Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:25:58 am

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4767542 times)  Share 

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #720 on: July 06, 2012, 12:16:40 pm »
Hey guys, I'm aiming to go to UoM next year and and just wondering if you could help me out with something... I keep having people ask "why would you go there when you have to do an extra year just go to monash save money blah blah". So my question is, is it true that you have to do this 'extra year'?
I know you have to do breadth subjects but I can't really get my head around where this supposed extra year is coming from.
You wouldn't be doing an extra year, all bachelor degrees are 3 years at melb uni and i think the general degrees at monash are 3 years too. It will depend on what course you're looking at and if you need to do any post grad studies.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #721 on: July 06, 2012, 12:27:50 pm »
+4
Ask your friends if they'd rather spend an extra year being a lazy uni student or an extra year working 38 hour weeks at the office :D

Aurelian

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +79
  • School: Melbourne Grammar School
« Reply #722 on: July 06, 2012, 12:39:13 pm »
+2
Hey guys, I'm aiming to go to UoM next year and and just wondering if you could help me out with something... I keep having people ask "why would you go there when you have to do an extra year just go to monash save money blah blah". So my question is, is it true that you have to do this 'extra year'?
I know you have to do breadth subjects but I can't really get my head around where this supposed extra year is coming from.

People generally refer to an "extra year" within the context of things like Medicine, Law or Engineering, which are solely postgraduate courses under the Melbourne Model.

For example, at Melbourne a Bachelor of Science followed by the Juris Doctor (law) is 3 + 3 = 6 years.

The double degree of Science/Law at Monash though is a total of 5 years.

Personally I think it's pretty silly to let that have much of an influence on your decision... First of all, an extra year of study in the scheme of your career as a whole is pretty insignificant. Secondly, it's not as though an extra year of study is a blanket negative; I'd actually say it's a good thing, since, at the end of the day, you will have learned more than someone who did not study for that extra year...
VCE 2010-2011:
English | Philosophy | Latin | Chemistry | Physics | Methods | UMEP Philosophy
ATAR: 99.95

2012-2014: BSc (Chemistry/Philosophy) @ UniMelb

Currently taking students for summer chemistry and physics tutoring! PM for details.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #723 on: July 06, 2012, 01:04:17 pm »
if you get the chancellors scholarship at melbourne, do you actually get to meet the chancellor and talk about your pathways at the uni, or is it just a name? LMAO

Aurelian

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #724 on: July 06, 2012, 03:25:14 pm »
if you get the chancellors scholarship at melbourne, do you actually get to meet the chancellor and talk about your pathways at the uni, or is it just a name? LMAO

Um we have met the Chancellor, yes. The Chancellor is more of a figurehead, though, from what I understand and doesn't really have anything to do with student affairs.

The specifics of what sort of attention you get in the program seems to depend on the course. For the BSc, the Chancellor's Scholars have regular meetings with the Director of the Bachelor of Science and another course advisor. We discuss a variety of matters, such as course structuring, exchange, mentoring and research opportunities etc...

For, say, Commerce, however, they appear to combine the CSP with the Copland Scholars program. They have seminars like every couple of weeks. Not really sure what they do.

Biomedicine kids have all been given two mentors, but, again, I'm not sure of the specifics of what they do. They do get a locker in the med building or somewhere though, I believe.

Dunno about Arts or Music, and there aren't any Environments Chancellor's Scholars.
VCE 2010-2011:

Currently taking students for summer chemistry and physics tutoring! PM for details.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #725 on: July 06, 2012, 04:17:41 pm »
Biomedicine kids have all been given two mentors, but, again, I'm not sure of the specifics of what they do. They do get a locker in the med building or somewhere though, I believe.

Two mentors from a direction they're interested in. Most of them wanted MD mentors, some wanted honours/physio/dent etc. Meetings are for them to get a feel for what they need to do, how their future will look and that sort of thing. Personal communications are also pretty valuable. Some of them got to come by the MD student conference and have a meetup with us and chat about the MD etc.

And yeah...a locker...I've used mine once lol

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #726 on: July 06, 2012, 04:24:05 pm »
+1
Ask your friends if they'd rather spend an extra year being a lazy uni student or an extra year working 38 hour weeks at the office :D

Well another way of phrasing that is would they rather spend an extra year at uni or making money :P

Btw, for anyone who knows, is all this mentoring stuff actually helpful, or is it gimmicky and just stuff you can figure out yourself if you research/put in the time and effort crawling around on forums and the web?

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #727 on: July 06, 2012, 05:04:16 pm »
+3

Well another way of phrasing that is would they rather spend an extra year at uni or making money :P

Omg uni, pick uni any day.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

Aurelian

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #728 on: July 06, 2012, 09:45:21 pm »
Anyone have any idea about the possibility of doing Honours in an Arts based discipline if you did a Science degree, but had the equivalent of a major in that discipline via your breadth studies + year 12 UMEP studies? That is, the major wouldn't be "formally" recognised, but it would be identical in terms of content...

My guess is no, but I figured I'd ask if anyone knew specifically.
VCE 2010-2011:

tram

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #729 on: July 07, 2012, 02:24:22 am »
Anyone have any idea about the possibility of doing Honours in an Arts based discipline if you did a Science degree, but had the equivalent of a major in that discipline via your breadth studies + year 12 UMEP studies? That is, the major wouldn't be "formally" recognised, but it would be identical in terms of content...

My guess is no, but I figured I'd ask if anyone knew specifically.

Defs not, they don't even let you do two science majors haha

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #730 on: July 07, 2012, 08:15:00 am »
I think they might, Hons is based a lot on you networking and finding a supervisor willing to take you, so it could work

Aurelian

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #731 on: July 07, 2012, 04:20:35 pm »
Hmm interesting... I guess I'll have to investigate further by asking staff. Thanks guys =)
VCE 2010-2011:

VivaTequila

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #732 on: July 09, 2012, 10:32:56 pm »
Hmm interesting... I guess I'll have to investigate further by asking staff. Thanks guys =)

Let me know how that goes, that's really interesting... far out.

Aurelian

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #733 on: July 11, 2012, 12:39:59 pm »
Is it tomorrow morning that the extra class spaces open up for timetabling...? 10am?

EDIT: Nevermind, just checked the portal :P 10am though?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:46:28 pm by Aurelian »
VCE 2010-2011:

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #734 on: July 11, 2012, 12:57:54 pm »
Is it tomorrow morning that the extra class spaces open up for timetabling...? 10am?

EDIT: Nevermind, just checked the portal :P 10am though?

I believe so
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.