Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:48:26 am

Author Topic: Future Year 12s  (Read 902 times)  Share 

Zaljc

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
Future Year 12s
« on: December 08, 2018, 12:28:21 pm »
+14
These are the things I wish someone told me before I started a year 12 subject in year 11. But it’s a good thing that I did a year 12 subject in year 11, because I didn’t repeat the same mistakes. Here’s what they are:

•You got a bad study score in a Year 12 subject in year 11 and you don’t feel like starting year 12

This happens to a lot of people. This happened to me. But before going into year 12, ask yourself, if I did this subject again, what things would I do differently/change? Mine was the way I studied before the actual exam. I did 40 exams, but I did not go over them, so I repeatedly made the same mistakes over and over. Remember; quality over quantity.

My friend who is a year above me and is doing uni, got a 38 in Health and human. However, she changed the way she studied in year 12, and ended up with a 98.9 atar.

I should start studying for year 12 now

NO. DO NOT DO THIS. When year 12 starts, it starts. There is a repeated cycle of SACs, studying and questions for you to do. It feels like it never ends. You can take one-two days off a week, but you still don’t feel as refreshed as before or after year 12. So please, make sure that you take a long break before school starts. YOU WILL NEED IT. I didn’t start studying until 2nd of January.

I’m going to go through the whole unit 3 content in the holidays

AGAIN. DO NOT DO THIS. I did this for my year 12 subject in year 11. I finished unit 3 and started unit 4. This is bad because by the time you start school and have to study for a SAC that involves only the first dot point, YOU WILL forget everything else that you studied for. It’s a waste of time. Just start studying for the very first SAC or a very smart way to study is going through things that you didn’t get in year 11 that are relevant in year 12.

For example, for English language, I did not get metalanguage. For the whole of January, I went over that, as well as functions and social purposes. Also, for chemistry, I went through the basics that I forgot about. This included acid and base reactions, because this stuff is assumed knowledge.

I did bad on my first SAC, I should just give up

It is so easy to give up after a bad SAC. So easy. A lot of my friends did that too. It almost happened to me.

INSPIRATIONAL STORY:
I studied for my first physics SAC. It was also my very first SAC of the year. I studied for a week, two hours everyday, only for that subject by doing checkpoints only. I did the SAC and got my results, which was a 52%

I was crying so much. A dude who studied way less than me got a 92% (top mark). I wanted to give up but then a thought occurred to me.

“Why am I crying? What does crying achieve?”

The answer is nothing. Crying absolutely does nothing. No matter what I do or say, my SAC mark is going to stay 52%. The only thing I could do was smash the next SAC.

I studied 2x then the very smart dude did. Because I knew he was already gifted and he was ‘smarter’ than me. But that means nothing to me, I just had to work harder than him to get the same SAC mark. It may seem unfair that people who study less do as good as you when you work your butt off. But that’s the world you live in. There’s always going to be someone smarter, fitter etc.

The secound SAC i got was 97%. I got the top mark.

So future year 12s, please think logically next year. Look at what you can and can’t do. Look at what’s in the past and what’s in the future. Look at things in a clearer perspective. It can be very hard to do that, but if you do, you can achieve great things. And remember, if someone is ‘smarter’ than you, it just means you have to work harder. It doesn’t give you an excuse to say “he/she did better because they’re smarter”

And also have fun. It’s your last year. I focussed too much on SACs that I didn’t have time to soak in that this was going to be my last year.
2017- Biology

2018- Chemistry, English, Methods, Physics & Business Managment