Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:40:37 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 847245 times)  Share 

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #2580 on: August 12, 2020, 10:43:37 pm »
I actually can’t write a text response on a film (rear window) and with exams fast approaching idk what to do. Should I try thematic paragraphs? Like instead of writing to a prompt write big paragraphs of each them with lots of quotes and analyse. I just don’t understand authorial intent or anything 😞 I’m writing an essay online for my teacher Rn but it’s just so bad I can attach it if you’d like.

Spoiler
Prompt: the appearance between appearance and reality is central to the film

The views Hitchcock encourages the audience to form are based on the character's appearance. The male gaze through which Rear Window is delivered facilitates this as Jeff's interpretation of characters becomes the audiences.  Lisa introduces herself while turning on lights as “Lisa.Carol.Fremont”. The dull lighting coupled with dialogue suggests that Lisa is portraying the best version of herself by illuminating herself, welcoming any onlookers. Hitchcock is highlighting the idea that females at the time were seen as objects but wanted to take control of exactly how they were seen. Hitchcock continued to lead the audience to make conclusions based on what they saw through the characterisation of Miss Torso and Miss “Lonelyhearts”. Many of the “bathing beauties” which Jefferies saw through his window were given qualities solely based on what Jefferies saw of them. Miss Lonelyhearts' introduction was accompanied by sombre music and Stella wondering if “anyone in the neighbourhood who'd” look “in her direction”. This accompanying non diegetic sound encouraged the audience to view her loneliness as misfortune. Hitchcock draws light on the fact that in a post cold war society it was seen as “abnormal” not to have company. Hitchcock has Jefferies apartment looking down on Miss Lonelyhearts signifying that Jefferies was above Miss Lonelyhearts and dissimilar therefore dissimilar to her. By leading the audience to take what is presented to them at face value Hitchcock intends for the audience to see the stark contrast with reality.

[/spoiler= first paragraph ]
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #2581 on: August 17, 2020, 10:16:33 pm »
+4
Hi, In English we are currently studying the play Medea and I was wondering if anyone had any useful resources that I could use for an essay that I need to write. In particular around the topic of Jason's betrayal and how this contributes towards the tragedy of Medea? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,
Have you looked at the Free Notes section of AN? You could search it up with Medea as the keyword - in fact, having done such a search, without specifying anything else either, I come up with five results. They may help, they may not - I'm not doing Medea so I haven't looked at them.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2582 on: September 06, 2020, 01:07:28 pm »
what is the difference between presenting argument analysis essay and a language analysis argument. how do they differ in terms of structure.

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #2583 on: September 06, 2020, 11:01:31 pm »
Hi AN! Does anyone have any tips on choosing body paragraph ideas for comparative prompts (or text response). I feel like I always break up my paragraphs in strange ways, that end up being too complicated and messy.

Also maybe like a formula to decide body paragraphs? (As an maths/science person I really struggle with the freedom of deciding body paragraphs.)

For example, I chose these body paragraphs for this prompt: 'How does Ransom and The Queen show that leaders must change with changing times?' These were my paragraphs, but I always feel that these don't have enough depth.
1. New and contrasting relationships were formed in both texts, allowing leaders and outsiders to grow from each other, eventually causing changes in the leader’s personal beliefs.
2. The ability of a leader to step outside traditional roles in order to face adversity drives the plotline for both narratives, as changing times call for new ways to act.
3. Furthermore, as plotlines of both works drive forward, it becomes evident that the ability of leaders to change themselves leaves a positive impact on others

Am I being too plot based with my paragraph division? How can I improve this?

Thank you so much  :D Would really appreciate any help.

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #2584 on: September 07, 2020, 12:23:47 am »
+6
//

hey artydreams! so when it comes to my essay writing, i tend to list off ideas on how i can best support my contention in a way takes more than surface-level plot info into consideration. in the examples i've provided below, where the prompt discusses power, structures, oppression, marginalisation, i took those key ideas and pulled out examples from the text i could work with (prejudice, patriarchy, conforming)
when working with topic sentences i find that overarching themes and ideas are easier to discuss than plot-based or character-based topic sentences, as i am able to draw from many areas of the text that don't necessarily need to be in chronological order. i feel like very specific topic sentences often leave no wiggle room for broader analysis or interpretation  (in my pg my topic sentence revolves around prejudice > i've explored the contrasting explorations of prejudice in both texts, one text exploring racial prejudice and the other exploring religious prejudice)

as for a methodical approach to topic sentences, finding those key words in your contention and linking them to key ideas explored within the texts can help you with forming the arguments that are deeper than surface level/plot points

tldr; i'd focus on theme and idea based topic sentences over plot or character based, as it allows you to explore a range of evidence and not necessarily in a way that retells the plot, and gives you more wiggle room to broaden your ideas instead of being restricted to one idea

my example ;

Prompt: Power in society is reinforced through structures designed to oppress marginalised groups. How is this explored in both texts?
Contention: Both ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ (TKAM) and ‘The Crucible’ are representations of how societies oppress marginalised groups to maintain the places of those in power.

