Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:18:06 pm

Author Topic: Just Another HSC Journal  (Read 23786 times)

Fluffysama_

• MOTM: June 20
  • Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
  • Respect: +39
Re: Just In Time? - Justin's HSC Journal
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2020, 10:43:30 pm »
justin bro, doode, man, bruv,
I love that spoiler,
the boys at my school did something similar but not as cool,
they smashed an apple with their head, 1v1 typa thing, was a highlight, defining moment in our school history

pps: i like meta, didn't mean it to come off as bad? last time, sorry about that!
Class of 2020: Advanced English, Japanese Beginners, Economics, Music 1, Visual Arts

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2020, 09:37:09 pm »
+8
Hey everyone!

I know I said I'd do an actual update in my last post but that was a massive lie. Things are incredibly tight at the moment, but I feel confident for some reason. I'm not going to bother putting everything in nice neat headings, but I might come back and do it later.

First off, just some general stuff. My laptop's battery has been dying lately, probably because I have wayyy too many tabs open 24/7 for all my subjects. When I first got it, it lasted 8+ hours, but now it barely reaches 4. Luckly, I have software in the middle of the day pretty much every day, so I can just charge it then. Still, tad concerning.

Next off T3 assessments. I've only got a few back, but I'm happy and disappointed at the same time. I'll go through all of the one by one.

English
I have a imaginative + persuasive + 2 reflections due friday, which I just finished. I'll talk about why later down, but I have high hopes for this one.

Modern History
Really good! We finished Apartheid in South Africa, which I found difficult at first but it was quite interesting by the end albeit quite linear. But, seeing how similarities between those movements and the current Black Lives Matter movement in the US has been pretty cool, since there are a surprising amount of similarities. Another note, for the exam I got 24/25!!! I think this is the highest mark I've gotten in HSC ever, so I'm hella happy.

We just started Arab Israeli Conflict, which is much harder and absolute hell in terms of foreign relations, but I enjoy the relevance and everything. Looking forward to really delving into this during the holidays!

Maths
Advanced I haven't gotten back yet, but for Ext 1 I absolutely fucked it, 35%, one of the lowest in the class. Nothing I can do about it though, although it has been quite a blow considering I was expecting to pass at least.

Software
WE FINISHED THE WHOLE COURSE! We have a small class + everyone had prior programming/computing knowledge, so we were able to blaze through the content and last week, we officially finished the entire HSC course. This means that for the rest of the year, we can just do past papers in class. A massive relief, it definitely takes a lot of stress of me.

History Extension
This will be the death of me. It's due Tuesday next week, and I only have 2000/2500 words. I've submitted a draft to my teacher (We're allow one full draft submission), which I'll get back on Friday. I'm super annoyed at myself for getting myself into this situation, but I can't even.

So pretty much, I have English on Friday, History Ext next Monday. I've pretty much done English, so I have Thursday to redraft my essay to 2500 words, plus referencing and all associated documentation. I'm headed to a friends 18th on Friday, so I need to get together a card and gift tomorrow alongside everything else. I'm really looking forward to it though, It's one good thing about this absolute kerfuffle that has been Term 2. Weekend will be completely redoing my entire major project into something resembling History Extension standard. I'm suppose I'm not so much afraid of a bad mark as disappointing my teacher. She's just so amazing and has so much faith in everyone that I'd feel bad not delivering a good or at least engaging end product.

I swear to god, term 2 has been the literal embodiment of 2020 for me. We would have usually done our yearly musical last week, and I'm lowkey glad that was cancelled because I would be dead if I had to do a midnight bump out last Saturday (When our musical would have ended). Do miss not having afters though. We did do a livestreamed rewatch of last year's musical though, which was really wholesome and brought back some great memories. Looking back, the quality of my journal has been going way downhill, but that's just something you'll just have to accept.

Spoiler
One more thing, I emailed my History Extention teacher the other day and she replied in THREE (3) minutes!?!?! Like how??? I take half an hour just to draft an email!!!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:56:20 pm by Justin_L »
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

Justin_L

• HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2020, 08:36:41 pm »
+10
Hey y'all,

I finished my History Extension today!!! I cannot begin to describe the satisfaction I had when I signed off on that declaration sheet and handed my essay in. Quite fittingly, it was my very last assessment this term, and thus my last hand in assessment ever! It's all downhill from here, whoo!

Like I said, it feels amazing to have completed all my assessments this term. The only negative is that our teachers have started piling resources on us to prep for trials, which I'll have to sift through later. Otherwise, all is well.

