Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:56:57 am

Author Topic: Need help on identifying the correct English technique in a quote!  (Read 764 times)

preliminary17hsc18

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Hello hello,
I need a bit of help in identifying the right technique that would be in this quote:
'This was a legitimate end to a life of illegitimate beginnings.'
It sort of reminds me of chiasmus, however I don't think that's really the technique being used here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!  :D

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
Re: Need help on identifying the correct English technique in a quote!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 01:48:38 pm »
+3
Hello hello,
I need a bit of help in identifying the right technique that would be in this quote:
'This was a legitimate end to a life of illegitimate beginnings.'
It sort of reminds me of chiasmus, however I don't think that's really the technique being used here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!  :D

Hi...
It probably has a few other techniques, but the main one that stood out to me was antithesis. 'Legitimate' is a polar opposite to 'illegitimate', and 'end' is also to 'beginning'. This makes for a strong contrast. That's my take on it anyways... hope this is somewhat helpful!
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

preliminary17hsc18

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Re: Need help on identifying the correct English technique in a quote!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 02:23:13 pm »
+1
Hi...
It probably has a few other techniques, but the main one that stood out to me was antithesis. 'Legitimate' is a polar opposite to 'illegitimate', and 'end' is also to 'beginning'. This makes for a strong contrast. That's my take on it anyways... hope this is somewhat helpful!

Great, that's just what I was looking for. Thanks!