Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:08:38 pm

Author Topic: General Makeup/Skincare Discussion Thread  (Read 84601 times)  Share 

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: General Makeup/Skincare Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2019, 05:04:39 pm »
+4
So I just came back from retail therapy and holy smokes it was stressful to shop there because it was so crowded! (Side note: this is more like a mini haul considering how I've already bought a lot of makeup lmao).

Nude By Nature Essential Collection
After a month of wanting to buy this collection (and missing out the Chemist Warehouse sale ;-;) I finally bought the Essential Collection! It was also the last one there so I'm feel lucky lol. All of the brushes feel very soft and I like how each brush is labelled (for brush noobs like me). I've tried all of them except for the lip brush, eyeliner brush and the blending brush.

Starting with the concealer brush, I was a bit confused on how to use it because I was so used to using a beauty sponge. I think I just need to get used to not applying as much concealer since the brush doesn't absorb as much product. It felt a bit weird because I'm used to using a damp sponge so using it dry was a bit of an experience (was I even supposed to wet it lmao). Apart from my confusion, it did apply my concealer nicely and I'm surprised I don't see any streaks of concealer on my face.

The powder brush was nice and soft to use. I will say the brush is a lot smaller than my Elf Flawless Face Brush, so I guess it could also be used for a blush brush as well, but I think I'll just stick to using it for my pressed powder. The kabuki brush was a bit confusing since I thought the powder brush should be enough for my pressed powder but I guess I have another brush for some loose/pressed powder? I decided to use it as my blush brush. Even though it's small, it still does its job of applying blush to my cheeks. Then we have the eyeshadow brush. On the box it says to use it to put an eyeshadow base all over the lid but I'm using it as my highlighter brush.

And then we have the makeup bag itself. I was surprised to see those elastic brush holders in the bag- I thought it was just gonna be like a pencil case type bag. I'm also impressed that I can fit my face products in there. At the moment, it's carrying two pressed powders (I'll get to this in the next section lol), concealer, blush and highlighter. It also fits in my bag so now I can actually do my makeup on the train rather than rushing in the morning lol.

L'oreal Wake Up and Glow Melon Dollar Baby Blush
Before buying this, I was constantly tossing over Melon Dollar Baby and Life's A Peach. I saw a lot of good reviews of Life's A Peach and how they say it gives a warm glow (kinda like a blush + bronzer shade) and it's a buildable colour. But when I swatched it today, it looked a bit more of an orange colour. This was the first blush I've bought so I thought Melon Dollar Baby felt like the right shade for me. In the summer my cheeks can get naturally flushed so Melon Dollar Baby felt like the nice shade to wear, especially during the winter. One thing I'd like to point out is that because Life's A Peach had a mirror in it, I thought that Melon Dollar Baby would have a mirror as well. But when I got home, there was no mirror. I spent 30 minutes trying to pry it open there's no mirror. I was so excited because I'm desperate for a compact mirror which is why I'm carrying two pressed powders at the moment because one of them has a mirror in it (yes I'm that desperate).

Apart from the packaging issue, I do love the colour. It's light but it makes it easy for me to build it up. I can build up the colour during the winter and when it's summer, I can lightly apply it so my face doesn't look too pink. Plus, it smells like watermelon so that's a bonus. And once again, there was only one Melon Dollar Baby blush when I was there so lucky me!

Also, since when did Priceline sell Physician's Formula?! When I was waiting in line to pay, there was the discounted products near the cash registers and I stumbled across the Physician's Formula Butter Blush (although it doesn't look like a matte blush so I didn't get it).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:52:03 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2019, 08:52:28 pm »
+2
Has anyone used the Mario Badescu face sprays? What did you guys think? I have the setting spray and really love it, but I was wondering if it would be worth investing in either of the others?

I've tried the Rosewater one and I personally don't like it. I don't find it hydrating at all surprisingly. I heard if you wanted to get a setting spray, probs best to invest in a product that's actually a setting spray rather than getting a face spray. But then again that is the opinion of a few, so you can always try the $10!! I've heard other people do like the product.

Starting with the concealer brush, I was a but confused on how to use it because I was so used to using a beauty sponge. I think I just need to get used to not applying as much concealer since the brush doesn't absorb as much product. It felt a bit weird because I'm used to using a damp sponge so using it dry was a bit of an experience (was I even supposed to wet it lmao). Apart from my confusion, it did apply my concealer nicely and I'm surprised I don't see any streaks of concealer on my face.

