Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:22:35 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570596 times)  Share 

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #9465 on: October 23, 2017, 08:35:42 pm »
Can someone pls explain Q8c vcaa ex2 2015?
Why can't stratigraphy be used to date the fossils?
I think you mean 2005 and not 2015 :).
This is because stratigraphy isn't as accurate enough to date fossils compared to radioactive carbon dating or radio isotope dating.
Stratigraphy is just comparing layers of rocks together.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:38:05 pm by zofromuxo »
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #9466 on: October 23, 2017, 08:45:25 pm »
Hmm not entirely sure. Maybe it wanted a form of absolute dating but it asked for an estimation (rather than absolute) of the age which seems a bit weird. Could have been because they mention the sediments were 13,000 years old ie. they already know the age of the sediments (although that could have been to rule out carbon 14 dating.)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #9467 on: October 23, 2017, 09:19:00 pm »

Consider the age range of the sediments they are found in and their predicted place in the evolutionary tree. 13000 to 94000 is a considerably large timespan.

ezferns

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9468 on: October 23, 2017, 09:40:49 pm »
Oh yeah sorry I meant 2005, I'm not thinking straight atm :/

Consider the age range of the sediments they are found in and their predicted place in the evolutionary tree. 13000 to 94000 is a considerably large timespan.

What do you mean by this? The question said for the fossils found in sediment 13000 years old so I assume it's only referring to these fossils?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #9469 on: October 24, 2017, 07:35:52 am »
+2
Oh yeah sorry I meant 2005, I'm not thinking straight atm :/

What do you mean by this? The question said for the fossils found in sediment 13000 years old so I assume it's only referring to these fossils?
"Bones from six or seven individuals have been
discovered in sediments ranging in age from 94 000 to 13 000 years."
"Suggest a method by which the ages of the bones of Homo floresiensis were estimated if found in sediments
13 000 years old."
When you use stratigraphy, you compare the location of fossils of known age to the H. Florensis. however, given the range of ages that the H. Florensis occupied, when you use this technique, you use multiple areas, not just the sediment in which these fossils have been found. You would be unable to draw a reliable conclusion from this, due to the target species sometimes appearing above/below the species you are using for comparison.
 Given that they had some cultural evolution, it also seems possible that they had burial procedures, which would have also made stratigraphy an inappropriate technique.

I hope that this makes more sense

Seno72

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #9470 on: October 24, 2017, 07:54:19 am »
Hello guys. For the development of pelvis over the evolution of hominins, has the pelvis become more shorter and wider? Is this wording correct?
Biology -38 (2017)
Further Maths- 44 (2018)
Methods - 39 (2018)
Chemistry - 41 (2018)
Physics - 43 (2018)
English - 41 (2018)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #9471 on: October 24, 2017, 08:06:35 am »
Well 'more shorter' is bad English :P but aside from that it is correct. If you want it to sound more specific you could say reduced in length and increased in width.

Edit: :-[ Is that better? (I actually don't know the correct way to say it I'm not even doing English this year lol.)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:04:38 am by PhoenixxFire »

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #9472 on: October 24, 2017, 08:13:28 am »
Hello guys. For the development of pelvis over the evolution of hominins, has the pelvis become more shorter and wider? Is this wording correct?

Well 'more shorter' is bad English :P but other then that it is correct. If you want it to sound more specific you could say reduced in length and increased in width.
Always be more specific. Trust me. I think in one year there was a VCCA question can't remember which one, where majority of the state got wrong due to a few students being really specific in their answers, the others weren't wrong. But they weren't specific .
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #9473 on: October 24, 2017, 09:43:49 am »

Well 'more shorter' is bad English :P but other then that it is correct. If you want it to sound more specific you could say reduced in length and increased in width.

