Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 03:26:14 am

Author Topic: Study space avaliability  (Read 1689 times)  Share 

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Not telling
  • School Grad Year: 2019
Study space avaliability
« on: September 10, 2019, 06:22:12 pm »
Hi everyone, I am looking for somewhere to spend majority of my time to study for VCE exams.

So between September 21st- end of October, will Monash uni be busy?

Where are some quite spaces I can study at Monash (Clayton)? (like which buildings)

Also what time do the study spaces open/close?

Are all the lecture rooms used during the period of time I mentioned?

Is 8 am too early to come in?

Would really appreciate if anyone could help!  (don't want to end up going to the uni to study then not find a place to study :) )
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:57:10 pm by Just another student »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Study space avaliability
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 06:29:35 pm »
+4
If you came in at 8am you would definitely find places to study (assuming you're talking about Clayton campus; I can't speak for the others).

Different spaces open & close at different times - you can check library opening hours to be sure but I'm pretty confident that most would be open from 8am onwards on weekdays.

Monash is likely to be busy during October as that's when semester is finishing up

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 06:36:25 pm »
+4
Hi everyone, I am looking for somewhere to spend majority of my time to study for VCE exams.

So between September 21st- end of October, will Monash uni be busy?

Where are some quite spaces I can study at Monash? (like which buildings)

Also what time do the study spaces open/close?

Are all the lecture rooms used during the period of time I mentioned?

Is 8 am too early to come in?

WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IF ANYONE COULD HELP!!!!!! (don't want to end up going to the uni to study then not find a place to study :) )
Definitely, as Bri described - the earlier you get to the library the more spaces will be available. Also the later you get there eg. after 6pm there tends to be free spaces. During the middle of the day it is quite difficult to find a place (especially if you want a powerpoint on the desk).

During those dates it will be relatively busy - I would say only the first couple of weeks at uni isn't busy but then up till the end of the semester the amount of students coming to the library progressively increases.

Study spaces differ in opening/close times - have a look at the relevant library websites for this particular information for a particular day.

Also please be considerate of the university students who are trying to study :)

P.S remove the all caps from your post, they are not necessary.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 06:43:14 pm »
Also please be considerate of the university students who are trying to study :)

Yep, definitely agree with this!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 07:00:25 pm »
+1
If you came in at 8am you would definitely find places to study (assuming you're talking about Clayton campus; I can't speak for the others).

Different spaces open & close at different times - you can check library opening hours to be sure but I'm pretty confident that most would be open from 8am onwards on weekdays.

Monash is likely to be busy during October as that's when semester is finishing up
Definitely, as Bri described - the earlier you get to the library the more spaces will be available. Also the later you get there eg. after 6pm there tends to be free spaces. During the middle of the day it is quite difficult to find a place (especially if you want a powerpoint on the desk).

During those dates it will be relatively busy - I would say only the first couple of weeks at uni isn't busy but then up till the end of the semester the amount of students coming to the library progressively increases.

Study spaces differ in opening/close times - have a look at the relevant library websites for this particular information for a particular day.

P.S remove the all caps from your post, they are not necessary.

Thanks for the responses, really appreciate it!
Could you please recommend which libraries/ buildings are the most quiet and have good sized tables?

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 07:23:27 pm »
Also this might seem like a silly question, but are you allowed to bring food/drink into the library? (obviously not messy foods)
and do you need any ID card/ membership to use the library?

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 08:08:42 pm »
+1
Can't 100% say about Monash, but anyone can get in to LaTrobe library and I kid you not people order UberEats to their tables. There were pizzas and lots of other "messy" foods.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 08:19:14 pm »
+3
Also this might seem like a silly question, but are you allowed to bring food/drink into the library? (obviously not messy foods)
Depends on the library. Hargrave has a no hot food policy. Most have normal food policies, so avoid anything that smells, messy or sticky food (just to be considerate, though most uni students may not abide by this) and you’re all good to go. Most will have signs whether they permit hot food or not, or even food at all.

As for ID, no. As long as you’re quiet, you don’t really need ID as far as I know. Of course, it’s a different story if you want to borrow things or print stuff.

Could you please recommend which libraries/ buildings are the most quiet and have good sized tables?
Typically Law Library is the best bet for a high school student. Lots of quiet spaces, close to the bus loop and generally a powerpoint at most tables. Higher floors are quieter. Would avoid the small side room on the first floor, if my memory serves me correctly, as this is where the group study and tutoring occurs.

Matheson library now has more study spaces since its refurbishments so there’s sometimes a spare space there every so often. Has less powerpoints though, but is quite the spacious area, so will give it a mention.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 09:13:32 pm »
Depends on the library. Hargrave has a no hot food policy. Most have normal food policies, so avoid anything that smells, messy or sticky food (just to be considerate, though most uni students may not abide by this) and you’re all good to go. Most will have signs whether they permit hot food or not, or even food at all.

As for ID, no. As long as you’re quiet, you don’t really need ID as far as I know. Of course, it’s a different story if you want to borrow things or print stuff.
 Typically Law Library is the best bet for a high school student. Lots of quiet spaces, close to the bus loop and generally a powerpoint at most tables. Higher floors are quieter. Would avoid the small side room on the first floor, if my memory serves me correctly, as this is where the group study and tutoring occurs.

Matheson library now has more study spaces since its refurbishments so there’s sometimes a spare space there every so often. Has less powerpoints though, but is quite the spacious area, so will give it a mention.

Thanks so much! :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 09:15:54 pm by Just another student »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 01:52:10 pm »
btw, one of my favourite study spots back in the day was the basement of HAL. Recommend a spot near a window - was usually quiet for me.

Good luck!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 06:40:08 pm »
+3
Generally, it is ok to take food in - I do this sometimes and no one really cares in places like HAL or Matheson.

However, don't take food into the law library. The guys over there are super strict and will possibly ban you for a week if you take food in (happened to a friend). This is probably moreso for the higher levels of the law library - the lowest two floors you will probably be ok but I wouldn't risk it ahah

Also, you don't need any IDs -> to add in it is important you don't secure a desk and leave the desk for a long period of time. In some cases, librarians will remove your stuff if you have been there too long (especially closer to exam periods).