Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:30:44 am

Author Topic: UoM lectures  (Read 2937 times)  Share 

nak

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
UoM lectures
« on: January 16, 2008, 07:58:22 pm »
At UoM, is there currently the option of viewing lectures while at home via streaming? I don't think i will be bothered just to go all the way there to watch a lecturer talk for an hour but rather do it at home.
Does UoM currently have a system where students are able to do it?

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Re: UoM lectures
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 08:05:06 pm »
It varies from subject to subject, but the most you'll ever have is an audio file streaming with a picture (video) of the slides. You'll still miss out on gestures and demonstrations he does in real life.

costargh

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 08:12:19 pm »
It varies from subject to subject, but the most you'll ever have is an audio file streaming with a picture (video) of the slides. You'll still miss out on gestures and demonstrations he does in real life.
:P

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:16:47 pm »
:P

I've never had a woman lecturer. Not until Friday (she's taking over!)

nak

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 12:23:30 am »
What gestures do you need to see anyways? don't lecturers just make their own powerpoints then stand there and talk?

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 12:24:18 am »
In UMEP one of my subjects had recorded lectures which was great! It meant I didn't have to go twice a week. I don't think the physicality of being in an artsy lecture matters as much as some other fields though, you're pretty much just spoken at for 50 minutes. But if you're in a class that is more practical-based then it probably will matter.

I imagine that Melbourne will probably move towards streaming a higher percentage of lectures given that individual subjects will probably be bigger from 2008 onwards on account of the Melbourne Model.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 12:25:10 am »
Pointing at a particular part of the projected slide is a particularly useful gesture.

The problem is, not many subjects even offer this. You usually only get Lectopia, which is just audio streaming.

nak

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 03:57:13 am »
in which field does these objects offer it? would it include engineering subjects by any chance :P

squance

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 11:01:22 am »
In my UMEP psych, I never went to the uni for the lectures. only for the tutorials because they recorded your attendance...I always downloaded them lectures and listened to them at home...hEHEEHE