Now it's just finishing off the week and getting my holiday plans in order! There is so much to do, and so little time. I'd like to start working on some side projects, but I probably won't have the time. I've been looking into alternate entry programs like UNSW FEAS, since I'm a bit skeptical I can hit a 90+ ATAR with my current grades, especially my math. We shall see.

Adios!

EDIT:
About my History Extension, I suppose I can say that I'm happy with it, but it's definitely not what I expected to produce. I think I might do a whole post about that something in the future, alongside some advice for future students doing the project because I've definitely learned a lot, regardless of how I go.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 10:15:09 am by Justin_L »

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2020, 08:43:06 pm »
+2
Congrats on handing in your history extension major!!  :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2020, 09:03:22 pm »
+3
I finished my History Extension today!!! I cannot begin to describe the satisfaction I had when I signed off on that declaration sheet and handed my essay in. Quite fittingly, it was my very last assessment this term, and thus my last hand in assessment ever! It's all downhill from here, whoo!
Congrat's on submitting your History Extension Major Work!

Now it's just finishing off the week and getting my holiday plans in order! There is so much to do, and so little time. I'd like to start working on some side projects, but I probably won't have the time. I've been looking into alternate entry programs like UNSW FEAS, since I'm a bit skeptical I can hit a 90+ ATAR with my current grades, especially my math. We shall see.
Highly recommend applying to UNSW FEAS!! I have many friends who got into engineering through FEAS so it's a great opportunity for anyone even if they were confident in getting 90+ :) Although I will say, don't lost hope on that 90+ ATAR. A lot of students tend to be pleasantly surprised with their ATAR ;)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2020, 05:08:19 pm »
+2
Hey y'all,

OH MY GOSH!!! I am so happy for you, congrats! That must feel AMAZING. Enjoy the rest of this week to mentally prepare for the studying ahead  :(
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Justin_L

• HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2020, 09:11:05 pm »
+1
Congrats on handing in your history extension major!!  :D

Congrat's on submitting your History Extension Major Work!

Thank you so much!

Highly recommend applying to UNSW FEAS!! I have many friends who got into engineering through FEAS so it's a great opportunity for anyone even if they were confident in getting 90+ :) Although I will say, don't lost hope on that 90+ ATAR. A lot of students tend to be pleasantly surprised with their ATAR ;)

Haha, I really hope so. The application process is pretty daunting though (I hate videoing myself)

OH MY GOSH!!! I am so happy for you, congrats! That must feel AMAZING. Enjoy the rest of this week to mentally prepare for the studying ahead  :(

It really does! I think this term has probably been the most intense ever, which has only made this more satisfying. Definitely looking forward to the next few days!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 10:12:01 pm by Justin_L »

Justin_L

• HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2020, 09:51:08 pm »
+6
Term 2 Review

A week into T2 holidays, I thought it's be helpful to review the past term and my progress so I can plan out what to focus on and what I have to prep for next term. Term 2 definitely didn't go how I wanted it to go, but I'm mostly satisfied with how I did. Our school refuses to give ranks, so I'm just going to guesstimate how I'm doing in each subject. While I like the idea behind it because it discourages petty competition over ranks, it also makes it a bit hard to tell how you're progressing.

English
To be honest I feel like I haven't learnt anything at all this year in English. All we really did this term was a "dramatic reading" of the play, as well our Craft of Writing task, which I'd pretty much drafted over the T1 holidays and only needed to polish up. Upside of that task is that I have a fairly polished Persuasive and Imaginative done, although my Discursives are still terrible. I'm hovering just below a A range level based off my marks, so I'd really like to change that around for trials. In terms of rank, I'm probably somewhere in the middle of our cohort.

In terms of trials, I think I might be slightly screwed considering the last time I handwrote an English essay was for Yr 11 Yearlies. That's really my fault, nothing I can say about that. Right now I think the best thing I can do is to start constructing quote tables for all of my texts, so that I can start building up modular paragraphs to mix and match later. It's super time consuming though, and hard to know where to even start. I've decided to group them thematically, which seems to be working well so far.

Maths
I've looked through my advanced paper, and I think I mostly went wrong in that in the beginning, I realized I forgot my calculator and panicked. I lost around the first ~5 minutes of the exam because I had to ask for permission to go out and get it, and then I came back flustered and ended up making lots of silly errors in the first few pages of the exam. I also didn't properly understand integration, which lost me a whole lot of marks. I think that if I had done the exam with a clear head and even a basic understanding of integration, I could have easily lifted my mark from a 30% to a 60%.

