Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:43:40 pm

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4767248 times)  Share 

tram

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +22
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #420 on: February 16, 2012, 11:51:50 am »
During O-Week, seems Thursday and Friday are reserved for looking at clubs around Uni. Does that mean we don't have to go? Also I see that the Club expos are from 11-3. Surely we don't need 4 hours to see everything?

(yea i know stupid question but i wanna know lol)

You don't have to go, however something i would highly recommend going to is the CSC pub crawl which is on thursday. If you go on thursday, don't bother going on friday unless there is an event bring run that that that you're interested in going to, or unless you just wanna hang around with a few friends chilling at uni- they'll be stuff to do if you do rock up (read: more free stuff).

John President

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mostly Harmless
  • Respect: +45
  • School: Kids, stay in it.
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #421 on: February 16, 2012, 12:58:30 pm »
Science "Historical Tour of Local Establishments" >>> Commerce Pub Crawl. Not that I'm biased or anything.

And note the inverted commas, everyone.
The Finnish word pilkunnussija, which translates literally to “comma fucker,” is someone who risks his social wellbeing to annoyingly and persistently point out punctuation errors.

Completed VCE in 2010 - Now doing BSc at UoM

tram

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #422 on: February 16, 2012, 03:51:23 pm »
+1
Science "Historical Tour of Local Establishments" >>> Commerce Pub Crawl. Not that I'm biased or anything.

And note the inverted commas, everyone.

haha, all the "Historical Tour of Local Establishments" are good haha, i reckon just go with the faculty you're a part of cos funnily enough you'll meet more ppl doing your course

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
  • Respect: +105
  • School: Melbourne Dental School
« Reply #423 on: February 17, 2012, 08:43:30 pm »
i'm just wondering if you guys use separate notebooks for lectures and tutorials for the one subject???
:D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D                               

tram

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #424 on: February 18, 2012, 09:41:58 am »
personal preference but personally i wouldn't advise it, also most lectures have lecture slides you take notes on, rather than take note from scracth-again though, each to their own

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #425 on: February 18, 2012, 01:40:35 pm »
I never take notes on da slides, only for chem.

Edit: anyone doing RBP, do you have the Monday prac as even a possibility on your timetable?  It's still mentioned in the final 2012 schedule for this semester but the class is not there when I wish to register into it...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:44:35 pm by mavisgibbons »
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

Blakhitman

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #426 on: February 18, 2012, 05:28:12 pm »
when do summer semester results come out?

mankay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #427 on: February 18, 2012, 05:35:19 pm »
personal preference but personally i wouldn't advise it, also most lectures have lecture slides you take notes on, rather than take note from scracth-again though, each to their own

In sem 1, I ended up taking notes on the slides for chem and biol and that worked out nicely except I got tired of having to print all the lectures (I did it double sided to save paper which takes effort to do). I had an exercise book for the tutes which was okay.

I then tried writing my own notes in semester 2, but stopped doing that halfway through the semester as I always missed content with the fast lecturers and had to rewrite crap. For the tutes, I wrote on the LHS pages of my notes book, but that ended up messy.

I ended up with the same marks +/- 1% so you could probably do whatever you prefer.

Going to try a new system this semester that combines the best of both options.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 05:37:45 pm by mankay »

Aurelian

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +79
  • School: Melbourne Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #428 on: February 19, 2012, 10:14:26 am »
In sem 1, I ended up taking notes on the slides for chem and biol and that worked out nicely except I got tired of having to print all the lectures (I did it double sided to save paper which takes effort to do). I had an exercise book for the tutes which was okay.

Where did you store the printed lecture slides, out of curiosity? Just wondering, as I imagine it'd get really inconvenient to have heaps of loose-leaf sheets floating around...
VCE 2010-2011:
English | Philosophy | Latin | Chemistry | Physics | Methods | UMEP Philosophy
ATAR: 99.95

2012-2014: BSc (Chemistry/Philosophy) @ UniMelb

Currently taking students for summer chemistry and physics tutoring! PM for details.

mankay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #429 on: February 19, 2012, 10:31:55 am »
I had one of those 2-3 ring binder books and used a hole puncher to make holes in the printed slides. As you can imagine, this gets quite annoying in the end, which is probably why I stopped doing it in sem 2 :P

Alternatively, you could probably use plastic pockets instead of punching holes but then you lose the ability to easily read the slides.

Another issue is that half through the semester, you end up with 200+ pages (keeping in mind I was printing double side, 6 slides/page) making it heavy.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #430 on: February 19, 2012, 11:18:36 am »
I stacked them in my IKEA storage thing, you only need to take the most recent one to uni

Aurelian

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +79
  • School: Melbourne Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #431 on: February 19, 2012, 11:20:29 am »
I stacked them in my IKEA storage thing, you only need to take the most recent one to uni

Yeah okay. So like, print out the latest one, and only take that in for the lecture, while storing the others somewhere at home?
VCE 2010-2011:
English | Philosophy | Latin | Chemistry | Physics | Methods | UMEP Philosophy
ATAR: 99.95

2012-2014: BSc (Chemistry/Philosophy) @ UniMelb

Currently taking students for summer chemistry and physics tutoring! PM for details.

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
  • Respect: +105
  • School: Melbourne Dental School
« Reply #432 on: February 19, 2012, 01:09:18 pm »
whoa that's going to be a lot of printed stuff that i don't think you would barely give a second glance...
:D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D                               

mankay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #433 on: February 19, 2012, 02:01:21 pm »

Yeah okay. So like, print out the latest one, and only take that in for the lecture, while storing the others somewhere at home?
Although you may want to take more of them if you have the tute on, as they tend to cover the previous week's material.

izzykose

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #434 on: February 19, 2012, 02:21:22 pm »
Are there any pub crawl's, clubs or night events organised for o-week?
2011:

Psychology [45], Legal Studies [42], English [43], History Revolutions [34], International Studies [33 :(]

2011 ATAR- 93.80