So so weird, I have this same experience too with their concealer brush!!!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2019, 10:40:15 pm »
+1
Sorry to bump an old thread, just wondering if anyone can explain facial moisturiser to me. Should I be using one? Why does it feel like I break out whenever I do? How do I pick a good one?

Slapping oil on my pores seems counterintuitive to me.... but heaps of people seem to make it work well.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2019, 11:43:34 pm »
Sorry to bump an old thread, just wondering if anyone can explain facial moisturiser to me. Should I be using one? Why does it feel like I break out whenever I do? How do I pick a good one?

Slapping oil on my pores seems counterintuitive to me.... but heaps of people seem to make it work well.
I used to break out a lot as well a few months ago but what I've found is if I reduced my daily sugar intake, everything suddenly went away. Unless it's something to do with hormones or an issue you can't control, it's always better to check your diet and lifestyle and what not before putting artificial products on your skin imo. =)

iirc oily skin can also cause pimples? idk I'm no expert on this field but it seems counter-intuitive to me too.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2019, 12:50:39 pm »
+3

Just use a lighter moisturiser :) Simple make a good one for cheap, and I also like Sukin (particularly because they're a natural skincare brand, cruelty free etc and I have super sensitive skin and they don't make me break out)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2019, 01:00:33 pm »
+2

Hey! Depends on your skin type. Do you have normal, oily, dry, combination, etc?

The oil free moisturiser from Neutrogena is pretty swell! Leaves your face super moisturised whilst not being oily!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2019, 06:34:35 am »
+1
Hey! Depends on your skin type. Do you have normal, oily, dry, combination, etc?

The oil free moisturiser from Neutrogena is pretty swell! Leaves your face super moisturised whilst not being oily!
Thanks bea! I have no idea what skin type I have. I'd say it's probably somewhere between normal and oily. The Neutrogena one looks great; I'll have to check it out!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2019, 03:44:22 pm »
As for my go to brands, I love Etude House, The Face Shop and Innisfree. -snip- Although Innisfree is difficult to find in Australia, they recently set up an Australian-based Instagram account, but I'm not sure what they're planning here.
Sorry to bring up something a year old, but what are your updated thoughts on Innisfree face products? I'm about to sample a few of their products, but I wanted to hear someone else's thoughts first. I tend to have normal to dry skin, but my sibling (who I'll be sharing products with to cut on expenses, as I dislike putting many face products on my face and... uh, I honestly forget most of the time) is a bit more on the drier side.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2019, 06:23:58 pm »
+5
Sorry to bring up something a year old, but what are your updated thoughts on Innisfree face products? I'm about to sample a few of their products, but I wanted to hear someone else's thoughts first. I tend to have normal to dry skin, but my sibling (who I'll be sharing products with to cut on expenses, as I dislike putting many face products on my face and... uh, I honestly forget most of the time) is a bit more on the drier side.
Hey there,

Keep in mind that I’ve only used Innisfree sheet masks so my experiences are quite limited.

For context, I have normal to dry skin as well and I’ve never really had any skin issues (with the exception of a pimple here and there). Personally I think the best way to start getting into skin care or even trying out a new product is sheet masks because you don’t need to worry about starting a full-on skin care routine (they do recommend using a toner before using a sheet mask but I’ve never really bothered with using toners lol). I’d recommend using tea tree, green tea and aloe vera sheet masks - these are great for hydration. I’d avoid using flower-based products because these products have alcohol in them for the fragrance and alcohol can be harsh on your skin.

I also don’t like putting too many products on my face so I would suggest a sheet mask once a week so you’re not overwhelming your skin.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2020, 06:28:54 pm »
+5
Hey guys,

It’s been so long since I’ve written a review. I’ve actually been being makeup in the background (as you do), I just keep forgetting t write a review on all the products I’ve bought rip :/ Here’s a random assortment of reviews I have (apologies if I’ve doubled-up on reviews. I can’t remember what I’ve reviewed and what I haven’t whoops).

