Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:44:56 am

Author Topic: IA3 Physics Assignment  (Read 5334 times)

sealtheseal

• Adventurer
  • dyin but tryin my best <3
  • Respect: 0
IA3 Physics Assignment
« on: March 29, 2020, 06:38:33 pm »
Due to COVID-19 this term we are doing the IA3 Assignment instead of the IA2.
For this assignment, we have to form a research question out of the following claims given. The topic we are currently learning is Nuclear and Electricity.

I was wondering if I could get some ideas on topics I could research into and some possible ideas for my research question. I am not sure how to form a solid and well-written research question from these two claims.

•   Working as a nuclear physicist in a hospital is a dangerous job.

•   The dream of almost limitless clean energy from nuclear fusion is close to being realised.

I am more interested in the first claim but am lost around what to research into and the question to form around it.
The second one seems easier and was thinking of just forming my assignment around the articles which display how Australia is currently forming a clean limitless solution from nuclear fusion. Then using this new form of nuclear fusion in comparison to older founding or most popular/current ways of clean energy (solar power..).

If you guys could please help me out it would be great, I also am struggling a little more now that i don't have direct contact with teachers and only emailing them is possible :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:42:33 pm by sealtheseal »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: IA3 Physics Assignment
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 03:02:42 pm »
Hey,

So the recommend sequence of steps for this would be:
- break down the claim into key components
- make questions about those components
- form possible research questions
- critically think about those possible questions
- create the final research question

The second claim has a sample assessment written about it which you can find here (annotated sample response IA3).

For working as a physicist in a hospital is a dangerous job there are a few things to pull apart. For example you might want to research: What work would a nuclear physicist be doing in a hospital? What are the risks, hazards, and safety precautions associated with this?

Does this help at all?

Please feel free to get back with any follow up questions, clarifications etc. :)

sealtheseal

• Adventurer
  • dyin but tryin my best <3
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 10:11:27 am »
Hey there,

I have been pondering on this physics assignment for a while and decided to go for the second claim:
"The dream of almost limitless clean energy from nuclear fusion is close to being realised."

I have tried my best at forming the research question: Will the Hydrogen-boron fusion reactor be a viable solution for Australia's electricity needs, whilst devising zero emissions by the year 2050?
and ‘Will the Hydrogen-boron fusion reactor be a viable solution in devising zero emissions, to assist the Australian goal by 2050 ?’

If someone could place some feedback on what it's lacking or how I could improve it, that would be great.
I also had the problem of some points for my third body paragraph.
I was thinking of placing one paragraph about how the Hydrogen-Boron fusion is a much safer and cleaner choice than the regular DT fusion reactors/Tomakak Reactors. The second paragraph on how it will greatly impact and aid Australia's 2050 goal --> Energy needs of Australia 2050.

Thanks so much guys! stay safe

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 09:11:04 am »
Hey there,

I have been pondering on this physics assignment for a while and decided to go for the second claim:
"The dream of almost limitless clean energy from nuclear fusion is close to being realised."

I have tried my best at forming the research question: Will the Hydrogen-boron fusion reactor be a viable solution for Australia's electricity needs, whilst devising zero emissions by the year 2050?
and ‘Will the Hydrogen-boron fusion reactor be a viable solution in devising zero emissions, to assist the Australian goal by 2050 ?’

If someone could place some feedback on what it's lacking or how I could improve it, that would be great.
I also had the problem of some points for my third body paragraph.
I was thinking of placing one paragraph about how the Hydrogen-Boron fusion is a much safer and cleaner choice than the regular DT fusion reactors/Tomakak Reactors. The second paragraph on how it will greatly impact and aid Australia's 2050 goal --> Energy needs of Australia 2050.

Thanks so much guys! stay safe

Hi,

No worries at all :)

I like that your research question is specific and has enough depth for an investigation. I would probably slightly change the phrasing (which to me almost implies that 1 reactor will meet all of Australia's electricity needs) but I think you've done a pretty good job on making this.

To me there are three main components of the claim:
- almost limitless energy
- clean energy
- close to being realised

It looks like you've specified "clean" in terms of greenhouse gas emissions, and "almost limitless" in terms of meeting Australia's energy needs, in your question you have viable by 2050 which connects to "close to being realised" but that doesn't seem to be in your paragraphs so maybe you could investigate this.

Good luck!

paige.p

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 12:24:14 pm »
+1
Hi i am also doing IA3 at the moment and its on our unit 4 course work topic 1 and 2.

I am having a little trouble with posing possible research questions and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out?

The claims we can choose are:
1. Only objects that are considered to be massless can travel at the speed of light.

2. The number of cosmic muons detected on the surface of the Earth provides evidence for Einstein’s Theory of Special Relativity.

3. In the future, scientists will develop a theory that unifies the dual nature of light theories.

4. Experiments conducted within the Large Hadron Collider produce particles through collisions that are short lived but appear to decay more slowly when travelling at high speeds, allowing scientists to study them.

5. Models of the Earth as a black body can be used to predict climate patterns.

I am really interested in the first claim and the fifth one but i think i can find more information for the first one.

any suggestions to help me pose a research question?
i have attached a worksheet our teacher gave us to fill out to help out a little.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 11:48:29 am »
Hi i am also doing IA3 at the moment and its on our unit 4 course work topic 1 and 2.

I am having a little trouble with posing possible research questions and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out?

The claims we can choose are:
1. Only objects that are considered to be massless can travel at the speed of light.

2. The number of cosmic muons detected on the surface of the Earth provides evidence for Einstein’s Theory of Special Relativity.

3. In the future, scientists will develop a theory that unifies the dual nature of light theories.

4. Experiments conducted within the Large Hadron Collider produce particles through collisions that are short lived but appear to decay more slowly when travelling at high speeds, allowing scientists to study them.

5. Models of the Earth as a black body can be used to predict climate patterns.

I am really interested in the first claim and the fifth one but i think i can find more information for the first one.

any suggestions to help me pose a research question?
i have attached a worksheet our teacher gave us to fill out to help out a little.

Hey!

I agree that it'll probably be easier to find information for the first one.

That worksheet your teacher has given you comes straight from qcaa - if you haven't already I would definitely recommend looking at the sample assessment information for physics which you can find here. What makes you interested in those questions? Maybe that can help you form your research questions?

Some things to remember about research questions:
- Avoid ones that have an immediate answer (e.g. if you can answer with a number that's not a great)
- Research questions should suggest clear hypotheses
- Try not to have it too broad, this is a bit of a hard one since you don't want it to be too narrow either, but it's important to set the scope so you can comprehensively address it and draw conclusions in your research investigation

Hope this helps :)