In terms of extension, I didn't get much of a chance to look at it and so I really can't say where I went wrong. I suppose it does make sense though, because the exam tested Trigonometry and Calculus, which have always been my weakest areas and couldn't have been remediated with any sort of last minute study. There is a massive amount of content I need to cover for trials, so I suppose the only thing I can do is crunch through as much as reasonable. I'm going to focus on the core skills like integration, so that I lose as few marks as possible on foundational content. Luckily, I'm doing 12 units so only 1 unit of math will be counted in my ATAR assuming I do well in all my other subjects.

History
History's been going well, I'm consistently getting high marks and I'm guessing I'm probably in the top 10 at our school for Modern. I'm mainly worried about Russia and the Soviet Union and the Arab Israeli conflict, since those are guaranteed essay responses and my weakest areas. I have a solid set of notes and readings from our teacher's powerpoints and handouts, so I'm going to focus on making detail tables and consolidating my knowledge, especially for the core study which was a while ago. I also need to revise all my content for extension, seeing as I haven't touched constructing history in over a term. Our teacher did say she'd go over the entire process how to formulate a history extension response next term which is quite reassuring.

Tech
Software and Entertainment are going well, we've finished all course content and it's such a small and highly skilled class that ranks are largely irrelevant. Just past papers from here out, although the thought of it is super tiring considering each paper is 3 hours. Even if I do the paper in sections, just the mere thought is tiring. Still, I'm quite optimistic.

Trials, Holiday, and Careers Stuff

I've been taking things easy for the past week, and taking advantage of a more laid back schedule. I think online learning has really helped for my self discipline and organisation, in that I've been able to keep up my regular day and sleep schedules more or less. I've been catching up on a lot of things that I didn't have the chance to properly watch or read through during the term, particularly some of Richard Buckland's videos. He has some really cool insights into education and computing, which gives a good insight into some of the courses I may want to do if I end up at UNSW.

On that note, I've been reconsidering a lot of my uni preferences. Originally, I wanted to study a combined Advanced Computing / International Security degree at ANU, but with the new fee changes and resurgence of covid, studying a double computing and humanities degree interstate doesn't make much sense with increased fees and the distinct possibility of a resurgence in travel restrictions, considering how covid is performing globally.

I haven't put together my UAC preferences yet, but I'm probably going to redo all of my planning on what unis I want to apply for. I have an ANU Early Entry application active right now, so I'm waiting to see how that pans out. I'm planning on applying to the next round of UNSW FEAS, now that I'm not sure if I want to go to ANU. I'm not sure how many rounds there actually are or how it affects my application, but I'd like to polish up my previous projects a bit so that I can talk about them.

Anyways, that's about it for now. There's so much to do and think about, and I've been keeping quite busy despite the laid back break. This turned into a massive info dump, and if you actually bothered to read the whole thing, my sincerest apologies. Hope you've all been well, and good luck for the new term!

EDIT: 50th post, and am now a "Forum Regular". Not sure if this is a good thing or not 🤔
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 09:53:59 pm by Justin_L »

Justin_L

• HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2020, 07:10:47 pm »
+8
Hey guys, just wanted to do a quick start of term update.

I got my history extension major back today, and I got a 21/25, a bit below the class average. I was honestly a bit disappointed despite it not being too much of a "bad" mark by any means, but I can certainly see why I got the mark I did. Looking back, my topic was very historiographical but my argument lacked nuance and had some valid issues with structure and references. My biggest issue was probably my not entirely academic tone and the fact I didn't fully quite know where to and not to footnote, and so I said a lot of stuff that wasn't backed up properly. Considering the circumstances, I still think I did my absolute best and put everything I had into the project last term. But looking back, I really should have used a reference manager early on and started drafting Term 1 at least so I could have more time to spot these issues of nuance and structure.

I also officially dropped maths extension today. It was something that had to be done, and I feel like I'll really be able to improve my maths marks now that I don't have to split my time between 2 maths subjects. I talked to a lot of people about dropping and got a lot of conflicting views. My friends all heavily discouraged me because they know I want to do computing and that the scaling will boost me, but they're also pretty much all doing Extension 2 maths, so they're all a tad biased.