Revlon Kiss Cloud Blotted Lip Colour
This was an impulsive purchase at Chemist Warehouse. The purpose of this product is to be a lip tint, kinda like Etude House’s lip tints, except it’s a lot more mousse-y than their water tints. It’s easier to apply than the Etude House lip tints, but it does smell kinda weird, almost like an oily smell. It also tends to be a little bit drying and the product likes to gather up in the lines on my lips. Didn’t use it much so I don’t really have much to say about it.

Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Lipsticks
I remember buying the lipstick in the shade “Be My Baby” last year after eyeing it for about a year. I really loved it when I first bought it; it’s very light and mousse-y and it was easy to use, especially for beginner liquid lipstick users. However, the more I wore it, the more I realised it highlighted the cracks in my lips. It also started to fade and transfer on cups (not like a regular lipstick). There is also inconsistency with the formulas. I bought another shade towards the end of last year (shade: Pink Blink) and this formula was a bit more difficult to apply on my lips. It didn’t have the same mousse-y texture and it would end up applying inconsistently on my lips, along with the same issues of transferring and cracking. However, I liked the shade “Pink Blink” more than “Be My Baby” since it had more of a pink to it, but I liked the formula of “Be My Baby.” Funnily enough, when I was going through my makeup (since I haven’t been cleaning it up rip), the texture is a little bit more runny and the smell is a bit stronger than I remember. When I swatched in on my hand, it didn’t dry as fast as it used to. The smell was like a mix of oil and really expensive perfume (not in a good way lol). It did not look good so I threw out “Be My Baby” - not sure if I’m gonna throw out “Pink Blink” yet since I haven’t had it as long as “Be My Baby.”

Australis Fresh & Flawless Pressed Powder
One of my biggest complaints when using the RImmel pressed powder was its packaging. It wasn’t in a compact for so it was difficult to do my makeup on the train. This is why I like the Australis one a lot more. Plus, it does a great job of setting my concealer. I don’t have much to complain about since it does the job. I will point out that when I use a makeup brush, it can have a lot of fall out if you swirl the product (big noob move for me lol). It’s better to gently tap the surface of the powder with your brush instead of swirling.

3CE Velvet Lip Tint
This was another impulsive purchase off Yesstyle. In fact, my friends and I were doing a group haul and my friend wanted to get free shipping so I bought a lipstick lol. 3CE is a notoriously expensive Korean beauty product (I’ve heard my friends compare it to Mac). While I’d love to buy their eyeshadows, it wasn’t on discount ;-; I bought the shade Twin Rose, which was their darkest lip shade (a lot of them were pinks and oranges). I really like the lip tint. It’s almost has the same texture as the Revlon Kiss Cloud Lip Tint but it doesn’t have a strong smell and it fades into a nice colour. It also doesn’t gather in the cracks of my lips. When you first apply it, it’s very sheer, but that’s the beauty of it since it’s very buildable. It does transfer though, so keep that in mind.

Maybelline SuperStay Liquid Lipsticks
I bought one of these lipsticks two years ago in the shade “Poet.” I wasn’t a huge fan of it because of how sticky it is and how it took so long to dry. I bought the shade “Founder” last year during a Priceline sale after much deliberation because I wasn’t a huge fan of it. BUT I actually like it a lot more now. The best way to apply a Maybelline SuperStay lipstick is to remove excess product off the applicator and onto the side of the bottle since the lipstick is very thick. Maybe it’s because I was a big noob back in the day but now I realise how important it is to remove excess product. It actually dries a lot faster and it’s easy to apply on the lips. I do have to apply a bit more product towards the waterline of my lips (or using the wise words of Safiya Nygaard, the butthole of the lips lol). It is still sticky, but not as bad as before. It does still hurt a bit to take off the lipstick using a usual Garnier Micellar Water (pink bottle) but it’s a lot easier to take off with an oil-based cleanser. I liked it so much I bought two more shades: “Self-Starter” and “Artist”. Fun fact: “Founder” was my first bold lip colour. I’ve been buying a lot of mid-tone nudes for over a year but “Founder” has a really nice colour to wear anywhere. It does stay for long periods of time, unless you’re eating something oily, that’s when the lipstick wears down. This is why it’s important to use an oil-based makeup remover so it’s easier to remove the lipstick.

