Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:45:20 am

Author Topic: VCE Methods Question Thread!  (Read 4802503 times)  Share 

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: VCE Methods Question Thread!
« Reply #18690 on: August 13, 2020, 11:32:55 am »
I tried looking at it, but I'm afraid I got completely lost in the first step. Where do you get x - 2y + 4 = 10 from?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #18691 on: August 13, 2020, 11:39:52 am »
+1
First off, I'd like to thank James for his last response to my question :)
It helped.

Second, I have a new question regarding simultaneous equations.
I've gone wrong somewhere in the process of answering this question on the Elimination method. I can't see where.
If anyone here is willing to help I would much appreciate it :)
Many thanks,
Corey

Making a2 was unnecessary, but not wrong, I guess. Your issue is you said 8y=4 means that y=2

I tried looking at it, but I'm afraid I got completely lost in the first step. Where do you get x - 2y + 4 = 10 from?

They added 4 to both sides of the first equation

Corey King

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #18692 on: August 13, 2020, 11:53:34 am »
Making a2 was unnecessary, but not wrong, I guess. Your issue is you said 8y=4 means that y=2

They added 4 to both sides of the first equation

Ah I see, that was redundant. Thank you :)
Another silly operations error. I seem to make a lot of those. Anything you would recommend that could reduce the amount I make?
Gratefully,
Corey

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #18693 on: August 13, 2020, 12:27:22 pm »
+1
Another silly operations error. I seem to make a lot of those. Anything you would recommend that could reduce the amount I make?
Gratefully,
Corey

So like, this might sound a little odd, but my suggestion is to just whenever you make a mistake - don't just figure out what you did wrong, do the question again from scratch. Hell, if you know you're making mistakes like these, don't check your working to see what you did wrong (because hell, even for me it took me a while to see what you did wrong, and I'm not biased by your own thinking of, "but I did everything right?" that everyone has when analysing their own questions or proof-reading their own essays), just do the question again blindly and see if you get the same answer.

I had a teacher who used to say, "practice doesn't make perfect - perfect practice makes perfect". And so, if you're constantly making silly little calculation errors, that's not perfect practice. But if you make sure that every question you do, you've done it at least once without making this little mistakes, you might be able to slowly ease them out of your own thinking so that you don't make them in an exam. Hell, if you have time in an exam, find the questions worth the most marks and do them a second time to see if you get the same answer. Can't hurt, as long as you're not doing it on your actual exam booklet (you should be able to get spare paper in your exams)

I have no proof that this will work, but tbh the only other advice I have is, "make sure you double check your working, always be careful, read every line twice, etc.", which we all know isn't that effective.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #18694 on: August 13, 2020, 02:35:25 pm »
Gratefully,
Corey

I've found using a log of mistakes helps me & as meithy said making sure to redo questions correctly.  This might be obvious but I also find that slowing down and writing the steps out properly rather than trying to rush through it in my head makes a big difference. 

Also going to add in that when checking an answer try seeing if you can use a different method so you don't fall into the same thinking traps.

Hope this helps :)

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #18695 on: August 15, 2020, 01:29:54 pm »
Why is loge(4)/2 the same as loge(2)??
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #18696 on: August 15, 2020, 01:47:17 pm »
+5
Why is loge(4)/2 the same as loge(2)??

\begin{align}\frac{\ln(4)}{2}&=\frac{\ln(2^2)}{2}\\
&=\frac{2\ln(2)}{2}\\
&=\ln(2)\end{align}
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 01:54:27 pm by MB_ »
2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #18697 on: August 15, 2020, 02:49:27 pm »
Can the maths methods bound reference have coil binding like the one from officeworks? I have lots of loose pages and I’m not sure how to compile them into an appropriate bound reference
My avatar sums up life.
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #18698 on: August 15, 2020, 03:03:33 pm »
Can the maths methods bound reference have coil binding like the one from officeworks? I have lots of loose pages and I’m not sure how to compile them into an appropriate bound reference

Yes - as long as pages aren't easily removed and the book has a single spine, you're fine. Hell, there have been people in the past who have just taken their textbook, duct-taped it to an A4 book they took notes in all year, and just use that. Any further questions can be directed here, which is VCAA's official communication to students and teachers on what is and isn't okay. One thing to potentially be aware about that's written there - you can glue and staple and tape things into your book if you want, but you must do so in a way that the page doesn't fold outside the book, as fold outs are not allowed

Corey King

• Trendsetter
« Reply #18699 on: August 17, 2020, 06:21:14 pm »
Hey guys,
Should x-y=96 not be +/- 96? Since we don't know if x or y is the larger number.
Just starting year 11 study.
Many thanks,
Corey

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #18700 on: August 17, 2020, 06:24:35 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
Should x-y=96 not be +/- 96? Since we don't know if x or y is the larger number.
Just starting year 11 study.
Many thanks,
Corey
No, it shouldn't be. See, one of the two numbers could be labeled x, or it could be labeled y. Since it's just x-y=96, it doesn't matter what letters you put onto it, if you know what I mean. In this case, you're presumably labelling the larger number as x because of where you put it. See? Sorry, I'm not explaining it very well.
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

Corey King

• Trendsetter
« Reply #18701 on: August 17, 2020, 06:33:20 pm »
No, it shouldn't be. See, one of the two numbers could be labeled x, or it could be labeled y. Since it's just x-y=96, it doesn't matter what letters you put onto it, if you know what I mean. In this case, you're presumably labelling the larger number as x because of where you put it. See? Sorry, I'm not explaining it very well.

I think I do understand you, but I didnt dont quite understand why Im wrong yet.

Lets say one pronumeral equals 20, and the other 10. If you can assisgn either value to either pronumeral, you get these two equations...

10-20=-10
20-10=10

As can be seen, the different between the two is still a value of 10. The result being in the positive or negative, thus, x-y=+/-96.

Hope this makes where Im at more clear :)

Thanks for the speedy response btw. People in this forum are amazing

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #18702 on: August 17, 2020, 06:46:13 pm »
+4
I think I do understand you, but I didnt dont quite understand why Im wrong yet.

Lets say one pronumeral equals 20, and the other 10. If you can assisgn either value to either pronumeral, you get these two equations...

10-20=-10
20-10=10

As can be seen, the different between the two is still a value of 10. The result being in the positive or negative, thus, x-y=+/-96.

It's because it doesn't matter which one is bigger or which one is larger. If you ever think to yourself, "wait, does it matter that we did it this way?" - the easiest way is to do it the other way and see what happens. So, let's instead pick:

x + y = 24 (1)
x - y = -96 <==> y - x = 96 (2)

I'm going to use elimination and do (1)-(2):

y+x-(y-x)=24-96
2x=-72
x=-36

Substitute back into 1:

-36+y=24 ==> y=60

That's weird - we got the exact same answer, but the values for x and y have swapped. Is this an issue? No - because as you said, they didn't say which one was bigger. In fact, the question never even mentioned an "x" or "y" in the first place - so you have answered the question. You've found two numbers such that their sum is 24, and their difference is 96.

This is what Cat in the Hat was saying - it doesn't matter WHICH you put in front, because whichever one you put in front is going to become the bigger number by default.

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #18703 on: August 17, 2020, 10:14:16 pm »

10-20=-10
20-10=10

I expressed it wrong - it's not the value that's interchangeable, it's the pronumeral.
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #18704 on: August 19, 2020, 10:04:02 pm »
How come making the derivative of a circular function equal zero to find function maximum and minimum won’t give me real numbers? It just give me 2n.....always something with an n in it :(
My avatar sums up life.