Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:48:15 pm

Author Topic: tips for abstract reasoning section?  (Read 1136 times)

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
tips for abstract reasoning section?
« on: May 20, 2019, 10:17:18 pm »
Hey everyone,

Do you guys have any tips for the abstract reasoning section? I'm struggling to find the patterns especially in questions where you have to identify whether a pattern belongs to set a/set b/neither.
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

Krycek

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Re: tips for abstract reasoning section?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 10:51:31 am »
+2
Hey everyone,

Do you guys have any tips for the abstract reasoning section? I'm struggling to find the patterns especially in questions where you have to identify whether a pattern belongs to set a/set b/neither.

Do you know of the method where you look at either (set A/B) and then look for the box with the least number of components (i.e. least number of colours, shapes, lines etc.)? - this helps you avoid distractors that have no part of the actual rule. I suggest you try this method out (untimed first) to see if it is effective for you. This is a better rule to use in harder questions as with easier questions- you should be able to instantly figure what type of rule there is (like intersections, enclosed regions, number of shapes, direction of arrow, number of sides etc)

By no means am I good at AR, but usually you should be able to figure out certain types of patterns through lots of practice (e.g. intersections, enclosed regions and especially rules involving an arrow, as that arrow almost always affect or is effected by a change in another component). I would also skip questions that do not seem familiar to you or are difficult to decipher (for example I am always bad figuring out the rules in clocks).

If you happen to skip a lot of A/B/neither questions and you don't have a lot of time yet,maybe use that time to ensure that your complete the statement/series questions at the end of the sub-test are right.
ATAR: 98

Bachelor of Biomedical Science