Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:22:34 pm

Author Topic: Jigsaw's VCE Journey  (Read 3579 times)

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
Jigsaw's VCE Journey
« on: September 30, 2017, 01:18:55 pm »
+7
Hey, welcome to my first post in my journal! I've decided to create this not only to document and share my experiences with anyone that's interested (and simply willing to read about my vce life ahha), but also to motivate myself to look back on this journal in a few years' time, and think "wow, I can't believe I did that" or "that was a difficult time, but I'm glad I got through it."  :)

Anyway, I guess I should commence my journal by introducing myself! So, hi. I'm Jigsaw; a year 11 student with just over a year of VCE left. Currently, I'm studying 3/4 Business Management, which I've found to be super enjoyable. A lot of people have the predisposition that business management is a 'dry' subject, however, I believe that because of its real world practicality, its a really valuable subject to study. I'm also studying English, Maths Methods, Accounting, Japanese [SL] and Legal Studies, currently all at a Unit 2 level. My favourite subject out of those is probably legal studies; I find it so engaging and rewarding to understand about our very own legal system. This may be in part to my aspirations to study law further down the track, however, I'm still not that sure! Methods is by far, my most challenging subject, however I'm determined to work hard at it, and improve exponentially  :)

These holidays, I've pretty much finished memorising all the content in the business management course, so I'm super happy about that. I'm currently in the process of finalising my case study for the exam. I did my first practice exam today, and I realised that my main issue is to write concise and clearly, rather than waffling on. My aim is to complete some more exams next week. However, I've found that I'm quite distracted studying in my own home, so I might head on down to the State Library, and do some there. Would any of you that are reading this recommend it?

Anyway, I guess that's all for now. I really want to update this regularly, so I'll try to make at least one update a week. Thanks for stopping by.  :)

-Jigsaw

2017: | Business Management [47] |
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

ATAR: 99.40 2019 Onwards: Laws (Hons)/Arts @ Monash

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
Re: Jigsaw's VCE Journey
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 12:14:51 am »
+4
7/10/17

Geez, this week flew by incredibly fast. Kinda not looking forward to school starting on monday; it will probably be the most hectic period I've ever had throughout my schooling. I have exams in week 5, with my 3/4 Exam less than a week before they all start :( Don't really know how I'm going to manage that. I've kind of had the mentality that the only thing contributing towards my ATAR is my 3/4 subject, and hence, throughout the holidays I've mainly focused on that! So I'm a bit anxious of preparation for 1/2 exams getting in the way of crucial 3/4 revision.

This week, I actually ended up studying in the State Library on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday! Because the library opens at 10am, it actually forced me to go to bed earlier, in order to accommodate earlier starts. (This is coming from someone that wakes up at 11:30am normally bahah) I  did 2 practice business management exams a day, so in total I've done 6 practice exams. I'm feeling confident with most of my answers, however I feel like I still need to ensure I'm answering the question without rambling. Whilst I do know all the content, I need to practice answering concisely. Reading the advice on the solutions for the practice exams is really helping with this. But I still struggle with the complexity of 10 markers :(( However, I am gaining more confidence with this).

Tomorrow, I'm planning on revising the whole course again, and maybe attempting the sample exam on the busman vce page (because it is the first year of the new study design); and getting some 1/2 homework done. I also have work from 5-10pm, which I'm looking forward to. I treat it as an outlet from school work. Also, I really want to start running again! And now that its sort of getting warmer, this is only intensifying. I do cross country for school sport during the winter, so I haven't really done much running since then. Maybe I'll use this as a de-stressing tactic. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by this ramble of a journel again, I'll fill you in what happens during the first week back at school  :-\

-Jigsaw

2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 12:31:18 am »
+3
I have exams in week 5, with my 3/4 Exam less than a week before they all start :( Don't really know how I'm going to manage that. I've kind of had the mentality that the only thing contributing towards my ATAR is my 3/4 subject, and hence, throughout the holidays I've mainly focused on that! So I'm a bit anxious of preparation for 1/2 exams getting in the way of crucial 3/4 revision.
I think it's completely normal and reasonable to focus on your 3/4 :)

I also think a lot of other people can sympathise with having to juggle prep for their 1/2 exams whilst worrying about their 3/4 exam! The great thing about year 11 is that in the end, the only thing that matters to VCAA is whether you get that S. Maybe you could ask your teachers for some advice re: preparing for exams?

