Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:10:20 pm

Author Topic: UNSW General Chat  (Read 80107 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: UNSW General Chat
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 11:14:31 am »
+2

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 01:06:33 am »
Anyone doing O-Week festivities?  ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 01:09:50 am »
+1
Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be recovered enough, because I'm scheduled to volunteer for the ASOC stand in the afternoon :P

Though, would love to hear some first-year stories

strawberriesarekewl

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 10:06:11 am »
Hey

So I remember Jake saying something like if you dont get your required ATAR for your desired course you do another degree for 6 months and then if you get a high WAM or something you change to your desired course however you are 6 months behind. Isn't this bad in terms of the draw backs on how you are not up to speed?

I guess ATAR's do determine your uni degree to some extent...

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 10:33:48 am »
Hey

So I remember Jake saying something like if you dont get your required ATAR for your desired course you do another degree for 6 months and then if you get a high WAM or something you change to your desired course however you are 6 months behind. Isn't this bad in terms of the draw backs on how you are not up to speed?

I guess ATAR's do determine your uni degree to some extent...

Hey! So I guess that is true to an extent, but 6 months out of your 50 years in the workforce (for us it could even be higher) is really not much in terms of being behind where you could have been. Remember you won't transfer into your course having missed content unless the course you had done for the 6 months covered it adequately. It is a little more common to do 1 year of a course, then transfer in to your preferred degree the year after - Starting the content with everyone else. It depends a little on how different the degrees are, but don't consider it negatively! At the end of the day, it's just about doing whatever you want to do at university - Any paths that lead there are good paths :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 02:51:39 pm »
I still remember that day that the bus stop at upper campus closed, leaving behind the only one.

Apparently the bus line went all the way onto the main walkway that day? Either way, felt good to just go for a different bus 8)

UNSW Sydney - Never ALWAYS stand still

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 03:26:44 pm »
I still remember that day that the bus stop at upper campus closed, leaving behind the only one.

Apparently the bus line went all the way onto the main walkway that day? Either way, felt good to just go for a different bus 8)

UNSW Sydney - Never ALWAYS stand still
Glad I usually don't need to catch buses anymore

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 06:22:30 pm »
Has anyone taken a class by Andrew Hingston?
If so, how does you feel that some of his courses' lectures have all been uploaded on Youtube:Here it is.

I'm very intrigued if any students that have had him know about him doing this and if the university is fine with him doing this. I remember him setting up a Dropbox with all the pdf of the lecture slides, worksheets and solutions to the lectures' questions for the personal finance course(This link no longer works though :()
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 07:36:44 pm »
Has anyone taken a class by Andrew Hingston?
If so, how does you feel that some of his courses' lectures have all been uploaded on Youtube:Here it is.

I'm very intrigued if any students that have had him know about him doing this and if the university is fine with him doing this. I remember him setting up a Dropbox with all the pdf of the lecture slides, worksheets and solutions to the lectures' questions for the personal finance course(This link no longer works though :()
I don't see any problem with the lectures being uploaded to YouTube. I've had three lecturers so far that have done this, one of which has been doing so for years.

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
UNSW General Chat
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2017, 11:47:17 am »
Hey guys,

I'm just sorting through enrolment now. I was wondering how exactly the courses work for my Commerce degree. It's saying that I need to put in the courses that I want to study, but have they already included the cores or do I need to put them in myself?

Also, am I supposed to choose the four flexible courses that I want to study now? And are these flexible courses going to be learnt throughout the degree or just my first year?

One more thing. I've accepted the offer but obviously haven't enrolled into my classes yet. Does this mean I'm still eligible to receive an offer from another university, like USYD?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. I figured I might ask some students about the process before calling the actual uni.
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 11:50:57 am »
+1
Hey guys,

I'm just sorting through enrolment now. I was wondering how exactly the courses work for my Commerce degree. It's saying that I need to put in the courses that I want to study, but have they already included the cores or do I need to put them in myself?

Also, am I supposed to choose the four flexible courses that I want to study now? And are these flexible courses going to be learnt throughout the degree or just my first year?