ColourPop Luxe Lipstick
I bought this lipstick in a ColourPop group haul with my friends and bought the shade “Hello Stranger.” I remember seeing Judy say that this was one of her top ten ColourPop lipsticks, and I was really inspired to buy more bold lip colours after that Maybelline lipstick. This lipstick is really nice; it smells nice, it applies smoothly, it doesn’t dry and the colour is great. In fact, the colour looks a bit similar to “Founder”, which I didn’t realise but I don’t mind in case I don’t feel like wearing a liquid lipstick. It does transfer but I’m not too fussed about it. I carry it in my makeup bag all the time and I like wearing it on a regular day.

Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water in Oil (blue bottle)
I remember Emily George recommending me the Garnier 2 in 1 cleanser (purple bottle) two years ago as one of her favourite makeup removers. However, for some reason, I can never find it at Chemist Warehouse, Priceline or Big W, which is strange. This is why I moved to the blue bottle, and I’ve been enjoying it. It smells like my hyaluronic acid sheet masks, which is weird because when I read the ingredients list, it doesn’t contain hyaluronic acid. It also doesn’t leave an oily residue on my face and removes liquid lipsticks and waterproof makeup easily.

Rimmel 60 Seconds Nail Polish
After binge-watching a crap-tonne of Simply Nailogical videos, I suddenly got into painting my nails. I bought the Rimmel 5 in 1 Top and Base Coat to go with the three nail polish shades I bought: “Sea in the Dark”, “Summer Sips” and “Xposed.” I’ve been wearing “Xposed” a lot these days because it’s a pretty pale pink colour that looks muted enough on my nails. “Summer Sips” is also a fun muted magenta colour and “Sea in the Dark” is when I feel vampy enough to wear a dark colour. I bought “Sea in the Dark” first and it’s already starting to get a bit dry so it’s been difficult to apply on my nails. Because it’s regular nail polish, it does chip and dent easily but I’m not complaining that much. The large applicator size for the 60 Seconds Nail Polish was quite surprising because I was expecting it to be as thin as the 5 in 1 base and top coat. Initially, it was very difficult to apply it on my nails because of how wide the applicator was and kept going on my skin. I’ve started to get the hang of applying nail polish but I still get it on my skin. Also, it takes a lot longer than 60 seconds for the nail polish to dry. In fact, I wait like 5 minutes for it to completely dry before applying another coat because I’m paranoid (though you can apply another coat after 2-3 minutes but it is still a bit tacky).

Australis Glitz Palette
When I first saw the Glitz Palette, I immediately thought of Tati Beauty Textured Neutrals Volume 1 palette. The shadows are organised by mattes, shimmers and glitters, along with a concealer for your base. I’ll admit I’m not the best person to review eye shadow because I’m still trying to figure out how to use it lmao but it does apply nicely and blend nicely, especially the more orange, brown and pink shades. I will say the shadows have a bit of fall out, which I’m not fussed out, but the green shade as a crap-tonne of fall out and has started contaminating my other shadows. The green shade is also quite sheer. The shimmers are also really pretty, and they are best applied using your finger. As for the glitters, I don’t use it much because glitters are ridiculously messy lmao.

Morphe Matte Liquid Lipstick
This was more of my mum impulsively buying a liquid lipstick because she really wants to get into liquid lipsticks but also wants a lipstick to be comfortable to wear (which is very hard to find). The formula is quite similar to the Rimmel lipstick, in the sense that it’s very mousse-y and light, except it doesn’t have that weird expensive perfume smell. In fact, it leans closer to a light cake batter smell. It doesn’t transfer as much as a regular lipstick but it does leave a bit of residue on cup. It also highlights the lines in your lips as well, again, kinda like the RImmel lipstick. I will say it does apply nicer than the Rimmel lipstick since it’s easier to apply across the lips. I haven’t done a proper wear-test of the product so I can’t say if it lasts as long as the Maybelline lipstick.

This review turned out to be longer than expected lmao. Even though I’ve bought a bit of makeup, I’ve started throwing out some of my makeup (and by makeup, I mean lipsticks lmao). This also means that I have room to buy more makeup rip.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2020, 05:12:04 pm »
+7
Sorry this is long! Here are my reviews on some drugstore brands :)

The Ordinary Natural Moisturising Factors + HA
One of the nicest moisturisers I have ever ever ever worn, I have combination skin so I generally don't wear moisturizer as it makes by chin and forehead even more oily, which we don't love. This moisturiser absorbs into your skin so quickly and it doesn't leave a greasy feeling like most. I break out pretty easily but this is awesome.

The Ordinary Squalene Cleanser
Not sure how my skin is liking it, but its making my skin super soft. Its basically a cream that turns to an oil in your hands and then you use it like any facial cleanser and wash it off. I find it pretty weird that its so different to any cleanser I've used and I am breaking out a little more but I'm unsure if its from hormones, bad eating, or the product itself. I'm yet to determine wether its from hormones or wether my skin is reacting or purging.

Sappo Hill Bamboo Charcoal Soap
This shit is amazing. like it does make your skin feel squeaky clean which i don't like but it does feel like it clears up pimples, I need to buy some more from iHerb to see if my skin goes back to normal once I start using it again.

Australis Fake It! Waterproof Mascara
One of the best vegan and cruelty-free waterproof mascaras I've found. It does clump a fair but I think its pretty good for the price and how insanely waterproof it is (i should know, I work in a pool).

Australis Chocolate Bronzer - Ganache Gold
I'm not huge on contour, mainly because I don't enjoy caking my face. While I initially hated the shade as a contour due to it looking kinda 'muddy' on the skin (if you're going for a "I'm a tradie and I'm dirty" look this is perfect), I've come to love it. If I was to buy again however I wouldn't not buy the Ganache Gold shade. Its a nice transition between contour and blush, and i like layering blush and this bronzer to create a light, pretty contour. It is actually a pretty good dupe for TooFaced Chocolate Bronzer so if you're looking for something cheap this is it.

Australis Strawberries and Dreams Blush - Berry Jelly
I am in LOVE.  This blush is gorgeous, and I'm glad I got this shade (its the darkest one). I love very natural pretty looks, and this blush is gorgeous to do a light contour with or without a bronzer or contour.

Australis She's Precise Liquid Eyeliner
It lasts all day and needs the extra lil srub to get off. Only downside - not waterproof...however its waterproof enough for like day to day stuff just obvs don't go swimming or something. The tip is a brush tip but is very marker like compared to others, but it created really nice fine lines.

Australis Metal and Matte Eyeshadow Palette
I LOVE this palette so much! The lightest metallic shade is the most beautiful and ngl its the perfect highlight especially if you're going for a dewy soft look. or like the perfect inner corner highlight. Obvs if you give it a spritz with some setting spray it is sooooo bright. All of the mattes are really pigmented and the chocolatey and burgundy hues make it super easy to go from a cute basic day look to a night look.
Image of Palette

Australis Metalix Cream Eyeshadow
I bought this ages ago and I'm not sure which shades I purchased. One is silver and the other is an coral/peach colour. I use the silver to highlight the inner corner of my eyes and the peach i used to use just for a cute very minimal lid shimmer. I am obsessed like its gorgeous! and I use the silver shade every day. The formula is very nice as its not too creamy or too dry, it sits really nicely however if you use a lot on your lids, it will settle into the crease a little but its super easy to fix up as it never completely drys (hence why its to be used on top of a matte)

Covergirl Microfine brow pencil
This is awesome! like it lasts and you don't need to put much pressure to get a line (ahem, australis could learn a thing about micro pencils). It lasts really well and its SO CHEAP! I think I picked it up for $6.

Australis Liquid Lips
This is the worst liquid lipstick I have ever used. It stayed REALLY sticky all day, like so sticky it smudged and came off on EVERYTHING.

Australis GRLBOSS Glitz Lip Gloss
Lip gloss is high matinence but this is GORGEOUS! I can't remember whether I bought the Smooth Talker Shade and it's so pretty - do yourself a favour and go try it its one of the best lip glosses I've found.

Australis Illuminating Strobe Power - Radience
A pretty shitty highlighter tbh... Its too yellow and it doesnt show up well unless you smear it and it looks super shit. I don't know if its just me but I'd rather use one of their eyeshadows for highlight than this.

Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Stick Matte - Hot Chocolate
Loved the colour, but its a pretty drying lipstick. Even with perfectly hydrated lips it drys them out and settles into the lines and reapplying doesn't help...even if you apply pawpaw or Vaseline beforehand :/   
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:17:47 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

itsemmaaa

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2021, 02:03:56 pm »
does anyone know anything about hyperpigmented lips?
is there anyway to remove darkened lips or reduce it?

ty  ;D