When I was in year 11, my 3/4 exam was on a Monday, then that Friday my year 11 exams started (with English, I believe). Aside from the revision we did in class, I didn't start study for my 1/2 subjects until after my 3/4 exam, and I don't think it really harmed my results. Plus, like, now a few years on - I remember the results I got in my 3/4, not what I got in my 1/2 exams, if that makes sense.
Realistically, you'll need less revision time for your year 11 subjects because you're getting tested on less content in the exams. Also, because it's your teachers who write the exams, they'll have been directing you towards success throughout the semester without you even realising it - so I would try to not stress out too much, and just get yourself in the mindset of using exams as an avenue to a) show off your knowledge and b) exhibit your ability to work under pressure :)

I hope that the return to school isn't too bad, and good luck for term 4! I'm sure you'll smash it :D Remember that everyone on ATAR Notes is here supporting you. :)

P.S. - exciting about the running! Are you thinking of just doing it on a casual basis, or would you look to join up to an athletics club or something over the summer?

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 07:59:37 am »
+2
As K888 has already stated it is fine and even fact stupid not to focus on your 3/4 exam.
I did the opposite and focus more on 1/2, which was a horrible mistake. As I could have gotten a much, much, much higher study score then I did.
But alas, the past is the past and it is okay to make mistakes as long as you learn from them.

But in terms of 1/2 exams, I'm assuming if you get a S (Pass) overall for each subject you can do it for 3/4. So don't worry too much about their exams and like K888 summed up the teachers guide you to doing well and isn't worth stressing about it.

Also on the running as a de-stressing tactic, I can not highly reccomend this enough. Exercise is good to destress and release endorphins aka feel good chemicals and just a good way to stay healthy in general.

I hope you all the best for your exams and look forward to your updates Jigsaw :D.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 05:51:42 pm »
+3
I think it's completely normal and reasonable to focus on your 3/4 :)

I also think a lot of other people can sympathise with having to juggle prep for their 1/2 exams whilst worrying about their 3/4 exam! The great thing about year 11 is that in the end, the only thing that matters to VCAA is whether you get that S. Maybe you could ask your teachers for some advice re: preparing for exams?

When I was in year 11, my 3/4 exam was on a Monday, then that Friday my year 11 exams started (with English, I believe). Aside from the revision we did in class, I didn't start study for my 1/2 subjects until after my 3/4 exam, and I don't think it really harmed my results. Plus, like, now a few years on - I remember the results I got in my 3/4, not what I got in my 1/2 exams, if that makes sense.
Realistically, you'll need less revision time for your year 11 subjects because you're getting tested on less content in the exams. Also, because it's your teachers who write the exams, they'll have been directing you towards success throughout the semester without you even realising it - so I would try to not stress out too much, and just get yourself in the mindset of using exams as an avenue to a) show off your knowledge and b) exhibit your ability to work under pressure :)

I hope that the return to school isn't too bad, and good luck for term 4! I'm sure you'll smash it :D Remember that everyone on ATAR Notes is here supporting you. :)

P.S. - exciting about the running! Are you thinking of just doing it on a casual basis, or would you look to join up to an athletics club or something over the summer?

Thank you for the advice and words of encouragement! I'll definitely take this onboard; it's great to see others like you who managed just fine  :). In terms of running, I'm planning to do this just on a casual basis - that way I can fit it around my plans that will be somewhat sporadic once holidays start!
As K888 has already stated it is fine and even fact stupid not to focus on your 3/4 exam.
I did the opposite and focus more on 1/2, which was a horrible mistake. As I could have gotten a much, much, much higher study score then I did.
But alas, the past is the past and it is okay to make mistakes as long as you learn from them.

But in terms of 1/2 exams, I'm assuming if you get a S (Pass) overall for each subject you can do it for 3/4. So don't worry too much about their exams and like K888 summed up the teachers guide you to doing well and isn't worth stressing about it.

Also on the running as a de-stressing tactic, I can not highly reccomend this enough. Exercise is good to destress and release endorphins aka feel good chemicals and just a good way to stay healthy in general.

I hope you all the best for your exams and look forward to your updates Jigsaw :D.

