Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:37:17 am

Author Topic: Mang0's VCE Journal  (Read 1083 times)

mang0

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10
Mang0's VCE Journal
« on: January 19, 2021, 12:04:04 pm »
+15
-
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 07:54:03 am by mang0 »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Mang0's VCE Journal
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 12:11:28 pm »
+4
Great to have you here, mang0 - welcome! Nice start to your journal. :)

What appeals to you about being a doctor?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Jinju-san

• Trailblazer
  • ‘The harder the conflict, the greater the triumph'
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 12:34:27 pm »
+6
Hey mang0!

I am also a fellow year 12 of yours and I’m really looking forward to reading your journal and seeing how you progress throughout the year!!!

I understand how you feel about your performance last year, and its totally okay to feel that way (last year wasn’t exactly ‘easy’ for everyone too because of covid and bushfires and a lot of other things).
I think its really great that your doing really well in (AND enjoying) English!! It is after all the first subject that vcaa/vtac will look at, and I have no doubt that you’ll be capable of doing really well in it!!!
Its really great to set high goals for yourself because it gives you a good amount of room to improve. And even if you don’t start out year 12 as good as you’d like, always try to remember that this year is a marathon, not a race… If your able to bust out those 90s in your assessments by the end of the year, then I’d call that a big win!!

With regards to your aspirations of becoming a doctor, I had a small bit of friendly advice given to me by my big sister about it(who is currently doing med)… She was telling me the other day that when she sat her job interviews for a hospital she had applied to work at, one of the questions she got asked (and was really stumped by) was, ‘Who are you outside of medicine?’
I think that while its really great to know what you want to be in the future, you should also consider the kinds of skills and aptitudes you could bring to your profession, whilst also considering what you want to take from it… for some people, they want to develop connections with their patients by helping them in their moments of need. Whilst for others, they need a job with high salaries because (unfortunately) they live in a very financially unstable household…

Maybe I’ve gone a wee bit too philosophical here, but that’s just something I’ve been thinking about lately and I thought it may be of some help to you as well!

Looking forward to your journal this year!!!
Best of luck!!!
 :)

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 12:35:52 pm »
+7
Hi Mang0,
Looks like an awesome journal - and officially, welcome to the forums!
I did very similar subjects to you last year (except spec instead of psych) so if you ever have any questions feel free to PM. Good job sticking french out! I also found it quite a hard subject in year 11 (and definitely had moments where I was tempted to drop it) but I end up continuing it. After putting in a lot more work in year 12 I definitely gained a new appreciation for the language and its uses. Overall, it ended up being the subject I learnt the most in and will probably find most useful in the future. It certainly wasn't my best subject but I'm so so glad that I continued with it and I hope a similar thing happens for you.
All the best for year 12 this year, do you have any hobbies or interests apart from school?
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

mang0

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 02:17:34 pm »
+6
Great to have you here, mang0 - welcome! Nice start to your journal. :)

What appeals to you about being a doctor?
Hi Joseph41!  Honestly, I've always been interested since I was really young.  Just being able to see the impact of doctors on improving someone's condition really motivates me. I also just find it amazing how doctors really have the ability to help a patient live. Sometimes (in really extreme situations), they're the ones who are the difference between the life or death of a patient (which is actually scary, but again, just amazing!) I just love to think that, at the end of the day, no matter how tiring or bad your day has been, a doctor would be able to at least be satisfied with the fact that during the day they would’ve directly improved or helped someone else’s life.

Hey mang0!

I am also a fellow year 12 of yours and I’m really looking forward to reading your journal and seeing how you progress throughout the year!!!

I understand how you feel about your performance last year, and its totally okay to feel that way (last year wasn’t exactly ‘easy’ for everyone too because of covid and bushfires and a lot of other things).
I think its really great that your doing really well in (AND enjoying) English!! It is after all the first subject that vcaa/vtac will look at, and I have no doubt that you’ll be capable of doing really well in it!!!
Its really great to set high goals for yourself because it gives you a good amount of room to improve. And even if you don’t start out year 12 as good as you’d like, always try to remember that this year is a marathon, not a race… If your able to bust out those 90s in your assessments by the end of the year, then I’d call that a big win!!

With regards to your aspirations of becoming a doctor, I had a small bit of friendly advice given to me by my big sister about it(who is currently doing med)… She was telling me the other day that when she sat her job interviews for a hospital she had applied to work at, one of the questions she got asked (and was really stumped by) was, ‘Who are you outside of medicine?’
I think that while its really great to know what you want to be in the future, you should also consider the kinds of skills and aptitudes you could bring to your profession, whilst also considering what you want to take from it… for some people, they want to develop connections with their patients by helping them in their moments of need. Whilst for others, they need a job with high salaries because (unfortunately) they live in a very financially unstable household…

Maybe I’ve gone a wee bit too philosophical here, but that’s just something I’ve been thinking about lately and I thought it may be of some help to you as well!