I talked to an engineering student from UNSW who said that I should be fine for assumed knowledge considering I've essentially done the whole course and that I can cover any gaps in my knowledge in the gap between HSC and Uni, or even during first year. Personally, I know this is the right choice since getting all of my maths foundational skills nailed will help me more than having a broad but weak range of skills. But a part of still feels like I'm admitting failure by dropping, and that this is some sort of admission that I'm not "good enough" for higher maths. A lot of the content I learned in the course is relevant to what I want to study in uni, with things like mathematical induction, differential equations, and vectors being directly linked to computer science proofs and engineering content. Dropping feels like I'm throwing that away, despite the fact I've technically already learned all of it since we've finished everything other than projectile motion after trials.

Anyways, while I was chatting about maths I was talking about how I wished I could also also look into engineering stuff in a computing course, and I was suggested to look into mechatronic engineering, which is essentially a combination of computing, electrical, and mechanic engineering from what I've read. It look pretty cool, and I'll definitely need to compare the courses in more detail. 

I have trials coming up in a week, and I an honestly so lost as to how I can cover all of the content in a week. Dropping extension has freed up time for me to work on advanced, so I'm going to try and make the most of that time as possible.  I'm a lot less scared after coming back from holidays and hearing how my friends are just as lost as I am, which did make me feel better but really isn't a good attitude to have. But still, it's only been 3 days back but it feels so much longer.

Thanks for reading, and good luck to anyone else going into trials

Justin_L

• HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
Re: Just Another HSC Journal
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2020, 07:43:27 pm »
+8
Hey! Seeing all the people starting or have started their trials this week, I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck! It's been a pleasure reading all your journals, and I'm sure you'll all smash it! I'm starting my trials tomorrow, but seeing every else going through the same thing has been reassuring in a weird sort of way since it's something that everyone has to go through, regardless of prepared you are. At this point, I feel like everything has been leading up to this whether we all realised this or not, and it really comes down to everything done throughout the year and while last minute things like quotes or details can boost you up, a fundamental understanding of the content will be the real driver.

See y'all on the other side!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 07:45:58 pm by Justin_L »

Fluffysama_

• Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2020, 07:24:12 pm »
Term 2 Review

A week into T2 holidays, I thought it's be helpful to review the past term and my progress so I can plan out what to focus on and what I have to prep for next term. Term 2 definitely didn't go how I wanted it to go, but I'm mostly satisfied with how I did. Our school refuses to give ranks, so I'm just going to guesstimate how I'm doing in each subject. While I like the idea behind it because it discourages petty competition over ranks, it also makes it a bit hard to tell how you're progressing.

English
To be honest I feel like I haven't learnt anything at all this year in English. All we really did this term was a "dramatic reading" of the play, as well our Craft of Writing task, which I'd pretty much drafted over the T1 holidays and only needed to polish up. Upside of that task is that I have a fairly polished Persuasive and Imaginative done, although my Discursives are still terrible. I'm hovering just below a A range level based off my marks, so I'd really like to change that around for trials. In terms of rank, I'm probably somewhere in the middle of our cohort.

In terms of trials, I think I might be slightly screwed considering the last time I handwrote an English essay was for Yr 11 Yearlies. That's really my fault, nothing I can say about that. Right now I think the best thing I can do is to start constructing quote tables for all of my texts, so that I can start building up modular paragraphs to mix and match later. It's super time consuming though, and hard to know where to even start. I've decided to group them thematically, which seems to be working well so far.

Maths
I've looked through my advanced paper, and I think I mostly went wrong in that in the beginning, I realized I forgot my calculator and panicked. I lost around the first ~5 minutes of the exam because I had to ask for permission to go out and get it, and then I came back flustered and ended up making lots of silly errors in the first few pages of the exam. I also didn't properly understand integration, which lost me a whole lot of marks. I think that if I had done the exam with a clear head and even a basic understanding of integration, I could have easily lifted my mark from a 30% to a 60%.

In terms of extension, I didn't get much of a chance to look at it and so I really can't say where I went wrong. I suppose it does make sense though, because the exam tested Trigonometry and Calculus, which have always been my weakest areas and couldn't have been remediated with any sort of last minute study. There is a massive amount of content I need to cover for trials, so I suppose the only thing I can do is crunch through as much as reasonable. I'm going to focus on the core skills like integration, so that I lose as few marks as possible on foundational content. Luckily, I'm doing 12 units so only 1 unit of math will be counted in my ATAR assuming I do well in all my other subjects.