Ah, thank you for sharing your experience, I really appreciate it! I'm somewhat feeling relaxed with the position I am now in; with my 1/2's not solely receiving prime attention! And I'll be sure to start running now; there's just so many positives. :)

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 08:23:59 pm »
+2
15.10.17 - Sunday

The first week back at school for term 4 was way less daunting than I thought it would be (though nevertheless busy as always!) The year 12's finish up in just over a week, so, as year 11's, we have to prepare farewell speeches for a year 12 in our tutor group/homeroom. (Our tutor groups/homeroom (the period at the start of the day where roll is taken and notices are read out) comprises of year 10's 11's and 12's). We do this by 'interviewing' the year 12, by asking them questions, such as "what was your favourite memory here at school" etc, and then complile those responses into a short speech. However, the year 12 who I was paired up with was unfortunately absent for the latter half of the week, so I still have a bit to do.

Legal studies was hectic, as we had an extended response test to an unseen stimulus on Friday, as a part of the individual/indigenous rights unit we had studied. The prompt on the test ended up being (for those that are interested haha!) something along the lines of "We have owned this land, and passed it down through generations for thousands of years, long before you mob arrived and claimed it as your own. How do we not own this land?" Using the case of Mabo v State of Queensland and any other applicable cases, discuss this statement. We haven't really done essay type questions in legal yet, so it was a bit new, incorporated legal terminology and cases into an extended response, however I was happy with my response, and finished the paper. So hopefully that goes well!

This week in English, we received our marks back for our language analysis and oral assessments! And I was super stoked with my results. Now, we are working on our comparative component, which involves a film; 'On the Waterfront' and a novel; "My Brother Jack." Not gonna lie, but I found 'My Brother Jack' a really slow read, so its not the most riveting stuff. Also, I'm finding it pretty challenging to do a comparative on works, whereby one is a novel, and one is a film, rather than comparing two novels. But hopefully I'll improve in this area as the term progresses.

In accounting, we're using MYOB software as part of the ICT in accounting unit. It's taking a bit of time to get used to the layout and features of the software, however it is soooo much easier and efficient than doing it all by hand.

In terms of 3/4 work, in business management, we are in full revision mode. I find that I get way more revision done at home, than I do in the classroom. In class at the moment, we are just doing a lecture style fast paced re-cap of the entire course, however I would prefer if we were doing practice exams! It's okay though, we have a practice trial exam on Wednesday after school. I'm getting kinda nervous because the exam is quickly approaching; only 22 days!

Anyway, I may or may not be procrastinating right now by writing this, so I'm gonna finish this update here. I'll leave another update at the conclusion of this week! :)

-Jigsaw

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:31:41 pm by Jigsaw »

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 08:36:47 pm »
+2
15.10.17 - Sunday

The first week back at school for term 4 was way less daunting than I thought it would be (though nevertheless busy as always!) The year 12's finish up in just over a week, so, as year 11's, we have to prepare farewell speeches for a year 12 in our tutor group/homeroom. (Our tutor groups/homeroom (the period at the start of the day where roll is taken and notices are read out) comprises of year 10's 11's and 12's). We do this by 'interviewing' the year 12, by asking them questions, such as "what was your favourite memory here at school" etc, and then complile those responses into a short speech. However, the year 12 who I was paired up with was unfortunately absent for the latter half of the week, so I still have a bit to do.

Legal studies was hectic, as we had an extended response test to an unseen stimulus on Friday, as a part of the individual/indigenous rights unit we had studied. The prompt on the test ended up being (for those that are interested haha!) something along the lines of "We have owned this land, and passed it down through generations for thousands of years, long before you mob arrived and claimed it as your own. How do we not own this land?" Using the case of Mabo v State of Queensland and any other applicable cases, discuss this statement. We haven't really done essay type questions in legal yet, so it was a bit new, incorporated legal terminology and cases into an extended response, however I was happy with my response, and finished the paper. So hopefully that goes well!

This week in English, we received our marks back for our language analysis and oral assessments! And I was super stoked with my results. Now, we are working on our comparative component, which involves a film; 'On the Waterfront' and a novel; "My Brother Jack." Not gonna lie, but I found 'My Brother Jack' a really slow read, so its not the most riveting stuff. Also, I'm finding it pretty challenging to do a comparative on works, whereby one is a novel, and one is a film, rather than comparing two novels. But hopefully I'll improve in this area as the term progresses.

In accounting, we're using MYOB software as part of the ICT in accounting unit. It's taking a bit of time to get used to the layout and features of the software, however it is soooo much easier and efficient than doing it all by hand.

In terms of 3/4 work, in business management, we are in full revision mode. I find that I get way more revision done at home, than I do in the classroom. In class at the moment, we are just doing a lecture style fast paced re-cap of the entire course, however I would prefer if we were doing practice exams! It's okay though, we have a practice trial exam on Wednesday after school. I'm getting kinda nervous because the exam is quickly approaching; only 22 days!