Looking forward to your journal this year!!!
Best of luck!!!
 :)

Hi Jinju-san :) Nice to meet a fellow year 12! Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate it, and I have no doubt that it will help me. You weren't too philosophical at all! Thanks for the advice and best of luck to you too for Year 12 :D
Hi Mang0,
Looks like an awesome journal - and officially, welcome to the forums!
I did very similar subjects to you last year (except spec instead of psych) so if you ever have any questions feel free to PM. Good job sticking french out! I also found it quite a hard subject in year 11 (and definitely had moments where I was tempted to drop it) but I end up continuing it. After putting in a lot more work in year 12 I definitely gained a new appreciation for the language and its uses. Overall, it ended up being the subject I learnt the most in and will probably find most useful in the future. It certainly wasn't my best subject but I'm so so glad that I continued with it and I hope a similar thing happens for you.
All the best for year 12 this year, do you have any hobbies or interests apart from school?
Hi Chocolatemilkshake! I've been an avid reader of your VCE journal all throughout last year, and I'd firstly like to congratulate you on getting into medicine, and not only that, but Medicine at Monash! Congrats!  ;D I know from reading your journal that you had worked so hard to get to your goal, so well done!  All the best for this year! Some things I like doing in my spare time include playing the guitar (although I'm not that good at it haha), playing basketball and reading.  I also like watching Netflix or anime in my spare time, and I really enjoy watching cricket.

wingdings2791

• Trendsetter
  • I'm going back to the start
  • Respect: +108
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 08:41:17 pm »
+6
Hi Mang0! Glad to see another journal here. I'm a fellow '21 and also quite new to the forums so it's really nice to see someone in a similar position.  :)

I understand not being really happy with you results and it's okay to feel that way. Doing a 3/4 subject (or two!) for the first time is certainly not easy and last year's chaos didn't exactly help. You did an amazing job taking on two of the most content-heavy, stressful subjects. You've still got this year to smash it out and do your best (which I'm sure you will!)

Your subject choices look great! I think it's really good that you've decided to stick with French; VCE languages are a bit of torment at times but it's definitely worth it, plus you gain another skill for yourself! I did French too in year 9 and was frankly a bit hopeless at it haha! No doubt you're more than capable of coming out strong. It's so good that you're excelling in English too! Absolute asset for VCE and as someone with very modest English abilities, I really admire that it comes easily to you and it's wonderful that you enjoy and find a bit of relief in it.

I completely agree with what you said about aiming high. Setting goals high definitely gives you that extra bit of drive and makes achieving them all the more satisfying. Why wouldn't you put in the work for a 50 or a 99.95, because anything less isn't your best! I'm in a similar situation to you and have got pretty similar goals; I definitely understand feeling a bit like you're just dreaming, but I've got a strong feeling your aspirations are very much doable :)

Anyways, all the best for this year!! Very much looking forward to your future entires :)
ATAR: 99.75
UCAT: 95th

2022-2025: B. Radiography and Medical Imaging (Honours) @ Monash

mang0

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 10:47:51 am »
+5
Hi Mang0! Glad to see another journal here. I'm a fellow '21 and also quite new to the forums so it's really nice to see someone in a similar position.  :)

I understand not being really happy with you results and it's okay to feel that way. Doing a 3/4 subject (or two!) for the first time is certainly not easy and last year's chaos didn't exactly help. You did an amazing job taking on two of the most content-heavy, stressful subjects. You've still got this year to smash it out and do your best (which I'm sure you will!)

Your subject choices look great! I think it's really good that you've decided to stick with French; VCE languages are a bit of torment at times but it's definitely worth it, plus you gain another skill for yourself! I did French too in year 9 and was frankly a bit hopeless at it haha! No doubt you're more than capable of coming out strong. It's so good that you're excelling in English too! Absolute asset for VCE and as someone with very modest English abilities, I really admire that it comes easily to you and it's wonderful that you enjoy and find a bit of relief in it.

I completely agree with what you said about aiming high. Setting goals high definitely gives you that extra bit of drive and makes achieving them all the more satisfying. Why wouldn't you put in the work for a 50 or a 99.95, because anything less isn't your best! I'm in a similar situation to you and have got pretty similar goals; I definitely understand feeling a bit like you're just dreaming, but I've got a strong feeling your aspirations are very much doable :)

Anyways, all the best for this year!! Very much looking forward to your future entires :)

Hey Wingdings! Nice to meet you! Congrats on your awesome scores in Chinese SL, Bio and Music! 8) I totally admire how you managed to do those 3 subjects in Year 10 and Year 11 and still do amazing! Yeah, I'm happy that I sticked with French, but now I just hope I begin to enjoy it haha. I'm also super excited to follow your VCE journal!! Best of luck for this year :D

cmati

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 09:53:29 am »
+5
Welcome Mang0 :)
I graduated in 2020 but always love to read VCE journals!
You remind me a bit of myself, I wasn't doing the best in my Year 11 studies either, but its definitely possible to get your grades up. I went from 60s-70s to 80s-mid 90s!

You can do anything you put your mind to Mang0! I'm very excited to follow your journey. Feel free to PM me at any stage with any questions that I may be able to help with :)