Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:23:57 am

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4767442 times)  Share 

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2011, 12:46:29 am »
What!  Were you both going to that showcase thing today?  Am I in the loop?  I was going to go, but then I didn't go to uni.

At the risk of sounding really insensitive by posting this on a public board, I was reading through prac manuals for BIOL10005 and CHEM10004 and I have this feeling I can't get a practical exemption due to my father's unexpected passing away last night, I can only reschedule my prac classes.  Is this true?  Because it feels a little insensitive right now, and I'd like to thank Melbourne Uni for plunging yet another unnecessary dagger through my heart.  Guess I'll be at uni on Monday if that's the case.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

anti

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #196 on: October 08, 2011, 01:13:18 am »
+1
First years are cute in a naive way :D

Haha, that was one of the most awkward things I've ever been to, and I was completely outnumbered on the genetics front.   Everyone hates it!  :/

But thanks for helping me sort out subjects for next year.  POG + Microbes it is, along with probably GHS for breadth and I just have to find one more.  :)

Actually looking forward to next year now!!!

Haha, exact same as myself.  It's a pretty popular combination!  I'm doing Drugs that Shape Society as well, which while a bit dis-organised hasn't been too bad so far.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #197 on: October 08, 2011, 09:05:43 am »
At the risk of sounding really insensitive by posting this on a public board, I was reading through prac manuals for BIOL10005 and CHEM10004 and I have this feeling I can't get a practical exemption due to my father's unexpected passing away last night, I can only reschedule my prac classes.  Is this true?  Because it feels a little insensitive right now, and I'd like to thank Melbourne Uni for plunging yet another unnecessary dagger through my heart.  Guess I'll be at uni on Monday if that's the case.

I'm sorry to hear that :(
Worst case scenario though, I guess you can just skip the prac and if you explain the situation then that prac will be ignored for your marks.

What!  Were you both going to that showcase thing today?  Am I in the loop?  I was going to go, but then I didn't go to uni.

It was the biomed 1st years advice thing from older students. Stonecold wants to do genetics for some incomprehensible reason and I was one of the people advising about it.

Haha, that was one of the most awkward things I've ever been to

It's your own damn fault for not asking questions :P

stonecold

• Victorian
  • Respect: +255
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #198 on: October 08, 2011, 11:26:53 am »
So sorry to hear about that that mavis.  :(

A friend of mine had a death in the family around this same time last semester and I think in cases such as these the uni is much more accommodating.  It's best to talk to your coordinators.  They should more than understand your situation and give you an exemption + anything else you require.

@Russ.  You were obviously considering genetics at one point!!! :p
And nah seriously, I didn't really have any questions.  Just very happy to have it all cleared up.  :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:29:02 am by stonecold »
2011-13: BBiomed (Microbiology & Immunology Major) @ UniMelb

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39
ATAR: 99.85

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #199 on: October 08, 2011, 01:37:08 pm »
Okay good because my mother will be mega cut if I have to go back to uni for 10 hours in two days, I think I should be at home helping her.  I will ring the office(s) on Monday, I just wanted to know in advance since one prac is on Monday.

Hahaha Genetics.  So what advice did you give - no?  I still don't know what I'm going to major in ughh.

Edmund

• Dr. Ruler Snapper
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +95
« Reply #200 on: October 08, 2011, 02:08:08 pm »

Hahaha Genetics.  So what advice did you give - no?  I still don't know what I'm going to major in ughh.

Anatomy sounds like a good idea
2007-2008 VCE ATAR 90.15
2009-2011 BSc (Unimelb)
2012-2015 DDS (Unimelb)

Booksale: Drugs That Shape Society, Forests in a Global Context

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #201 on: October 08, 2011, 04:07:24 pm »

Anatomy sounds like a good idea

At the moment I'm tossing up between a long list of majors which includes Human Structure/Function, Physiology, Microbiology, Biochem, Pathology, Neurosci...

Basically I have no direct future prospects.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #202 on: October 08, 2011, 05:30:12 pm »
Microbiology and Immunology, duh. It's easily the best and most relevant to medicine, if you're still interested in that :)

I took PoG mostly because my mates took it and somewhat because I wanted to do the major lol

anti

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #203 on: October 08, 2011, 09:46:32 pm »
Microbiology and Immunology, duh. It's easily the best and most relevant to medicine, if you're still interested in that :)

I took PoG mostly because my mates took it and somewhat because I wanted to do the major lol

Hey Russ, do you think Microbiology and Immunology is better than Defence and Disease?  I can't decide between the two at the moment!

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #204 on: October 09, 2011, 09:28:24 am »
+1
Well yeah, I chose it after all. Depends on if you prefer pathology to microbiology, something you'll figure out next year (are you in 1st or 2nd?).
They're reasonably similar though, given they're based on the same fundamental immunology, which is what most people prefer

anti

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #205 on: October 09, 2011, 11:39:13 am »
+1
Well yeah, I chose it after all. Depends on if you prefer pathology to microbiology, something you'll figure out next year (are you in 1st or 2nd?).
They're reasonably similar though, given they're based on the same fundamental immunology, which is what most people prefer

Second year, I though pathology was alright but I think microbiology seems more straight-forward.  Yeah, I guess it's not a big deal because the two are ultimately quite similar.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #206 on: October 09, 2011, 12:25:00 pm »
+1
Micro goes from laidback to full on in 3rd year though :(
The microbiology in MCB is a pretty basic intro and even in microbes they don't force you to learn a lot of the horrible stuff

Massofbubbles

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Studying Biomed
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #207 on: October 23, 2011, 11:49:16 am »
hey, does anyone know what 'vision - how the eye sees the world' is like? thinking of doing it next semester.

schmalex

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #208 on: October 23, 2011, 12:26:04 pm »
+2
hey, does anyone know what 'vision - how the eye sees the world' is like? thinking of doing it next semester.

I have a friend who is doing it, and enjoys it, but doesn't really think it's that relevent to her course, since she's in Arts :P Sorry I don't have more to tell you about it. It sounds fairly easy.
2009- National Politics (43) Methods (38)
2010- Economics (50) English (44) Literature (38) Introductory Microeconomcis (86) Introductory Macroeconomics (75)
ATAR:98.95

Offering Economics tutoring
http://vce.atarnotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,35848.0.html

Massofbubbles

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Studying Biomed
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #209 on: October 23, 2011, 06:39:16 pm »
Cheers Schmalex.

Anyone know what time re-enrolment opens? Prob don't need to worry, but one of my subjects has a quota. 

edit: nvm, just read in another thread that quota is based on performance. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:38:44 pm by Massofbubbles »