Anyway, I may or may not be procrastinating right now by writing this, so I'm gonna finish this update here. I'll leave another update at the conclusion of this week! :)

-Jigsaw

That's a nice way to farewell the Year 12s, very personal and taliored.
At my school we get letters from a Year 7 student, which was heartwarming, but at times can be awkward. One of my friends got mistaken for a guy.. :/.

Also for my own curiousity, how are you finding the comparative element for English?
I kinda of wish I did on one hand due to struggling in context, but on the other hand if you get given two terrible texts then you could be in big trouble.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 11:17:33 pm »
+3
Hey! It's me.. crazy that it's been just over a month since I wrote an update! For that, I apologise; and to try to make up for it, I'll fill you in from where we left off!  :)

So, at the time of writing this post, I have officially completed my year 11 exams, and thus, year 11 itself! It's crazy to think that this time next year, I will be extremely close to finishing my secondary education forever! Although I'm yearning for post-school life, having a sense of freedom etc, I'm feeling a bit melancholy about it all. Every annual school event next year will be the last time I do it; there will be final fire-drills, final assemblies, final masses, final fun times in class with friends.. So next year, I really want to enjoy and cherish year 12! Because I know that it'll be over in a flash, and there will never be an identical environment filled with the people I see at school on a daily basis, or the experiences we have together, again..

Anyway, I had my 3/4 busman exam on the day before Melbourne Cup. I was surprisingly calm the night before, and the day of the examination, which I was not expecting (I thought I'd be a nervous wreck lol!) I ended up just doing some light revision the day before, and practically nothing the day of. Because it was an afternoon exam, I had a bit of a sleep-in, and made myself an omelette for breakfast. When I arrived at school (about an hour prior), I ended up just chatting to my mates about topics un-related to the busman exam, so there wasn't any final minute stress or anything. Felt good during the examination too, and was pretty happy in terms of how I went overall! Had one stressful moment though, when I misread a question, and had already wrote 4 lines. Had to cross it all out and re-write my answer; so this kind of threw my off a bit, but I feel as if I was able to recover well; and it serves as a good learning experience for next year! After the exam, I felt as if a massive weight had been lifted off my shoulder, and my close friend and I did what any year 11 would do on a hot afternoon, and grabbed a slurpee to celebrate haha! The next day, I chucked out all the busman resources I no longer required (bar notes and SACs). It felt really satisfying; sorta as if I was purging all the unnecessary things in my life ahhah!

So, after completing busman, I was greeted with the gift of having 1/2 examinations commencing that very Friday! I sort of felt un-movitated to study, a), because I was slightly worn down from the study of 3/4, and b) because they didn't feel important! (which I know is bad to say, but my whole focus throughout the year was to ensure I did well on my 3/4, so 1/2 examinations didn't have that sense of importance that my 3/4 did). I did, nonetheless, study cram for my 1/2's, and was actually surprised with how well I think I did! I had my accounting exam on the Friday, followed by English and Maths Methods (non calc) on Monday. For English, our examination consisted of a language analysis and comparative text response. And, (sorry for the late reply!) to this question;

Also for my own curiousity, how are you finding the comparative element for English?
I kinda of wish I did on one hand due to struggling in context, but on the other hand if you get given two terrible texts then you could be in big trouble.

I found the comparative element of English quite daunting initially, but the examination essay topic was quite broad, so it was good to work with! Whilst the text and film were somewhat dry, I'm looking forward to doing it again in 3/4. My school does a comparative on 'Stasiland' and '1984', and from hearing the thoughts from this year's year 12 cohort, they found the comparative component quite manageable!

I didn't have any examinations on Tuesday or Wednesday, but was bombarded with 3 (Methods-Calc, Legal Studies and Japanese written examination). It was quite tiring, and Japanese (especially the listening section (omg they speak too freaking fast holyyy) was very tough! But everyone shared this same thought, so it'll be interesting to see how we all went. がんばった!On Friday, I had my Japanese speaking examination (which I was super happy with!), and my final examination was Ethics.

I now have this entire week off, and start head-start week Monday week. Don't really have any plans, but I'm kind of glad I can just relax without feeling guilty from not studying/revising. I promise to fill you in on the events of head-start week ahah! Thanks for stopping by :)

-Jigsaw

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 11:20:04 pm by Jigsaw »