Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:36:19 pm

Author Topic: Do I need enviro if I want to be a geologist?  (Read 4027 times)  Share 

whatami

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Do I need enviro if I want to be a geologist?
« on: November 12, 2019, 07:33:42 pm »
I'm about to go into year 12 and I've already finished bio unit 3/4 and I have five unit 1/2 subjects, but I'm going to drop chem at the end of the year. I think I want to still have five subjects next year, and I'm tossing up between picking up english 3/4 (I just do lit right now) or enviro 3/4. I've never done environmental science before but I have done bio, physics and chem. Do you think enviro would be necessary if I want to be a geologist? Because if not I'll do english or just not pick up another subject.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Do I need enviro if I want to be a geologist?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 07:42:21 pm »
+1
I'm about to go into year 12 and I've already finished bio unit 3/4 and I have five unit 1/2 subjects, but I'm going to drop chem at the end of the year. I think I want to still have five subjects next year, and I'm tossing up between picking up english 3/4 (I just do lit right now) or enviro 3/4. I've never done environmental science before but I have done bio, physics and chem. Do you think enviro would be necessary if I want to be a geologist? Because if not I'll do english or just not pick up another subject.
Certainly not necessary - it isn't a prereq for any uni degree as far as I know. However, it may give you a better idea of whether you actually enjoy that field which may be useful for you.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

schola300

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Do I need enviro if I want to be a geologist?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 07:43:57 pm »
+1
Hello, it somewhat does come down to personal preference. If you are interested in geology, environmental science does cover some concepts of the lithosphere (the Earth's crust and rock layers). There is not a major portion of geology so it would be no stress if you didn't do it as you could easily cover the topics quickly at uni. Subject wise, it is a simple easy subject, seeing as you have already completed bio and physics, it is a much easier science. If you are somewhat interested in the environment and it's processes, the subject is really enjoyable and interesting, not to mention you will probably get a good score given your science background if you were to apply yourself. Personally, I think it would be much easier and a lot less work than English and you could probably get a good grades for little effort if you wanted a bit of a bludge subject but it is really enjoyable if you want a future career in Environmental studies.