Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:39:05 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Exam - 01/11/19 - Discussion/Questions/Solutions  (Read 80747 times)

charlize.ebony

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Biology Exam - 01/11/19 - Discussion/Questions/Solutions
« Reply #195 on: November 05, 2019, 10:42:16 am »
For the photosynthesis question, why was there high O2 conc. when the plant was photosynthesising in Region  R(stroma) than when plant was not photosynthesising. Doesn't the splitting of H2O occur in thylakoid membranes to form O2 in light dependant stage? Then, how can O2 be in stroma?

O2 is produced in the thylakoid membrane but during photosynthesis (i think) it needs to diffuse out of the cell and into the atmosphere that's why it would have a higher concentration in the stroma as O2 diffuses out.

that's what i send anyway

Jashy

• Adventurer
  • [proto-type] E
« Reply #196 on: November 05, 2019, 10:49:46 am »
Does anyone have a copy of the 2019 bio exam?  :D :D

I need it to refresh my memory on some of the questions i think i didn't get 100% on. Thnx guys
flunked!!!

Jashy

• Adventurer
  • [proto-type] E
« Reply #197 on: November 05, 2019, 10:52:40 am »
+1
O2 is produced in the thylakoid membrane but during photosynthesis (i think) it needs to diffuse out of the cell and into the atmosphere that's why it would have a higher concentration in the stroma as O2 diffuses out.

that's what i send anyway

ye i said the same thing; that as the hydrogen ions are lysed from the water molecules, oxygen molecules are formed as a byproduct, which then diffuse through the thylakoid into the stroma. Hence a greater oxygen concentration in the stroma during photosynthesis
flunked!!!

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #198 on: November 05, 2019, 03:18:23 pm »
+2
My general knowledge is telling me the farmer would use the Bt corn if it was profitable, if it was not profitable he would not use it, therefore I think it is a safe assumption that the Bt corn is cheaper than the non-Bt corn.
I think it's been established that the common answer is the one given by both Erutepa and PhoenixxFire, multiple times. If you're correct, you will be able to discover that when VCAA releases the 2019 answers. There's no point wasting any more time debating on hypothetical semantics here.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #199 on: November 05, 2019, 03:21:01 pm »
+3
My general knowledge is telling me the farmer would use the Bt corn if it was profitable, if it was not profitable he would not use it, therefore I think it is a safe assumption that the Bt corn is cheaper than the non-Bt corn.
This logic isn't necessarily true. For Bt crops to be profitable, they don't need to be cheaper to produce than non-Bt crops. Bt crops may very well be more expensive to produce, however will return larger crop yields and thus turn a larger profit - making them profitable. As such, with the information from the graph and the content in the course - as well as logic - we still cannot say if Bt crops cost more than non-Bt crops.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #200 on: November 05, 2019, 03:23:34 pm »
+2
Does anyone have a copy of the 2019 bio exam?  :D :D

I need it to refresh my memory on some of the questions i think i didn't get 100% on. Thnx guys
Unfortunately the exam can't be shared via the forums until after VCAA shares it themselves due to copyright.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

anoushka_iyer

• Adventurer
  • Strive. Persevere. Succeed.
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #201 on: November 05, 2019, 04:16:46 pm »
+1
Hey so for the zika virus question about things the government can do to reduce its spread, how many marks would I get ffor this:

1) eradicate mosquito populations known to carry the Zika virus
2) cull or isolate animals (monkeys) known to carry the Zika virus
3) study the structure of the zika virus and using rational drug design, produce an antiviral drug and administer it to those with the Zika virus.
2019: Biology [49], Chemistry [46]

2020: Methods, English langauge, physics, French

2021: Medicine (hopefully!)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #202 on: November 05, 2019, 04:28:14 pm »
+2
Hey so for the zika virus question about things the government can do to reduce its spread, how many marks would I get ffor this:

1) eradicate mosquito populations known to carry the Zika virus
2) cull or isolate animals (monkeys) known to carry the Zika virus
3) study the structure of the zika virus and using rational drug design, produce an antiviral drug and administer it to those with the Zika virus.
You potentially wouldn't get the mark for the second one - the stem of the question suggests that zika first appeared in humans as a result of a mosquito transferring it from monkey to human, however this does not mean that this is still a mode of transmission - viruses have frequently appeared in animals first and then mutated to allow them to be transmitted to humans, it's possible that a mutation is what allowed it to infect a human in the first place and that all subsequent infection is human to human via mosquitos. - I don't know whether this is true for zika specifically, but the first line of the question which states that it's most commonly transferred from person to person via mosquitoes appears to support this.
Both your other points should be fine.

anoushka_iyer

• Adventurer
  • Strive. Persevere. Succeed.
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #203 on: November 05, 2019, 06:05:17 pm »
For the steppe bison fossilization question, how many marks /4 would I get for this?

- Bison dies and falls in water which freezes rapidly, trapping the bison in an ice block  (i couldn't think of anything else don't judge lmao)
- cold temperatures and lack of oxygen reduce rate of decay by bacteria. Low temp reduces kinetic energy and therefore frequency of successful collisions between enzymes and substrates that cause decay of soft tissue
-  bison is protected from scavengers   
- this preserves both soft and hard tissues of the bison
- over many years, the ice melts away, exposing the bison to allow scientists to discover the fully intact fossil.
2019: Biology [49], Chemistry [46]

2020: Methods, English langauge, physics, French

2021: Medicine (hopefully!)

Jashy

• Adventurer
  • [proto-type] E
« Reply #204 on: November 05, 2019, 09:26:04 pm »
+1
For the steppe bison fossilization question, how many marks /4 would I get for this?

- Bison dies and falls in water which freezes rapidly, trapping the bison in an ice block  (i couldn't think of anything else don't judge lmao)
- cold temperatures and lack of oxygen reduce rate of decay by bacteria. Low temp reduces kinetic energy and therefore frequency of successful collisions between enzymes and substrates that cause decay of soft tissue
- over many years, the ice melts away, exposing the bison to allow scientists to discover the fully intact fossil.

I wrote something similar for the scavengers and lack of oxygen/ alkaline environment. But i do also think that you needed to be more specific as to how its actually preserved; through rapid burial of snow. Also i don't think that were required to state how the ice melts and exposes the bison. I may be wrong tho.
flunked!!!

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2019, 10:26:54 am »
+2

That should be fine. It would have been good to also include that there wasn't any changes to the climate of the area that would have allowed it to thaw, but given your last line says what happens when it melts, that's probably enough to convey that it was frozen the rest of the time.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #206 on: November 07, 2019, 05:05:14 pm »

I pretty much said the same thing; the steppe bison died, was not exposed to scavengers, the environment was cold and alkaline therefore not allowing bacteria to decay the bison and rapidly covered by sediment - in this case ice.
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #207 on: December 15, 2019, 01:20:20 pm »
Sorry if I am being ignorant but does anyone have the actual exam from 2019 VCAA
Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #208 on: December 15, 2019, 08:49:19 pm »
Sorry if I am being ignorant but does anyone have the actual exam from 2019 VCAA
Unfortunately VCAA have not yet published the exam and as such sharing copies of the exam on the forumns is copyright infringement and against forum rules.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point