Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:33:31 pm

Author Topic: World Order: Recent Developments  (Read 14622 times)  Share 

sophiemacpherso

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: World Order: Recent Developments
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 09:43:35 pm »
How can I memorise legislations for this topic? :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 09:08:14 am »
How can I memorise legislations for this topic? :)

World Order is fortunate in that you might have already memorised a few human rights documents from the core. I mean, it doesn't give you a huge advantage but it's good to be on top of that - because so much of world order relates to human rights!

As for memorising legislation and treaties and all the rest, there's lots of techniques you could use. For me, I wrote out the name of the legislation over and over on the page until I could do it from memory. Boring, I know. But it worked! You could also try writing down legislation and sticking it on the wall in the shower, on the back of the toilet door, etc. This way, you're looking at it without even realising so hopefully it starts to stick in without putting in the hard yards. But, this'll likely only work if you've tried to commit it to memory in other ways :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2017, 12:43:22 pm »
http://www.smh.com.au/world/south-china-sea-philippines-quietly-protests-chinas-weaponry-on-artificial-islands-20170117-gtsw60.html

Good article for the World Order issue in the South China Sea where there is significant media coverage as well as the use of the Court of arbitration ( Hauge Tribunal)

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2017, 06:58:53 pm »
Anyone got any good media articles on the Sudan's Dafkur crisis or the contemporary Syrian crisis in relation to world order and the Un??
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

ATAR: 96.95

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2017, 05:27:10 pm »
+2
Hey guys  :)

I noticed that I completely forgot to post my world order findings, so here they are.

I've only researched the the UN's response to contemporary issues (except for the conduct of hostilities) so far, so my evidence may be limited. Also, these developments might not exactly meet the criteria for recent but I hope this helps anyway

R2P
  • Article 24 of the UN Charter places the UNSC in  “primary responsibility for the maintenance of international peace and security"
  • Attempted resolutions in Syria have failed due to Russia's veto;  In 2012, their use of a veto prohibited the ability for the UN to intervene, resulting in an increase of reported deaths by 5,000
  • The Guardian's article 'Vetoed!' raises the question of whether veto powers are still relevant in the 21st century. It characterises the UNSC as "obsolete"
  • Antonio Patriota, the representative of Brazil in the UN states that amendments must be made to “shape a security council that is truly in tune with the 21st century"
  • Some success in the 2011 Libyan crisis. The passing of Resolutions 1970 and 1973 allowed the UN to impose no-fly zones and provide military assistance to protect Libyan citizens. As a result, the UN prevented the capture of major Libyan cities.

Regional and Global Situations that threaten peace and security
Global, the nuclear threat
  • Start 1 in 1991, effective in the disarmament of nuclear weapons between the US and Russia, allowing for a reduction of arsenals by 58,000
  • The Treaty on the Nonproliferation of Nuclear Weapons 1968 (NPT) has allowed for the promotion of peaceful energy usage in an increasingly nuclear world.
  • North Korea's withdrawal from the NPT highlights the unenforceability of international law. State sovereignty continues to be a barrier to world order
  • The use of nuclear weapons has been deemed the “biggest threat to humanity” (Lawrence Krauss on BBC’s Q&A)
  • North Korea has been characterised as a "rogue state" (Anthony Lake)
  • North Korea's unwillingness to comply with international law is increasing the possibility for a "major conflict" (Donald Trump)
    Regional, the US invasion of Iraq 2003
    • The UN did not react to the US' illegal invasion of Iraq in 2003, despite the act being a breach of the UN Charter. Accordingly, the ICJ turned a “blind eye to one of the most blatant human rights abuses” (Jean Shaoul)

The success of global cooperation in achieving world order
    The East Timor Crisis
    • The passing of Resolutions 1946 and 1964 allowed for humanitarian intervention to ensure a fair ballot process and a safe merge to a self-governing nation
    • The creation of the the International Force for East Timor (INTERFET) placed diplomatic and military pressure on pro-Indian militias to cease their acts of aggression

There it is  ;D As I said, some of them may not be recent developments but they are definitely relevant to the course. I personally used all of these in my legal studies essay and they allowed for sophistication and a clear judgement of the positives and negatives of the UN.[/list][/list]
    HSC 2017:
    English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
    • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
    • The lurker from the north.
    • Respect: +3108
    « Reply #35 on: June 16, 2017, 08:39:13 pm »
    +1
    Hey guys  :)
    I noticed that I completely forgot to post my world order findings, so here they are.