History
History's been going well, I'm consistently getting high marks and I'm guessing I'm probably in the top 10 at our school for Modern. I'm mainly worried about Russia and the Soviet Union and the Arab Israeli conflict, since those are guaranteed essay responses and my weakest areas. I have a solid set of notes and readings from our teacher's powerpoints and handouts, so I'm going to focus on making detail tables and consolidating my knowledge, especially for the core study which was a while ago. I also need to revise all my content for extension, seeing as I haven't touched constructing history in over a term. Our teacher did say she'd go over the entire process how to formulate a history extension response next term which is quite reassuring.

Tech
Software and Entertainment are going well, we've finished all course content and it's such a small and highly skilled class that ranks are largely irrelevant. Just past papers from here out, although the thought of it is super tiring considering each paper is 3 hours. Even if I do the paper in sections, just the mere thought is tiring. Still, I'm quite optimistic.

Trials, Holiday, and Careers Stuff

I've been taking things easy for the past week, and taking advantage of a more laid back schedule. I think online learning has really helped for my self discipline and organisation, in that I've been able to keep up my regular day and sleep schedules more or less. I've been catching up on a lot of things that I didn't have the chance to properly watch or read through during the term, particularly some of Richard Buckland's videos. He has some really cool insights into education and computing, which gives a good insight into some of the courses I may want to do if I end up at UNSW.

On that note, I've been reconsidering a lot of my uni preferences. Originally, I wanted to study a combined Advanced Computing / International Security degree at ANU, but with the new fee changes and resurgence of covid, studying a double computing and humanities degree interstate doesn't make much sense with increased fees and the distinct possibility of a resurgence in travel restrictions, considering how covid is performing globally.

I haven't put together my UAC preferences yet, but I'm probably going to redo all of my planning on what unis I want to apply for. I have an ANU Early Entry application active right now, so I'm waiting to see how that pans out. I'm planning on applying to the next round of UNSW FEAS, now that I'm not sure if I want to go to ANU. I'm not sure how many rounds there actually are or how it affects my application, but I'd like to polish up my previous projects a bit so that I can talk about them.

Anyways, that's about it for now. There's so much to do and think about, and I've been keeping quite busy despite the laid back break. This turned into a massive info dump, and if you actually bothered to read the whole thing, my sincerest apologies. Hope you've all been well, and good luck for the new term!

EDIT: 50th post, and am now a "Forum Regular". Not sure if this is a good thing or not 🤔

Hey! Glad to hear you're doing well
i wanted to get into ANU TOOOOO!!! its me and Alice's dream uni!!! I hope if we all get in we can actually do a meet up or sum!! congrats on being "forum regular"!!
Class of 2020: Advanced English, Japanese Beginners, Economics, Music 1, Visual Arts

Justin_L

• HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2020, 07:50:19 pm »
Hey! Glad to hear you're doing well
i wanted to get into ANU TOOOOO!!! its me and Alice's dream uni!!! I hope if we all get in we can actually do a meet up or sum!! congrats on being "forum regular"!!

Damn, that sounds strange but also really cool at the same time, fingers crossed we all get in! I think the early entry offers come out next Monday, so really hoping that goes well. hahaha I guess "forum regular' probably means I'm spending way too much time on the forums.

Fluffysama_

• Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
Re: Just Another HSC Journal
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2020, 07:51:51 pm »
Hey! Seeing all the people starting or have started their trials this week, I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck! It's been a pleasure reading all your journals, and I'm sure you'll all smash it! I'm starting my trials tomorrow, but seeing every else going through the same thing has been reassuring in a weird sort of way since it's something that everyone has to go through, regardless of prepared you are. At this point, I feel like everything has been leading up to this whether we all realised this or not, and it really comes down to everything done throughout the year and while last minute things like quotes or details can boost you up, a fundamental understanding of the content will be the real driver.

See y'all on the other side!

efiwehfiwehf thanks JUSTIN!! YOU TOOOOooODASJDIOSAJDJSA i'm literally cheering so hard right now!! Hope you do exceptional!!!

Fluffysama_

• Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2020, 07:52:32 pm »
Damn, that sounds strange but also really cool at the same time, fingers crossed we all get in! I think the early entry offers come out next Monday, so really hoping that goes well. hahaha I guess "forum regular' probably means I'm spending way too much time on the forums.

brooo hiiii
Its the first time I've met some one on the forum and been online at the exact same time, pretty wicked chicken nugget

Justin_L

• HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2020, 07:55:55 pm »
+1
brooo hiiii
Its the first time I've met some one on the forum and been online at the exact same time, pretty wicked chicken nugget

same, procrastinating for english right now but I guess most people just lurk