Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:01:30 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570983 times)  Share 

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #3510 on: October 18, 2014, 11:21:56 am »
What did we need to know about rational drug design?
Inhibition.

The fact that the structure of a particular enzyme's active site needs to be identified. A potential inhibitor, complementary to the active site of the enzyme is created. This is then exposed to the enzyme via injection or other means of delivery system. This 'inhibits' the enzyme's functionality as substrate is blocked out, meaning the artificial drug is successful and efficient. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:27:04 am by Reus »
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

shivaji

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3511 on: October 18, 2014, 11:27:02 am »
is evolution regarded as a process? or is it just artificial + natural selections which are regarded as processes?

shivaji

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3512 on: October 18, 2014, 11:32:12 am »
I know this has been asked many times and maybe stupid but;

When we answer short answer questions, are we meant to get like exactly the same answers as what VCAA provides?
If you manage to include the information in the answers, but give extra info, do they mark you down?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3513 on: October 18, 2014, 11:58:33 am »
+1
Could someone please explain the attached question to me. The answer is C :)

Also, do we need to know the functions of plant hormones, or was that removed from the study design?

Not on the study design. Quite frankly, I have no clue how to answer that question...

I know this has been asked many times and maybe stupid but;

When we answer short answer questions, are we meant to get like exactly the same answers as what VCAA provides?
If you manage to include the information in the answers, but give extra info, do they mark you down?

You should try not to give extra info. If any of that info is wrong, you'll be marked down. If it's correct, you won't be. It's best to resist showing off though.

Inhibition.

The fact that the structure of a particular enzyme's active site needs to be identified. A potential inhibitor, complementary to the active site of the enzyme is created. This is then exposed to the enzyme via injection or other means of delivery system. This 'inhibits' the enzyme's functionality as substrate is blocked out, meaning the artificial drug is successful and efficient. 

This is perfect. RDD is now spoken about solely in terms of a drug's interaction with enzymes.

2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

auds

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #3514 on: October 18, 2014, 01:40:51 pm »
Q: A couple seek a genetic counsellor's advice about their chances of having a child with the autosomal recessive condition of Tay Sachs disease. Both the female and the male have a sibling with Tay Sachs but no other family members have the disease. The advice would be that the probability of their child having Tay Sachs would be????

The answer says 1/9, but I'm a bit confused as to how they ended up at that answer.....
Pls do not send me a pm about Aspire applications. The process has vastly changed since I applied.

Indo SL [50]
My Indo Advice Thread :)

Tutoring for Methods in 2020.
Click here for more info

shivaji

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3515 on: October 18, 2014, 02:02:16 pm »
are parasitic life styles and the strucutures which aid parasitic life (e.g. hookers etc.) removed from the study design? can't find it really

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #3516 on: October 18, 2014, 02:34:34 pm »
Q: A couple seek a genetic counsellor's advice about their chances of having a child with the autosomal recessive condition of Tay Sachs disease. Both the female and the male have a sibling with Tay Sachs but no other family members have the disease. The advice would be that the probability of their child having Tay Sachs would be????

The answer says 1/9, but I'm a bit confused as to how they ended up at that answer.....

These questions are hard to do before you know how but fairly simple after. You have to work out the possible genotypes of the man/woman and then the probability they'll have a kid with the condition. It's complicated because you can't actually determine what their genotype is, only what possibilities it could be.

TSD is autosomal recessive, so the parents of each member of the couple must both be carriers (Rr).

Therefore, there is a 2/3 chance that the male partner is a carrier (rR or Rr) and a 66% chance the female partner is a carrier. Since they don't have TSD, there are only three possible genotypes, which is why it's out of 3 (rr is impossible). The probability of them being carriers is independent so 2/3 * 2/3 = 4/9

If they're both carriers, there is a 1/4 chance that they have an affected child. Therefore 4/9 * 1/4 = 4/36 = 1/9

You should try not to give extra info. If any of that info is wrong, you'll be marked down. If it's correct, you won't be. It's best to resist showing off though.

VCAA don't mark you down if you give extra, wrong information unless something has changed. They're usually instructed to only mark the first X things written on the paper though.

Scrono13

« Reply #3517 on: October 18, 2014, 02:55:01 pm »
Do we need to to know the out of Africa hypothesis and the Multiregional hypothesis?

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #3518 on: October 18, 2014, 03:04:14 pm »
Considering RNA polymerase contains a helicase subunit, would it be accurate to say that RNA polymerase catalyses the unwinding (catabolism) of DNA during transcription?

Also, you couldn't just write that RNA polymerase 'unwinds' the DNA molecule because enzymes catalyse rather than take part in the actual reaction...right? Or is that being too pedantic, because textbooks always suggest that  that enzymes actually are a part of the reaction.
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #3519 on: October 18, 2014, 03:20:41 pm »
Considering RNA polymerase contains a helicase subunit, would it be accurate to say that RNA polymerase catalyses the unwinding (catabolism) of DNA during transcription?

Also, you couldn't just write that RNA polymerase 'unwinds' the DNA molecule because enzymes catalyse rather than take part in the actual reaction...right? Or is that being too pedantic, because textbooks always suggest that  that enzymes actually are a part of the reaction.
It unwinds the DNA double helix either way.

walkec

« Reply #3520 on: October 18, 2014, 03:47:34 pm »
Just completing the LisaChem 2013 exam and it says..

"Different theories exist of the speed of evolution. Explain the differences between 'gradualism' and 'punctuated equilibrium" theories.

We never looked at this in class, can someone please explain them to me?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3521 on: October 18, 2014, 04:01:13 pm »
+2

Enzymes do take part in the reaction, they're just not consumed by it.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3522 on: October 18, 2014, 04:57:30 pm »
Does the term 'complementary regulatory protein' just refer to complement proteins?

Also for the attached question I thought the answer would be A, but the correct answer is B.

I didn't know the proliferation of cytotoxic T cells was also termed 'clonal expansion'? similar to B lymphocytes?

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #3523 on: October 18, 2014, 05:24:33 pm »
+1

Does the term 'complementary regulatory protein' just refer to complement proteins?

Also for the attached question I thought the answer would be A, but the correct answer is B.

I didn't know the proliferation of cytotoxic T cells was also termed 'clonal expansion'? similar to B lymphocytes?
T cells can only bind to specific antigens expressed on MHC.
I guess it is clonal expansion considering they proliferate.

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3524 on: October 18, 2014, 05:36:55 pm »
T cells can only bind to specific antigens expressed on MHC.
I guess it is clonal expansion considering they proliferate.

Thanks !