Thanks for another fantastic contribution rodero - It's been a while!! Hope Term 2 has treated you well ;D

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
    « Reply #36 on: June 16, 2017, 08:48:05 pm »
    +1
    Thanks for another fantastic contribution rodero - It's been a while!! Hope Term 2 has treated you well ;D

Thanks for the warm welcome back :) I'll admit it has been a while. Term 2 has been a massive dip with assessments non-stop (1 every week till the end of the term). ATARNotes has been a massive help though, so cheers for helping me survive :D
    HSC 2017:
    English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
    « Reply #37 on: June 16, 2017, 09:14:32 pm »
    +1
    Thanks for the warm welcome back :) I'll admit it has been a while. Term 2 has been a massive dip with assessments non-stop (1 every week till the end of the term). ATARNotes has been a massive help though, so cheers for helping me survive :D

Hope all the assessments went well!! Glad we could be of service - Make sure you come introduce yourself at the lectures in July!! ;D

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
    « Reply #38 on: June 16, 2017, 09:21:17 pm »
    Hope all the assessments went well!! Glad we could be of service - Make sure you come introduce yourself at the lectures in July!! ;D

Will do !
    HSC 2017:

georgiia

• Trendsetter
    • Respect: +8
    « Reply #39 on: July 17, 2017, 06:58:55 pm »
    What are the most recent/interesting things to incorporate into my WO essays to stand out?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
    « Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 08:19:01 pm »
    +1
    What are the most recent/interesting things to incorporate into my WO essays to stand out?

Hey! Just one thing that pops to mind, you'd definitely want to include North Korea situation in some capacity. Lots happening on that front this year so a great contemporary example ;D

jadzia26

• Trailblazer
    « Reply #41 on: July 19, 2017, 10:35:28 pm »
    world order is the one topic in legal studies I did well in but also the one i am not up to date with.
    for some reason when year 12 started my legal marks dropped dramatically but it picked up with world order (bit late but oh well)
    I find certain aspects to overlap with human rights does that mean it might be ok to use the same media articles and look from different angles for the different topics?

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
    • Forum Obsessive
    • Respect: +74
    « Reply #42 on: July 19, 2017, 10:39:10 pm »
    +2
    world order is the one topic in legal studies I did well in but also the one i am not up to date with.
    for some reason when year 12 started my legal marks dropped dramatically but it picked up with world order (bit late but oh well)
    I find certain aspects to overlap with human rights does that mean it might be ok to use the same media articles and look from different angles for the different topics?

Hey there,
    Awesome to hear that your marks have been picking up!! It's definitely okay to have setbacks at the beginning - as long as you learn from your mistakes and use it to motivate your forward :)

I highly recommend using the same LCM across a variety of dot points and topics - my school did the exact same thing for the contemporary human rights section slavery/human trafficking and used it for transnational crime. Same for international crime and world order - we used a lot of the same content. This is really just so you have less pieces of evidence to remember which will hopefully help with consolidating the ones you need to know and being able to explore from different angles as you said. When your HSC paper is marked, the teacher that marks your world order essay is not the same person marking your HR section or your Crime section so it is perfeclty okay to re use material :)

Hope this helps!!!
    HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
    Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

mystermark

• Adventurer
    « Reply #43 on: August 29, 2017, 10:38:50 am »
    Someone please advise me on how I can study for world order! how many cases? how many IGOS and NGOs

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
    • Honorary Moderator
    • ATAR Notes Legend
    • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
    • Respect: +970
    « Reply #44 on: December 27, 2017, 01:40:49 pm »
    The UN/America/Israel's capital situation is very interesting to keep a close eye on.
    Essentially:

On Thursday, the UNGA voted against the US recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
    The US ambassador actually made quite the speech, it was quite damning, and it appears that the US took this as a personal attack on their sovereignty.

Since then, the US has now pledged to make a $285million (or more) cut to the UN. Article here.

This will be very interesting to keep an eye on - and is a great case study for talking about dispute resolution on a global scale.
    Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!