Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:30:31 pm

Author Topic: Bachelor of engineering and commerce  (Read 907 times)  Share 

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Not telling
  • School Grad Year: 2019
Bachelor of engineering and commerce
« on: July 24, 2019, 09:39:34 pm »
Hi everyone,

With VTAC uni preferences coming up soon I've been doing a bit of research. I was wondering how many contact hours a week I could expect for Bachelor of engineering and commerce and whether I could fit it all into 3 days. I have heard that commerce by itself is 12 hours whereas engineering by itself is 25 hours so where would the double degree fall in terms of contact hours? (Also I understand it depends on subjects, but would appreciate if anyone could provide ranges or rough estimates)

Also how many hours outside of class are you expected to study? For example is a few hours each day you have uni enough?

I have heard that a bachelor of engineering is more difficult that a double degree with engineering and commerce, is that true? As I heard that by doing a double degree you can take less engineering subjects which are harder.

My other question is, do you choose one major for each of you degrees in a double degree? For example, civil for engineering and finance for commerce.

Thanks everyone  :)

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Not telling
  • School Grad Year: 2019
Re: Bachelor of engineering and commerce
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 04:47:18 pm »
bump forum seems dead lol

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Bachelor of engineering and commerce
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 05:33:53 pm »
+1
Hi everyone,

With VTAC uni preferences coming up soon I've been doing a bit of research. I was wondering how many contact hours a week I could expect for Bachelor of engineering and commerce and whether I could fit it all into 3 days. I have heard that commerce by itself is 12 hours whereas engineering by itself is 25 hours so where would the double degree fall in terms of contact hours? (Also I understand it depends on subjects, but would appreciate if anyone could provide ranges or rough estimates)

Also how many hours outside of class are you expected to study? For example is a few hours each day you have uni enough?

I have heard that a bachelor of engineering is more difficult that a double degree with engineering and commerce, is that true? As I heard that by doing a double degree you can take less engineering subjects which are harder.

My other question is, do you choose one major for each of you degrees in a double degree? For example, civil for engineering and finance for commerce.

Thanks everyone  :)
The number of contacts hours will depend on the semester and your commerce major/engineering stream. However, from what I know this double degree can defintiely be done with 2-3 days a week. Obviously that is if you don't go to lectures and watch at home.
I think the university suggests 12 hours a week for each unit (including class time) but really no one really rigorously follows this and just make sure they are up to date.

Also hopefully this isn't a misconception but double degrees don't mean double the workload - you will still generally be studying 4 units as someone who is doing a single engineering degree would be doing.

Yes you choose two majors - commerce e.g. actuarial and Engineering E.g. Civil

I don't think you can say either Engineering on its own or a double is more difficult than the other. With a single Engineering degree you would normally be doing 3 Engineering units a semester but with a double degree that is closer to 2. Really depends on your strengths and likes for whether one is easier or harder than the other.