Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:01:48 pm

Author Topic: The Depresso Expresso (fun_jirachi's HSC Journey)  (Read 30894 times)

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
Re: The Depresso Expresso (fun_jirachi's HSC Journey)
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2019, 09:54:55 pm »
+5
Yesterday was the last tennis weekend of the season, and consequently the last of my high school career. Really put in everything those two games; I played with one of my first doubles partners and came out with a W, but even though I lost my singles I put in more hustle than I've ever done before. I couldn't shake off my tiredness for a while, and I heard my opponent exhale 'no way' as I got to a ball he thought I'd never get to. Running for every ball and fighting for every point no matter what made me feel like regardless of the result, the six years of training rain, hail or shine were worth it.

But at the end of all this, this is one of the first journeys coming to a close this year. It made me realise that high school is more than just study and the HSC, and I came away and will come away with lots of new friends and experiences. Six seasons of tennis and six seasons of the pain of wet weather fitness ended yesterday, and it was pretty sad. I want to finish the year, and at the same time I don't. It's moments like these that make me actually like school and wish my journey would never end. Now, I go into the last football season of high school; my fifth. After looking back on tennis, I really want to put more effort into this; I looked back on those six seasons and felt I could've done more.

Studywise, everything is going okay! Exams in two weeks, but I'm not stressing out too much, everything is under control. Probably need to take more care of myself sleepwise and mentalitywise because at this rate I will definitiely burn out around May-June.

Hope everyone else is feeling great! :D

Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

fun_jirachi

• HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2019, 10:04:34 pm »
+5
It's been two weeks, and exams are looming. English is tomorrow morning, and MX1 is on next Monday, Chemistry on next Tuesday, Physics Depth Study Exam on Wednesday. But most worryingly, MX2 and Physics back to back on Friday. And my physics teacher (who is writing the exam) has indicated he's going to make it harder than any other physics exam we've had to date, and to be fair, that would be pretty brutal.

I'm nervous most for English, but afterwards, it's not terrible; I'm 1000x more confident with STEM than I ever will be with English. After assessment 1, I am afraid of choking given I've done it before, and doing so again will screw me up for the rest of the year, but up until now, I've followed my plans for studying (mostly ;) ) and done all the work, so I guess all I can do is just go in and do it, and do my best. Hopefully all goes well and I actually read the question and don't do anything stupid.

Still need to take better care of myself though (not doing the best at the moment), hopefully I can get through all this and get to a happier time where it's easier to do that :)

Hope everyone else is having a great start to the month! :D
Spoiler
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]

Guide Links:
Asking good questions

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2019, 10:12:05 pm »
+2
Best of luck for the tasks mate! Look after yourself

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2019, 09:09:49 am »
+2
Good Luck for your upcoming assessments!
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

fun_jirachi

• HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2019, 09:58:38 pm »
+5
Good Luck for your upcoming assessments!
Best of luck for the tasks mate! Look after yourself

Luck must've really come through because these exams didn't really feel like exams (they went oddly fast, and difficulty was a bit meh), so thanks a lot guys!

On a subject by subject basis:
English: We had to study three questions given a week prior to the task, one of which would be given in the exam. I prepped for all three, because I was paranoid if I missed one I'd fail entirely (that's a show of my confidence in English). They happened to pick the one that objectively would discriminate between students the least, so I'm not too sure how that's going to go for me. It's all RNG from here, seems like a pretty crappy dice roll :(
4U: I got all but one question out + one or two silly mistakes (still kicking myself, easy marks) , and judging by everyone's reaction after the exam, I've done not spectacularly but enough to keep myself afloat rankings wise. Considering I have a pretty solid cohort, this bodes well :)
Physics: I feel like Physics is the one subject where you can do a question instantly, but always second-guess your answer (does that look right? a bit big? a bit small?). This exam came basically an hour after 4U finished so I was pretty tired, but I was also doing that self-questioning the whole exam. Did not help, but I did all the questions, and it was a relatively hard exam, hope I did them right :)
3U: I think this was the exam I was happiest with. With only one silly mistake (which I am also kicking myself for, it's literally because I can't read), I could potentially get really close to 95%. Given also that I flunked ranks wise in the first assessment (even with a 59/65), this was a big confidence booster, this could go well :)
Chemistry: A ton of weird curveballs, and I started to randomly BS a few of the curveball questions. And for what is perhaps the more mathsy half of the syllabus, I wasn't expecting so many wordy questions, and so little calculations. Definitely got thrown off a bit, but should still do relatively okay :|
Physics Depth Study: The first few questions were an absolute breeze (unless I did something stupid), but the last question was super conflicting. Basically everyone got different answers, it's all so weird :)

But overall, it's probably one of the better exam periods I've had; felt reasonably comfortable doing the exams, and studying wasn't exactly the long hard slog I thought it would be (except prepping each English question in depth). This is going to step up a bit though, but for now I can study and chill for the next twenty days until next term :)

Today I did get a nice cooldown after exams, went to a friends place and just unwound, then went into the city to eat and watch Captain Marvel. It was a pretty damn good movie, and overall a damned good day. A good way to end the term, stress has been released :)

Hope everyone else has had a great week so far :)
Spoiler

Guide Links:
Asking good questions

fun_jirachi

• HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2019, 10:12:51 pm »
+4
First post-holiday post :) (i also realise i used post twice in the space of four words :( )

Holidays were a good time to kick back mostly, since I likely won't be doing the same thing guilt free for another 6 months. Still studied a bit though :) Nice enjoyable holiday, couldn't really ask for anything more, zero regrets :) Also watched endgame, stunning movie (but no spoilers because i'm nice :) )

Looking back at my exam predictions, I've done more than keep myself afloat for 4U, and predicted perfectly for 3U with that one stupid mistake where instead of finding the area, I took the whole integral :(

4U: I got all but one question out + one or two silly mistakes (still kicking myself, easy marks) , and judging by everyone's reaction after the exam, I've done not spectacularly but enough to keep myself afloat rankings wise. Considering I have a pretty solid cohort, this bodes well :)
3U: I think this was the exam I was happiest with. With only one silly mistake (which I am also kicking myself for, it's literally because I can't read), I could potentially get really close to 95%. Given also that I flunked ranks wise in the first assessment (even with a 59/65), this was a big confidence booster, this could go well :)

would've gotten full marks I got that, but I didn't. I count myself lucky I got half a pity mark though :). Potentially those are marks enough to land me in the top 10 for 4U, and top 20 for 3U given my rank 50 in the first exam
4U: 56.5/61 -> 92.6%
3U: 53.5/55 -> 97.3%

Haven't gotten anything else back, but I don't really want to; from what the teachers have said, the marks are all comparatively low, so that's me terrified. More to follow as I get more stuff back :)

Hope everyone's had a fruitful April :D
Spoiler

Guide Links:
Asking good questions

fun_jirachi

• HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2019, 01:25:46 pm »
+6
Update:

Turns out I flunked physics pretty hard. Stupid mistakes in the Depth Study exam (V E C T O R S  A R E  N O T  S C A L A R  Q U A N T I T I E S) (basically i got vectored because I forgot direction on a ton of stuff) and I had all the working but made a calculator error :(

Spoiler
Except I got vectored in direction only :(

And I must've lost a lot of common sense and brainpower after 4U, because judging from physics I was way more fatigued than I thought. Rank is so damn screwed. Chemistry, I would've liked to have done better, but I'm still afloat unlike for physics, which I'm so far barely above average in. Chem is good enough and something to build on as the year progresses but physics brings back deja vu from the first assessment in modern history where I lost a whole heap of motivation. I'm really starting to worry now and the post-maths high is seriously fading. Really have to start knuckling down and stop procrastinating :(  With English to come on Monday I'm genuinely worried for a load of my ranks in a highly competitive school so um yeah. I'm very sad.

On another note, the HSC timetable came out on Wednesday. It's not kind (I have a bit too much time, and I have my last exam on Nov 11 (frustratingly, physics is uncharacteristically last)) but it could be worse. Just to give a reference point of how much time I have, from the 18th of October to the 4th of November, which is English Paper 2 and Maths Ext 1, is 17 days. In between is only one exam, Maths Extension 2. But my friends have birthdays and three exams in two days and some have some combination of both in their HSC period so I can't complain.

More to come soon! :) Hope everyone's had a great week
Spoiler

Guide Links:
Asking good questions

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2019, 04:35:05 pm »
+4
Remember that ranks aren't as important if your cohort is strong fun_jirachi! 'Competitive' schools are a good thing, it means you push each other, and a non-ideal rank doesn't matter if the class is performing really well! ;D

fun_jirachi

• HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2019, 08:23:11 pm »
+5
Another update:
Predicted my English mark perfectly; a 16/20. It's not great but it's not terrible either, and I've been hanging around there for a while. I'm looking forward more to the next task which is a creative but it gives you a hell of a lot more creative freedom than previous years in terms of text types; so for once I might actually enjoy English :)

Also turns out I didn't flunk Physics as hard as I thought. I messed up the MC and the Depth Study, but in the longer responses I made a few mistakes, but comparatively nailed it compared to the majority of the year. Ended up marginally outside the Band 6 range based on the previous year's results, but since our cohort is better than last year, I'm still hopeful for a pretty good mark. And there's still trials to resuscitate my rank.

Best of all was probably my single digit ranks for 3U (not expecting) and 4U. The challenge here is to not make this one result a purple patch and instead keep it up for the rest of the year. If I do, there's a stunningly good E4 waiting for me. If not, I'll be dreadfully disappointed given how well I've done at this point in the year for maths. Against what is probably one of the best cohorts in the state in maths, there's loads of work to be done though, but it's doable. Just have to not choke too hard and make my exams count.

And today was a really damn good day. Pure elation throughout the whole day :D If anyone supports football bloody hell the last 48 hours have seen some absolutely stunning totally unscripted football, and about 13 hours ago I was screaming like an idiot when Spurs beat Ajax with a last minute winner. Really happy as a Spurs fan and I totally forgot the hellish first half of the week. Was watching and rewatching the highlights reel and it gets better and better every time, still completely euphoric :D

Hope everyone's enjoying their week :)
Spoiler

Guide Links:
Asking good questions

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2019, 04:59:54 pm »
+1
Another update:
Predicted my English mark perfectly; a 16/20. It's not great but it's not terrible either, and I've been hanging around there for a while. I'm looking forward more to the next task which is a creative but it gives you a hell of a lot more creative freedom than previous years in terms of text types; so for once I might actually enjoy English :)

Popped back onto your journal after a bit and it's still really interesting! Great job on your English mark! Yes I love creative a million times more than anything else! You can basically write whatever you want and it can't ever be 'wrong', just have fun with it! And Physics too! Congrats on all your amazing achievements! Lol I don't know much about hsc but all the best for whatever's coming up next, make sure to rest and chill out too, and take good care of yourself. Excited to hear about how the week goes.

fun_jirachi

• HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2019, 09:26:03 pm »
+2
Popped back onto your journal after a bit and it's still really interesting! Great job on your English mark! Yes I love creative a million times more than anything else! You can basically write whatever you want and it can't ever be 'wrong', just have fun with it! And Physics too! Congrats on all your amazing achievements! Lol I don't know much about hsc but all the best for whatever's coming up next, make sure to rest and chill out too, and take good care of yourself. Excited to hear about how the week goes.

Thanks for this! Just a few replies to this:
- I actually don't know whether to be happy or sad or whatever about English; I've been average for years :)
- With Physics, was definitely expecting a bottom half result, but did better than expected. It's not great, but I can still revive it :)
- Might have slightly failed to chill out, because I'm pretty close to exploding :(

Got my report last Tuesday, just wasn't really bothered to update the journal :( It's pretty good, and I think it's my second best result overall, the best since Year 10 Yearlies. Just have to keep pushing with this and I'll get the results I want :) Not going to share the estimated ATAR just in case it's horribly off, but it's always going to be in the back somewhere as a benchmark to beat.

Ranks :)
English - 54/210
3U - 4/168
4U - 6/123
Chemistry - 31/117
Physics - 44/126

Physics and English and to a lesser extent Chem aren't quite there yet, but it's definitely something to work on :) So far it hasn't been a good week, but we'll see if that changes over the rest of the week :) Nothing really happening until Week 8, where I have a few more exams, so posts might dry up a bit.

Hope everyone's having a good start to the week :)
Spoiler

Guide Links:
Asking good questions

fun_jirachi

• HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2019, 05:47:55 pm »
+4
Just realised I haven't posted in about a month, so here's a quick one to make myself feel like I haven't missed anything with posting :)

It's exam season yet again (a Year 11 friend of mine kindly put it as 'every time I turn around again you guys are doing exams again'). 4U is Monday, 3U on Thursday, sandwiching Chemistry. It's a pretty short exam period, and it's definitely not as stressful as half-yearlies, as the content hasn't actually started to get as difficult as I thought yet.

