Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:45:40 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 604214 times)  Share 

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1095 on: October 13, 2013, 10:31:14 pm »
I only speak for Engage Legal Studies though. Engage LS = bad questions and the solutions are not well-written (although you can't really complain - they're free!)

Yeah, if you are going to spend money on trial exams (or your school) I would get QAT or Neap.

Murphy, I am SHOCKED you wouldn't say CPAP :P
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

M_BONG

« Reply #1096 on: October 13, 2013, 10:39:59 pm »
Murphy, I am SHOCKED you wouldn't say CPAP :P
haha never seen/got access to a CPAP exam; but I am sure it would be great since it was written by you. :)

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1097 on: October 14, 2013, 09:34:46 am »
haha never seen/got access to a CPAP exam; but I am sure it would be great since it was written by you. :)

Yeah, I don't know if they're available only to schools or to students, too, though... But, of course, I'm marking one right now actually, and I see what I wrote and see all the things I don't like!! It's always the way.

The NEAP one is pretty good this year, too, actually.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
  • Respect: +73
  • School: SHGC
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #1098 on: October 14, 2013, 10:50:20 am »
Hi all,
How do we structure 'compare' questions?
2014: BA @ Monash University
2015: LLB(Hons)/BA @ Monash University

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1099 on: October 16, 2013, 09:37:09 am »
Hi all,
How do we structure 'compare' questions?

You need at least one sim and at least one diff, but the balance is up to you.

It's possibly easier to start with the sims, because they come out faster. But it doesn't really matter. I personally make sure I mention both things (courts and parliament, adversary and inquis, etc) in the first sentence, in order to make the comparison I am making crystal clear. Two separate sentences/definitions with a "whereas" (or similar) at the start of the second one often doesn't cut it. Then I perhaps take a sentence or two to explain detail, depending.

For example:

"Both the adversary system and the inquisitorial system utilise an independent judicial officer who is impartial to all parties involved and does not take sides or bring in preconceptions or bias. The adversary judge plays a much more passive role in the conduct of trial than the inquisitorial judge does, however. For instance, the adversary judge..... while the inquisitorial trial judge..." etc.
Good luck!

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #1100 on: October 16, 2013, 08:20:07 pm »
I just asked my teacher the same question and is it possible to structure it this way?:

One similarity is that...

A difference is...

And how many do we need for a 4 marker?

AbominableMowman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #1101 on: October 17, 2013, 09:17:58 pm »
Hi everyone
I've been stuck on this one question for a really long time, and it seems that every time i do an exam or any practice questions this question comes up...
Jenny wishes to take a civil action against a work colleague for $180 000  for personal damages. She has the choice of having her case heard in either the County or the Supreme Court.
Justify why Jenny would opt to have the matter heard in the County Court of Victoria.

This question has personally always stumped me as I cannot tell the difference in terms of civil cases between the county and the supreme court (because don't they both have an unlimited jurisdiction?)

Thanks in advance
2014 - VCE

2015 - 2017

AbominableMowman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #1102 on: October 17, 2013, 11:07:54 pm »
Yes, both County and Supreme Crts have unlimited jurisdiction (following changes in legislation)
However, this question is answerable. Generally, the Supreme Crt hears the more serious or more complex civil claims (because it is higher up the hierachy and is also a superior court of record). Since the amount of Jenny's claim is (relatively) small ($180,000) the County Court will hear it.

*I am not 100% about this, but I think before legislation was passed to change the jurisdiction of courts, the Supreme Court USED TO have original civil jurisdiction of more than $200,000 (ie. they did not have 'unlimited jurisdiction')  Therefore, I suspect this question was written before 2009 (old study design) and Jenny's claim of $180,000 would be heard in the County Crt only (before jurisdiction changed). (Megan, please confirm).
but the thing is question asks why jenny would OPT to have her matter heard there, which suggests that she has an option. I don't see why she would opt to have her matter heard there besides the fact that it would save time (maybe?) ..
2014 - VCE

2015 - 2017

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1103 on: October 18, 2013, 10:36:39 am »
*I am not 100% about this, but I think before legislation was passed to change the jurisdiction of courts, the Supreme Court USED TO have original civil jurisdiction of more than $200,000 (ie. they did not have 'unlimited jurisdiction')  Therefore, I suspect this question was written before 2009 (old study design) and Jenny's claim of $180,000 would be heard in the County Crt only (before jurisdiction changed). (Megan, please confirm).

I'm definitely not an authority on this and I *could* go check the past legislative amendments (but I won't!), but... I'm pretty sure it's just a misconception borne of the fact that the County Court used to have a limit of $200,000 and many people think the higher court's jurisdiction *starts* where the lower one's stops. Not true. Unlimited means unlimited, because sometimes you will get complicated cases where nominal damages have been sought.
Good luck!

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1104 on: October 18, 2013, 10:38:58 am »
but the thing is question asks why jenny would OPT to have her matter heard there, which suggests that she has an option. I don't see why she would opt to have her matter heard there besides the fact that it would save time (maybe?) ..

If more than one court has the jurisdiction to hear your claim you get to choose where to file it. You would never go higher than you *needed* to, though, because of the huge costs and extra time. And would the SC refer a matter down to the CC if you filed there but they didn't consider the law or evidence complex enough to justify going to it...? Not sure. I think probably.
Good luck!

tcstudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1105 on: October 18, 2013, 05:21:24 pm »
Hi guys, i have completed all of the vcaa exams, all the exams from engage, all from my teacher  which were COMPAK vcta ones and i think im totalling around 15 now, i was just wondering if possible can someone email me or link me some exams in regards to legal studies, if i dont find more exams to complete im scared im going to forgot some of the content.

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #1106 on: October 18, 2013, 10:33:35 pm »
Hi guys, i have completed all of the vcaa exams, all the exams from engage, all from my teacher  which were COMPAK vcta ones and i think im totalling around 15 now, i was just wondering if possible can someone email me or link me some exams in regards to legal studies, if i dont find more exams to complete im scared im going to forgot some of the content.

I don't have any exams but have you thought about repeating questions that you've had trouble with? Completing exams don't necessarily mean that you've learnt to apply the content. I suggest to do all the questions in your textbook and redo the ones from your practise SACs.

tcstudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1107 on: October 18, 2013, 10:43:37 pm »
Cheers mate, i will ensure i do that as protection of rights is really one that gets me haha, thanks again.

M_BONG

« Reply #1108 on: October 21, 2013, 05:22:47 pm »
Does the task word "Discuss" imply that it is compulsory for us to talk about strengths and weaknesses?

One question on my SAC was "discuss one recent change to the legal system to increase Fair and unbiased hearings. "
I talked about an amendment in 2008 to the 2000 juries act where jurors could be fined for making extra inquiries. But my teacher said I had to talk about strengths and weaknesses of the change.

But..even after getting the SAC back I am still struggling to find weaknesses of the change. Help please? Or is it not compulsory to talk about strengths and weaknesses when discussing?

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #1109 on: October 21, 2013, 05:26:55 pm »
Yeah can someone please clarify what discuss means? I've heard that it means to look at both sides (i.e. strengths and weaknesses) but also that it merely means to explain.. So can someone please confirm?
Thanks!
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)