1. The contrasting explorations of prejudice within both texts reveals how biased thought affects one’s beliefs and actions.
2. The patriarchal social environments evident in both ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ and ‘The Crucible’ depict how societies value men in powerful positions instead of women.
3. Both authors’ exploration of the consequences people suffer for not conforming represent the broader power the majority have in influencing the actions of others.

i'm not sure if this will apply to you really bc i'm in year 11 butttt hopefully this made some kind of sense and helped you in SOME way honestly not sure lmao but wish you the best (:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 12:28:52 am by blueycan »

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2585 on: September 07, 2020, 12:52:33 pm »
+4
Hi AN! Does anyone have any tips on choosing body paragraph ideas for comparative prompts (or text response). I feel like I always break up my paragraphs in strange ways, that end up being too complicated and messy.

Also maybe like a formula to decide body paragraphs? (As an maths/science person I really struggle with the freedom of deciding body paragraphs.)

For example, I chose these body paragraphs for this prompt: 'How does Ransom and The Queen show that leaders must change with changing times?' These were my paragraphs, but I always feel that these don't have enough depth.
1. New and contrasting relationships were formed in both texts, allowing leaders and outsiders to grow from each other, eventually causing changes in the leader’s personal beliefs.
2. The ability of a leader to step outside traditional roles in order to face adversity drives the plotline for both narratives, as changing times call for new ways to act.
3. Furthermore, as plotlines of both works drive forward, it becomes evident that the ability of leaders to change themselves leaves a positive impact on others

Am I being too plot based with my paragraph division? How can I improve this?

Thank you so much  :D Would really appreciate any help.

I did ransom and invictus last year year 11. For arguments I usually think of ideas in both texts which are similar and then make them a general thing.

1. In both Ransom and Invictus leaders made familial sacrifice in order to lead their country in the right direction.

I know this isn’t relevant to the queen btw!!! But Changing times and familial sacrifice- they must sacrifice their family in order to properly fufill this role of leaders

2. As the story progresses both Mandela and Priam must compromise their personal beliefs in order to......

In ransom (don’t quote me this was a year ago). Prism had to change his ideals to fit with the Trojans or something? He had to alter what him and his family firmly believed to be correct in order to continue.

Haha please take this advice with a grain of salt I’m a year 12. But I think of arguments as points underneath the contention- stuff which backs it up.

In maths Methods terms I guess the arguments would be a response to a show that question? Prove that does Ransom and The Queen show that leaders must change with changing times?'
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 12:55:33 pm by Coolgalbornin03Lo »
My avatar sums up life.
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #2586 on: September 07, 2020, 09:42:04 pm »
+1
Thank you both so much! This really helps  :D

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #2587 on: September 08, 2020, 01:01:48 am »
+1
Now that there's only ~60 days until the English exam, I am starting to worry. Does anyone have any tips to prepare for the whole exam though I still have a comparative sac to do in a few weeks time. How do I be all round prepared for all 3 sections? I am really worried

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #2588 on: September 08, 2020, 06:08:48 pm »
+4
//

hi! it might be worth posting a new thread in the VCE English and EAL board with your questions. more people will be able to see your questions and respond, and that way, others can view the thread in the future and be able to learn from the advice as well.
i found this AN article that may help you as well
best of luck !! (:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 06:12:24 pm by blueycan »

MEH0010

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2589 on: September 09, 2020, 05:22:19 pm »
Hi.
I've just got a quick question.
For example, with this prompt: Compare how Tracks and Charlie's Country expose the limitations of isolation and the lack of human contact. Can i mostly disagree with the prompt and talk two paragraphs on the advantages and one paragraph on the limitations.
Thank you  :)

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #2590 on: September 09, 2020, 05:30:29 pm »
I don't think so? Maybe it could work if you split it 50-50, but I don't think doing it the way you're saying really answers the question. But you should get some more knowledgeable advice, I don't know.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Jm179

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2591 on: September 09, 2020, 09:35:07 pm »
Hi,
I am trying to write a text response essay about Medea(The Play) on the prompt 'Jason as the real Criminal' I was hoping someone could shed some light and give me some ideas that I could write for my body paragraphs.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!?

uwuuu

• Adventurer
« Reply #2592 on: September 12, 2020, 07:16:03 pm »
Does anyone have any exempliar essays of The Dressmaker/The Crucible? It would be very helpful to see a high level essay I can look up work towards :)

vchs

• Adventurer
« Reply #2593 on: September 13, 2020, 12:50:35 pm »
+1
Does anyone have quotes (themed-sorted if possible) for The Crucible and The Dressmaker?

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2594 on: September 13, 2020, 05:15:11 pm »
+3
In comparative are we comparing concepts or authorial intent? I’m confused?

What separates a good from a great comparative in terms of analysis not language used?
My avatar sums up life.