Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:58:22 pm

Author Topic: The Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 746002 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: The Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #3540 on: September 02, 2019, 10:19:33 pm »
+5
Ugh I hate flying. It's one of my worst fears. I just can't trust human engineering that much lol
Like, don’t get me wrong - heights are one of my worst fears altogether. (I love not getting the window seat.) But how else am I gonna see Lou when trains take up too much valuable time

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #3541 on: September 04, 2019, 06:49:58 am »
+6
Things placement has taught me: I don't have enough jumpers that aren't hoodies
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #3542 on: September 04, 2019, 05:07:02 pm »
+4
hay fever's kicking in again

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #3543 on: September 04, 2019, 06:07:32 pm »
+1
I was wondering if that was the case for me today, I had watery eyes after walking through placement's courtyard 😅
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #3544 on: September 04, 2019, 06:14:43 pm »
+3
I started taking my antihistamines again a couple of weeks ago when my eyes started watering 😢 I do not like hay fever
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #3545 on: September 04, 2019, 10:30:41 pm »
+7
Like, don’t get me wrong - heights are one of my worst fears altogether. (I love not getting the window seat.)

When I flew to Christchurch earlier this year Jetstar put me in a window seat unprompted. The views were just slightly spectacular, though it may help that I don't worry too much about heights and usually like window seat.

Ugh I hate flying. It's one of my worst fears. I just can't trust human engineering that much lol

Though I'm skeptical of the way "passenger-miles" is used as a safety metric, I'd still suggest that flying is a lot safer than driving a car (which a large percentage of the population does routinely).  And of course the pilots and crew on a plane are much better trained than the average driver on the roads, and the planes probably get better maintenance too...
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3546 on: September 06, 2019, 08:16:57 pm »
+6
Just had my ticket inspected for the first time in a long time. I wonder how they decide which trains to inspect.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3547 on: September 06, 2019, 09:47:55 pm »
+5
When I flew to Christchurch earlier this year Jetstar put me in a window seat unprompted. The views were just slightly spectacular, though it may help that I don't worry too much about heights and usually like window seat.

Though I'm skeptical of the way "passenger-miles" is used as a safety metric, I'd still suggest that flying is a lot safer than driving a car (which a large percentage of the population does routinely).  And of course the pilots and crew on a plane are much better trained than the average driver on the roads, and the planes probably get better maintenance too...
I mean just looking at those photos makes my legs feel like wet noodles :( feels bad

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #3548 on: September 06, 2019, 10:35:04 pm »
+4
Just had my ticket inspected for the first time in a long time. I wonder how they decide which trains to inspect.

In my experience, inspections are much more common further out, particularly during peak-ish hours. I often get them between Bayswater and Ferntree Gully.  My conjecture is that it's too hard to inspect once the train gets too crowded, so they just don't bother.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3549 on: September 07, 2019, 02:26:28 pm »
+6
I don't know why I'm watching the gameplay of Man of Medan, a game about pirates and ghost ships, while booking my cruise trip :/
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3550 on: September 07, 2019, 07:23:43 pm »
+7
I mean just looking at those photos makes my legs feel like wet noodles :( feels bad
I feel you, Rui. Even though it's statistically safer to be in a plane than a car, at least in a car I'm not 40,000 feet off the ground. Being that high up does not sit well with me at all. Half of me is like "woah such a cool view" and the other half is like "too high, want to throw up"

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #3551 on: September 09, 2019, 06:59:12 pm »
+4
can i bullshit an essay about to kill a mockingbird or should i really read the novel? would the sparknotes be enough?

probably not, but ill tell myself that's all i need

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #3552 on: September 09, 2019, 07:20:47 pm »
+7
can i bullshit an essay about to kill a mockingbird or should i really read the novel? would the sparknotes be enough?

probably not, but ill tell myself that's all i need

Personally, I would not feel okay about doing an essay without reading the text, but I have known many people who do fine without reading them.  :P If you have a good teacher they probably would have covered a lot about it in class so you would probably know a lot from just that.
I remember in year 10 one of my friends was mad because her friend who hadn't read the book got a higher mark on the essay than her  ;D
Good luck!
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #3553 on: September 10, 2019, 06:35:05 am »
+2
Personally, I would not feel okay about doing an essay without reading the text, but I have known many people who do fine without reading them.  :P If you have a good teacher they probably would have covered a lot about it in class so you would probably know a lot from just that.
I remember in year 10 one of my friends was mad because her friend who hadn't read the book got a higher mark on the essay than her  ;D
Good luck!

yeah! i don't actually have to write it until thursday, and i only have 8 chapters to go so i might make it...

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #3554 on: September 10, 2019, 02:34:31 pm »
+4
Facebook has given me so many ads targeted at med students that I’m starting to think that I should be reconsidering my course.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra