Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 04:44:34 pm

Author Topic: The Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 744259 times)  Share 

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
Re: The Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #3705 on: January 29, 2021, 03:21:13 pm »
+4
why does the feeling of being tired but not tired at the same time exist
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3706 on: January 29, 2021, 03:31:58 pm »
+2
I love how 99% of the time 'how did x person comment this on social media' is explained just by looking at said commenters profile picture.
Always absolutely zero self-awareness

Rose34

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3707 on: February 19, 2021, 10:23:24 pm »
+2
When students from high school know what they want to do in the future, why not go to study for that job straightaway? For example, if you want to become a doctor/nurse, then why not go and start studying about medicine?  And for those who want to become architects then why not go and study all about it (math, sketching etc)? 

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3708 on: February 19, 2021, 11:14:21 pm »
+6
When students from high school know what they want to do in the future, why not go to study for that job straightaway? For example, if you want to become a doctor/nurse, then why not go and start studying about medicine?  And for those who want to become architects then why not go and study all about it (math, sketching etc)? 
imo School should be about a lot more than just studying and a pipeline for a job (although it might seem that way currently)

Also you would be disadvantaged in a uni course without a decent foundation that you would obtain in highschool by studying a broad range of subjects.

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #3709 on: February 20, 2021, 02:40:43 am »
+2

My first reaction is just "What's stopping you?"  Some high schoolers do study more about the body and other medicine related topics in their spare time.  Some spend a lot of time sketching and read about architecture.  I did programming in my spare time in high school and ended up a software developer.  And that pre-existing experience and knowledge helped immensely when I actually got to Uni and studied it formally - I do believe I got a better education because I cared about it and because I was prepared to get the best out of it.

But I think what you are asking for is not a hobby as an extra, but removing some other parts of the existing formal education and replacing them.  I think that's more of a problem.  Take me: I'm a fairly straight maths-science student.  I hold a software engineering degree, and work with co-workers who almost view bad spelling (not a software dev strong point) as a badge of honour.  If I could have done less humanities and more math/science or software I probably would have.  And yet I'm pretty sure I've referenced the humanities part of my Year 12 more recently than I've referenced the maths or the physics.

Those are just random factoids, but there's a bigger picture.  As Sine says, life is about more than just what you are qualified for and what you work in.  But so too is the workplace.  One important thing frequently talked about is "soft skills".  You can be technically brilliant and still not achieve much if you need to work with others and can't.  Also, different people have different areas of knowledge, different things they know and don't know, and make connections between different areas of knowledge, both in work and in life.  An overly narrow speciality doesn't help with that.

I'd suggest reading this: Dr. Fauci Has a Classics Degree!

Finally, people take time to mature, and people change.  Some people have a dream career from relatively early on and stick to it (I'm actually one of them).  Others find that it's not what they expected, or that they develop new interests, or that they really need to do something very different.  That will be harder to navigate if they have committed to that path earlier and have fewer other options.

My parents encouraged me to focus on getting a vocational qualification as quickly as I could.  I (mostly) enjoyed university and had a full-time professional job in an area I loved before I was 21.  There are a lot of advantages to that, but looking back I can see that I was technically skilled but still had a lot to learn, and may have been better with a little less laser focus on qualification and a little more life experience.  Pretty sure if I'd somehow been able to accelerate it to full-time job by, say, 18 I would have thought it good for me - but actually it wouldn't have been.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #3710 on: March 01, 2021, 10:19:39 pm »
+5
how is it already march
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #3711 on: March 01, 2021, 10:58:23 pm »
+7
The word welcome baffles me.

The definition is an instance or manner of greeting someone. So you would always say "welcome to ...." or "Welcome, welcome come on in" etc.

I get stumped with it's use in you're welcome..... It doesn't make sense. How are you using a greeting word to reciprocate after getting a thanks from someone? It comes across like "you're invited" but it's no problem/ no worries/ happy too, it's weird.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3712 on: March 02, 2021, 08:32:55 am »
+6
how is it already march

feels like we should just be starting March 2020 amirite

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3713 on: March 02, 2021, 06:10:00 pm »
+4
The word welcome baffles me.

The definition is an instance or manner of greeting someone. So you would always say "welcome to ...." or "Welcome, welcome come on in" etc.

I get stumped with it's use in you're welcome..... It doesn't make sense. How are you using a greeting word to reciprocate after getting a thanks from someone? It comes across like "you're invited" but it's no problem/ no worries/ happy too, it's weird.

To be welcomed is to be invited, yes in the sense of "welcome, come on in" but also in terms of "you are welcome to ___" ("You are invited to ___"). From that I'm guessing it goes:

"thank you"
"you're welcome (to receive/ask for this)"

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #3714 on: March 02, 2021, 09:11:47 pm »
+5
feels like we should just be starting March 2020 amirite
... March 2016? I'm a few years off and permanently stuck on a Tuesday.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #3715 on: March 03, 2021, 01:05:41 am »
+5
Maybe we should just accept that time marches on? :P
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #3716 on: March 03, 2021, 07:43:06 pm »
+3
Maybe we should just accept that time marches on? :P

Nice ;)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #3717 on: March 07, 2021, 09:35:03 pm »
+7
Pop music sounds better from 9pm to 2am
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #3718 on: March 08, 2021, 08:24:07 am »
+5
Pop music sounds better from 9pm to 2am

I'd contend that its value ceases entirely at 11pm, by which point we should all be tucked up and asleep
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #3719 on: March 08, 2021, 09:49:37 am »
+2
Deakin has the best one person study booths. Change my mind.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.