Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 09:08:52 pm

Author Topic: Self-selected text confusion  (Read 579 times)

juneacker101

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Self-selected text confusion
« on: January 07, 2018, 03:18:52 pm »
Hello!
I plan on doing Kate Chopin's The Story of an Hour for my self selected text. I plan on talking about how discoveries can lead to a new understanding and transformation of oneself, but i'm a little bit confused. In the short story, Mrs. Mallard, discovery that her husband is alive results in her death. I feel like this might go against what I'm trying to argue because if she ended up dead did she really transform? I understand that her new understanding of herself is that she felt confined and gained a sense of freedom. What i'm basically trying to say is how to i incorporate her discovery of her husband into my essay. Thank you very much!!!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: Self-selected text confusion
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 09:38:07 pm »
+1
Hello!
I plan on doing Kate Chopin's The Story of an Hour for my self selected text. I plan on talking about how discoveries can lead to a new understanding and transformation of oneself, but i'm a little bit confused. In the short story, Mrs. Mallard, discovery that her husband is alive results in her death. I feel like this might go against what I'm trying to argue because if she ended up dead did she really transform? I understand that her new understanding of herself is that she felt confined and gained a sense of freedom. What i'm basically trying to say is how to i incorporate her discovery of her husband into my essay. Thank you very much!!!
Remember that you don't always need to argue WITH your question. Perhaps you could try arguing AGAINST it?
Perhaps you may want to attempt to play devils advocate with the question. If this is confusing but appealing to you, then here is a guide i wrote regarding  playing the devils advocate. This could be a useful idea, as you sound like you can' think of a clear way of incorporating this into your essay,
Hope this helps!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU