Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:41:52 pm

Author Topic: evaporade's demonstration of applicability of sig figs  (Read 5752 times)  Share 

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
Re: evaporade's demonstration of applicability of sig figs
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 12:20:46 am »
Thread split from original thread (off topic/revival).

On a different note:

This forum is not only about getting help for some questions. One can express ideas through questions.

Though you do demonstrate a good point and you are valid in your statements, I really can't agree you are expressing ideas through questions. If you were doing that, you would elaborate when an wrong answer has been given. But of course, it was the usual style of "To know why, you need to understand the meaning and use of significant figures. "

If you would like somewhere to play others around technicalities to feel good about yourself, please find somewhere else. Otherwise, I would recommend you adopt a different style that is less condescending.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:22:51 am by Mao »
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

evaporade

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 08:44:15 am »
This just show how shallow some of you are. Throughout the history of religion, mathematics and science, questions been asked, discussed, argued, and people persecuted and executed.

In this case, as you said "you do demonstrate a good point and you are valid in your statements". What about if I was wrong, do you think I can "feel good about yourself"? The questions were to lead to the situation where the prevalent ideas fall apart.

"feel good about yourself": This is a common phenomenon on this forum.

'Once again you always do when working with measured quantities. To know why, you need to understand the meaning and use of significant figures.' This may be condescending to certain people who think highly of themselves.

So what is good coming out of this? Some of the readers know a bit more about sig. fig. and use them correctly.

This is not about 'technicalities'. It was not technically wrong to say the natural number 17 has 2 sig. fig., it is simply wrong.

Glad to leave a place with lots of bigots. Good bye and have it your way.

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 11:09:58 am »
Ahh, hasn't this all happened before?

Thread locked.
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015