Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:39:29 am

Author Topic: Hi Dean and this is my Story  (Read 1789 times)  Share 

Deano2112

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +5
Hi Dean and this is my Story
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:23:36 pm »
+13
Hey there,

I’m Dean; I just wanted to tell a quick story about my uni life and how I got here from being somewhere else.
I completed year 12 last years with an ATAR of 59. Initially I was disappointed and I mean super disappointed. I was hoping to get into media studies and study film, it was my dream and it was all I could think about all year. So getting that atar put me so down, I knew ever so clearly that I hadn't made it. All of that work and all of those hours of studying and what for? I asked myself. It was a few weeks later that I managed to find myself getting accepted into a diploma of screen and media. One step closer to my dream. This was amazing, I knew it wasn't where I wanted to start but it was a step forward. I was happy.
In the weeks leading up to starting my course I was full of excitement, awaiting each day and making the most of my summer break. It was when it was one week until my course started that I received a phone call from my hopeful university claiming that my course was cancelled due to a lack of numbers and I had one week to find a new course. One-step backwards. This shook me, a step forwards then backwards wasn't what I was hoping for but I figured it was only up from there. I was right.

Two days afterwards I was looking at online courses and found the Diploma of Marketing Communications at Swinburne University. This is a course that hadn't fully interested me but I figured what could go wrong, it could be used as a pathway for uni and to be honest that’s all I wanted.
Jumping many months into the future I'm now coming into my final week of uni here I am. Many hours studying, working, catching trains and more studying again. Through this course I was able to learn basic skills to complex skills in marketing. These are skills ill forever use in my future courses at Swinburne University. Completing this course has allowed me to get accepted into a double degree studying media and marketing. Three steps forward.

Looking back at the start of the year I was in one place and now I'm in another. Where I was wasn't great but do I regret it? No. Thanks to this course I've been able to get into where I want to get into and a bit more on top of that. Ill forever be grateful for that.
I don't know if anyone will read this post but if anyone does thank you. Hope you are all doing well and good luck with your studies.
Dean Snow

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Hi Dean and this is my Story
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 07:28:58 pm »
+4
This is awesome! A true story of someone succeeding and being happy, despite not getting a "good" ATAR. :) I'm so glad you were able to find peace with your outcome, and keep shooting on, despite any misgivings you might've had. Hopefully you can push others to do the same.

Deano2112

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 07:36:05 pm »
+4
Thanks heaps for the feedback. My Story is merely the tip of the Iceberg for me ATAR and schooling experience. Earlier this year i headlined in a an article about Atars and the schooling system. If you're curious feel free to have a read below  :)

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/they-thought-id-become-a-tradie-why-schools-lock-students-out-of-the-vce-20170220-gugpmm.html

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:18:54 pm »
+2
Thanks for sharing this, Dean! Great story, and I'm sure there'll be many more steps forward from here. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.