“other then that” is bad English too. You won’t be penalised for poor expression unless as long as your meaning is clear.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Domek

• Adventurer
« Reply #9474 on: October 24, 2017, 01:16:51 pm »
Hi there!
I have quite a few questions...
1. What are the causes of the release of histamine?
2. How do APC’s distinguish between self and non-self antigens?
3. Percentage vs. raw: why is it better to have percentage change rather than raw data?
4. What chemical plant barriers should we definitely know?
5. Can you use abbreviations for pretty much anything if you define it first? like this: rough endoplasmic reticulum (RER) and then just use RER
6. Can endo/exocytosis be considered forms of active transport?
7. When lactose binds to repressor protein, is it non-competitive inhibition?
Thank you! :D
2016 - 2018: VCE, ATAR - 99.2, Biology - 48, Chemistry - 46
2019 - 2021: Bachelor of Science - University of Melbourne (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #9475 on: October 24, 2017, 01:32:57 pm »
+2
1. There are many causes: Damage to the surrounding tissue, cross linking of bound antibodies (an allergic response), it can also be released by some medicine (including morphine and some antibiotics - but we don't need to know this)

2. We don't need to know the specifics for VCE so I don't know but Vox can probably tell you?

3. Percentage change is more accurate as all the samples may not be exactly the same at the start of the experiment. Eg. Doing an experiment on osmosis by measuring the weight of potato strips - you are not likely to be able to get all of them exactly the same weight so % change is more accurate - otherwise the results do not take into account the difference in the original weight.

4. Unsure on this (I don't know any  :-\ - more things for me to revise)

5. Yes, so long as you write it out and put the abbreviation in brackets you can. - You can also use any they've abbreviated in the stem without writing it out in full.

6. Yep! They are definitely active transport - Generally anything that doesn't have diffusion in its name is active.

7. It is not inhibition as the repressor protein is not an enzyme - however it does bind to a different site, not the site that binds to the operator (as that site is bound to the operator when the lactose binds to it.)

Let me know if any of that doesn't make sense  :)

ezferns

• Forum Regular
« Reply #9476 on: October 24, 2017, 05:18:37 pm »
"Bones from six or seven individuals have been
discovered in sediments ranging in age from 94 000 to 13 000 years."
"Suggest a method by which the ages of the bones of Homo floresiensis were estimated if found in sediments
13 000 years old."
When you use stratigraphy, you compare the location of fossils of known age to the H. Florensis. however, given the range of ages that the H. Florensis occupied, when you use this technique, you use multiple areas, not just the sediment in which these fossils have been found. You would be unable to draw a reliable conclusion from this, due to the target species sometimes appearing above/below the species you are using for comparison.
 Given that they had some cultural evolution, it also seems possible that they had burial procedures, which would have also made stratigraphy an inappropriate technique.

I hope that this makes more sense

Thankyou that does make sense!

Can someone please explain to me the differences between accuracy, validity, precision and validity?

TheBigC

« Reply #9477 on: October 24, 2017, 06:09:04 pm »
Can someone please explain to me the differences between accuracy, validity, precision and validity?
[/quote]

Okay...
Accuracy: How close the found results (in the experiment) are to the ACTUAL theoretical value or known theory per se. (Accuracy, A = Actual)
Precision: How close the found results are to ONE ANOTHER.
Validity: In biology, this can be improved by using a CONTROL group to ensure the experiment is providing results based on what the experiment was INTENDED to find.
Reliablity (I believe this is what you meant): Again, in biology, this can be improved through repeating an experiment, ensuring the obtained results are CONSISTENT (and hence more likely true to theory)...

Seno72

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #9478 on: October 24, 2017, 06:50:17 pm »
+2
For plant hormones I believe you need to know about auxins, gibberellins, abscissic Acid, cytokinins and ethylene
Biology -38 (2017)
Further Maths- 44 (2018)
Methods - 39 (2018)
Chemistry - 41 (2018)
Physics - 43 (2018)
English - 41 (2018)

helpmepls112

• Adventurer
« Reply #9479 on: October 24, 2017, 09:47:33 pm »
How much and how detailed do we need to know about BMP4 and master genes? There seems to be heaps of questions on this on the prac exams...