On another note, trials seem terrifying. We have a three-week exam period, but I'm doing all mine in the first two weeks. The upside is I get a whole week to screw around afterwards before graduation (also with the HSC timetable, I have ages to prepare and in between exams so I don't mind kicking back for that week and indulging myself), but the downside is that I have 6 exams in 2 weeks, and 3 in three days. It's not terrible but it's not what I'd like either.

Will update sometime next week with how everything goes :)
Spoiler

Guide Links:
Asking good questions

fun_jirachi

• HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2019, 07:43:40 pm »
+2
Will update sometime next week with how everything goes :)
Well shit. My bad :)

It's now the holidays and it's really starting to hit home; there's less than a term left of high school, ever. About three months from now it's all over. Honestly, it's been a blur and now I realise how valuable high school is and all the opportunities I've watched fly away and missed. But aaaanyway sentimentality is totally unnecessary right now because ahead of me is a holiday I won't even enjoy properly, UCAT and Trial HSC. Really going to have to start grinding hard (even though that's also what I told myself last holidays, the holidays before that and the holidays before THAT (don't need to mention I failed at those though))

Exam results: not quite as good as last time, but to be fair the 3U exam was total BS because out of 54, half my class got 53 or higher, with a median of 52.75. So basically getting nearly full marks like I did last time suddenly doesn't make you good, it makes you totally mediocre. I also got 20/20 on the last section of the 4U exam, only to find out I screwed up simple arithmetic in the first section, so I lost marks I should definitely not be losing so um yeah my rank is going to drop a bit :(. And as for English, they changed their definition of a discursive five times in the space of two weeks, and the marker apparently had a different view completely (judging from the feedback sheet) and doled out 15/20's like you sprinkle grains of salt in your cooking. around 60% of the grade got 15s, and basically 90% of people who did better wrote a creative imaginative piece, so everyone's wondering if by choosing a newer text type we got screwed entirely. Seems biased

Content: finally starting to get juicy and confusing, which is totally cool and I love it. Forces me to actually work to understand things and ask questions which I have never done before.

Hope everyone at school has had a good term :) Finish strong :D

Spoiler

Guide Links:
Asking good questions

fun_jirachi

• HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2019, 11:31:12 pm »
+3
To be honest, in recent times I've kinda forgotten about this journal doing all the other stuff (usually just study :P and procrastination) so uh my bad.

So just a few updates this time:
- Recently finished up a holiday where sure, I studied a bit but mostly wasted it again, despite me swearing I wouldn't do that at the very start of the holiday
- Trials are in a few weeks and I'm slightly but not really screwed; I'm still reasonably relaxed about everything
- Did UCAT today and got 740/890/880/800/562 so that was pretty damn cool

Might add some more to this unless I forget. Just kidding... unless?

Hope everyone has had a great July!! :D
Spoiler

Guide Links:
Asking good questions

fun_jirachi

• HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2019, 09:31:42 pm »
+4
But at the end of all this, this is one of the first journeys coming to a close this year.

Well, after Saturday, yet another journey comes to a close. I won't be playing high school football anymore.

I really put everything in. We lost 4-2, but jockeying every guy, trash-talking on set pieces, cheering for your mates when a skill move or a dribble came off, and trying to deck at least three people made me feel like the game would never end until inevitably it did. The banter was hilarious that game, but as we went up in cheers for the other team, shook hands, said good game, it was pretty sad. People say life flashes before your eyes when you die, and I felt that but not really when I walked off the pitch. The goals we scored, the goals we saved, all the last-ditch tackles and bookings, the banter and on-field arguments with the ref. Nuts.

But perhaps more dauntingly I won't be playing high school sport anymore. It's just a long black tunnel of study until November 11th when the HSC is over. Trials start on Wednesday, in two days. I finish the following Friday. It's nice to think that this time in 11 days it'll all be over for the most part considering my HSC timetable is pretty tame, but the truth is a month after I finish Trials I graduate. Then it's the end of another journey. Then what next?

Good luck for Trials y'all (what's left of it for some of you and what's to come for everyone else), you'll smash em :)
Spoiler

Guide Links:
Asking good questions