Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:26:13 am

Author Topic: Tips/hints/strategies for a successful study score in Legal  (Read 11072 times)  Share 

hard

Tips/hints/strategies for a successful study score in Legal
« on: December 18, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »
+4
"Secrets to Legal Studies success and how to achieve 40+"

To begin things, I'd like to mention that in my opinion, Legal Studies has a set of concrete rules that should be applied to attain a really high mark. It's not a matter of luck or chance but whether you play your cards right and know what to do from here on in.

Before beginning the course
One of the key elements for success in Legal Studies is preparation. This is the one of the main points that I'd like to stress. If you don't prepare you will be guaranteeing your spot on the below 40 charts, whether you're a genius or not legal requires study and commitment. Before school commences make sure you get ahead of your class. This may determine your ranking in the long term. By staying in front of the rest of the pack, you get the privilege of constantly revision in class while others are just beginning to learn the content. Thus you will be learning twice as much as others with the same effort. All this requires is a head start and I suggest now is a good time to start.

Second thing to do before you start the legal course is to complete a lot of questions while you are reading and making notes. Doing questions are vital as part of a successful Legal Studies regime and may mean the difference of knowing how to do well answers as opposed to flawless answers.

The teacher and how to use this source
Teachers are very important in Legal Studies. They help you pick out your flaws and any mistakes and advise you on how to improve the quality of your answers. I'd advise everyone to use them wisely and not to only think of them as a secondary source; make them your primary resource! When seeking advice or help go to your teacher! Forgot your friend or your lawyer dad, GO TO YOUR TEACHER. You peer or parent or friend will most likely know about the actual legal course work than the legal teacher him/her self.

Another key point regarding this area is don't forgot to ask questions! Many feel embarrassed or may get into a state of awkwardness when asking a "dumb" question such as what is civil law. But as many have said before, there is no such thing as a dumb question. All questions are relevant and all queries or misconceptions should be resolved and answered. In legal, once you leave one thing unanswered, then suddenly the next topic will be hard to understand and this will create a domino effect. AVOID SUCH A SITUATION!

Prioritise
This is a common mistake made by many legal students. Many fail to consider the fact that they may sometimes waste precious time on things that they are comfortable with and are quite well knowledgeable about. For example, let's say you know precedents and their function off by heart. It would make sense to not keep going over it constantly while neglecting important areas to which you may be less confident in. Do the most important or pressing tasks first and then you can slowly make your way down till you eventually become familiar will all topics to which you then perfect them.

VCAA study design
From the words of Brenden: "the legal study design is your bible for the year." This is a serious point. You must always follow the legal study design when reading your book or making notes to ensure that you are learning the correct info not irrelevant shit. I don't think the definition of a membrane or the effects of cerebral palsy are relevant to legal studies. Stick to what is required of you!

QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS
Wow the importance of this point cannot be expressed or stressed enough! Do as many questions as possible and trust me it's worth it. I bought 3 books to write my questions in and filled all three in (and my writing is small). Especially the topics that you're not as well equipped with, make sure you complete a lot of questions to help you become more familiar with the style of questions and the way they are asked.

Nonetheless, the importance of questions may be derogated if you don't get the questions marked and learn from whatever mistake you do.

Use a range of study techniques
These are very useful especially in a rote-learnish subject like legal. There is a lot of to learn and only one day to remember so you'll need a lot of study techniques to help you through. Things such as RODD(disapprove, distinguish, reverse, overrule) PRDR(protection, retribution, deterrence, rehabilitation) etc or you can highlight key words or point as you read your text book or use tables to jot down jurisdictions of the courts etc.

Keep your notes updated
Aside from the regular notes in your text book, you may want to type up notes after every topic you complete or area of study that is finished so you ease the workload in the coming days of the end of year exam and so you get to revise what you have just learnt. I made the mistake of forgetting to do that and ended up spending 5 hours writing up my revision to which you all have access to. (or you can just dload someone else's :P)

Examples/cases
These are what differentiate the good from the great. You must use examples in all questions to gain a 50 or some were abouts. Cases and examples help show the examiner that you are different, you have something that the previously marked students exam didn't. Even one markers, if you think you'll have time write down examples and relevant cases. This was my secret in achieving an ok mark. I used it in every question, even the 1 marker regarding the coroners function.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:17:22 pm by heidiii »

brendan

Re: TIPS/HINTS/STRATEGIES FOR A SUCCESSFUL STUDY SCORE IN LEGAL
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 11:30:27 pm »
nice

MattPritchard

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:01:23 pm »
thankyou heaps it really helped :)
'07 - English 1/2, General Maths 1/2, Legal Studies 1/2, Accounting 1/2, Information Technology 1/2, Industry & Enterprise 1/2
'08 - English 1/2, Maths Methods 1/2, Physics 1/2, Psychology 1/2, Food Technology 1/2, IT Applications 3/4 (35 -> 31)
'09 - Accounting 3/4, English 3/4, Legal Studies 3/4, Physics 3/4, Mathematical Methods CAS 3/4
My 2009 Year 12 Files (TEXTBOOKS NOTES ETC)

steph753

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 10:49:20 pm »
I wish i had have been on vce notes last year and had have read this.

Goodluck to everyone doing legal studies in '09

draadkar

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 11:51:32 pm »
man lost all my legal notes, sooo gay, guess ill have to start over

Jasmina

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 10:17:33 pm »
In regards to SAC results, and the end of year Exam, what would an individuals results need to be for a ss of 40+.. say if my average in SAC's thus far is around a 95%?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 10:19:15 pm by Jasmina »

hard

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 12:26:14 am »
In regards to SAC results, and the end of year Exam, what would an individuals results need to be for a ss of 40+.. say if my average in SAC's thus far is around a 95%?
if you're in a strong cohort and ranked in the top few or even a weak cohort but ranked first then on the exam you'll need a high A to mid A+ for a 40-45. over that mid to high A+

hard

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 08:59:10 pm »
make sure you guys have a read of this! goodluck

Jasmina

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 06:22:48 pm »
What mark is considered a 'High A' on the legal exam?  ;)

hard

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 07:41:30 pm »
depends on the year i guess have a look at the reports by VCAA

Jasmina

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 08:05:13 pm »
thanksssss buddy ;)

chuckjefster90

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 05:32:37 pm »
hey erm whats legal studies like? work wise? is it hard etc..
wanna know all the details

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 09:22:10 pm »
hey erm whats legal studies like? work wise? is it hard etc..
wanna know all the details

You should make a separate thread for your question.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

spaciiey

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 01:27:23 pm »
If it hasn't been mentioned -- towards the end of the year (or even at the start of the year, using whatever topics you've covered so far) -- start writing your own practice questions, and make them up for yourself -- write a practice exam, then, correct them yourself and give them to your teacher to double check. It really helps to try to get into the head of the examiner, and to try and predict what kind of questions will come up. It really helped me towards the end of the year when I did legal.
VCE 2010 | BA/BSc, MTeach (both Monash)

Current teacher of VCE maths

vwinnie8

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 12:11:30 am »
thankyooooouuuuuu