One more thing. I've accepted the offer but obviously haven't enrolled into my classes yet. Does this mean I'm still eligible to receive an offer from another university, like USYD?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. I figured I might ask some students about the process before calling the actual uni.

Hey! Find your course in the handbook and it should have a recommended structure there! ;D

Edit: Your course doesn't have one. Lovely. Basically, uni is much more flexible than you may expect (especially in something like Commerce) and your structure can vary based on your preference. If you are unsure, a good start would be to get those core courses done, assuming they are offered in Semester 1. For you I think these are:

ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics (6 UOC)
MGMT1001 Managing Organisations&People (6 UOC)

Edit #2: Are you straight commerce? If so, this will help, otherwise pick the one you need ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:55:19 am by jamonwindeyer »

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 08:10:19 pm »
Hey! Find your course in the handbook and it should have a recommended structure there! ;D

Edit: Your course doesn't have one. Lovely. Basically, uni is much more flexible than you may expect (especially in something like Commerce) and your structure can vary based on your preference. If you are unsure, a good start would be to get those core courses done, assuming they are offered in Semester 1. For you I think these are:

ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics (6 UOC)
MGMT1001 Managing Organisations&People (6 UOC)

Edit #2: Are you straight commerce? If so, this will help, otherwise pick the one you need ;D

Cheers Jamon,

UNSW has sent me an e-mail regarding my enrolment, and it seems as though they've sent a personal recommended structure as well. It was basically just the 4 core units. For my flexible units, I've decided to pick these as my 4:

MARK1012 Marketing Fundamentals
MGMT1101 Global Business Environment
TABL1710 Business and the Law
COMM1000 Creating Social Change

I'm actually dreading the compulsory economics and accounting courses though. I have a feeling that my lack of HSC maths could potentially make me struggle next year. I've decided not to do a bridging course for Mathematics though, as a lot of people have told me that it's unnecessary.

And yeah, straight Commerce at the moment. I would have loved to be able to do Com / Law, but there's a very long story about my delayed ID, which stopped me from being able to sit the LAT despite paying the fee for it.

I think I'll leave the enrolment for now. I want to wait for the January round to see whether or not USYD would take me for Com / Law. I'm not gonna complain about UNSW (I kind of prefer the campus and atmosphere better anyway), but it would be pretty cool to see USYD accept me.
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 08:22:34 am »
Hey guys,

My timetable looks like this at the moment. I was wondering if this is a normal setup for a full-time student? I honestly thought that I'd only be going to uni like 2-3 times a week.. I'm doing 8 courses at the moment as well, but I'm not sure if that's too many or not. It said that I need to have the 4 core courses, and 4 flexible ones so that's what I chose.

How many courses are you guys doing atm?

HSC 2017:

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2017, 08:54:07 am »
Hey guys,

My timetable looks like this at the moment. I was wondering if this is a normal setup for a full-time student? I honestly thought that I'd only be going to uni like 2-3 times a week.. I'm doing 8 courses at the moment as well, but I'm not sure if that's too many or not. It said that I need to have the 4 core courses, and 4 flexible ones so that's what I chose.

How many courses are you guys doing atm?

(Image removed from quote.)
Hey,
I'm going 4 days a week (tried to get three but one of the tutes filled up). I'm only doing 4 different units (three music and one education). 8 seems like a lot but I don't really know your course.

This is mine:
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
UNSW General Chat
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2017, 09:01:47 am »
Hey,
I'm going 4 days a week (tried to get three but one of the tutes filled up). I'm only doing 4 different units (three music and one education). 8 seems like a lot but I don't really know your course.

This is mine:
(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for the insight Katie. I definitely think that I'm doing too many courses. I'm doing a straight up Commerce degree, and I've already got more classes than your Education/Music degree. I'll have to call the uni after work tomorrow to sort things out. I have a slight feeling that the four compulsory courses that I included are supposed to be completed throughout the degree, rather than in a single year.
HSC 2017: