Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:02:45 am

Author Topic: Biomedical engineering  (Read 1273 times)  Share 

Rumena

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Biomedical engineering
« on: February 14, 2020, 05:23:01 pm »
Hey everyone,
So I just graduated from biomed and will be starting biomedical engineering this year. Throughout the 3 years I always thought I would apply for med, but I kind of lost interest in becoming a doctor since realising that I don't have the right personality or mindset fit for a doctor. Therefore I applied for BME instead. However, from what I've seen online, there aren't much jobs for biomedical engineers. As a result I am now freaking out and really unsure of my future. The other option is to do civil engineering instead, which has much better job prospects. But it would feel weird pursuing a completely different career, which is mainly the reason why I chose BME than anything else.
I was wondering what your opinions are and if anyone doing/has done BME could give me some insight?

Thank you

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Biomedical engineering
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 07:15:39 pm »
+3
I don't know much about the biomedical engineering job market but engineering in general is one of the most employable fields in AUS and the world.

Might be worth having a look at this booklet from unimelb on biomedical engineering.

https://eng.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/2942712/eng-biomedical-careers.pdf

It shows a rough career progression - when you first graduate you only have two options (as shown in the pdf) being "biomedical research engineer" and a "graduate biomedical engineering" once you have the experience you will be open to more and more opportunities.

You could possibly talk to some people running biomedical engineering at unimelb and talk about the recent graduates and what sort of job prospects they have had.

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +53
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2009
Re: Biomedical engineering
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 12:00:59 pm »
Hey Rumena, have you considered computational biology and/or data science? You would probably have the right background and those are rapidly growing fields (especially computational biology, statistical genomics/bioinformatics etc).
2012-2015 - Doctor of Medicine (MD) @ UniMelb
2010-2011 - Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Pure Mathematics @ UniMelb
2009 - VCE [99.70] -- Eng [43] - Methods [44] - Chem [44] - JapSL [45] - Spesh [45] - MUEP Jap [5.5]