Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 11:53:28 pm

Author Topic: Raw marks  (Read 8135 times)

Nialllovespie

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Raw marks
« on: January 06, 2017, 02:06:43 pm »
Hiya

So the whole ATAR concept is sorta clearish in my head but some parts of it are a little mushed and I was wondering if someone could please explain a few things.
-what's a raw mark? (Hence what is an unweighted raw mark, and an unweighted raw mark, aligned exam mark?)
-is the raw mark external or internal?

I'm so confused by this whole raw mark thing and people asking if they should put their raw mark or aligned mark into ATAR calculators and all!!

Thank you!!

Rathin

• Trendsetter
  • Arthur Phillip High School
  • Respect: +9
Re: Raw marks
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 02:31:32 pm »
Raw Mark is your External, as the name suggests RAW exam mark. This is then aligned to your Exam HSC mark depending on the difficulty thought out by the judging panel for each subject. For example a ~83 raw in Physics will get a band 6 but for 4u It would be around 70 raw which is based on the difficulty and what the judging panel for the subject is a band 6 mark or a band 5 mark. HOWEVER NOTE THAT THIS IS JUST FOR THE HSC and that for the ATAR they take your raw marks and have a much sophisticated way of scaling by how you perform and how the subject cohort performs as compared to English as a controlled subject. This is much better as it mathematically used data to scale while for hsc exam mark when they align its just what they 'presume' to be a certain mark.
2017 HSC
4u | 3u | Physics | Biology | Adv Eng | PDHPE

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 03:08:12 pm »
+1
Hiya

So the whole ATAR concept is sorta clearish in my head but some parts of it are a little mushed and I was wondering if someone could please explain a few things.
-what's a raw mark? (Hence what is an unweighted raw mark, and an unweighted raw mark, aligned exam mark?)
-is the raw mark external or internal?

I'm so confused by this whole raw mark thing and people asking if they should put their raw mark or aligned mark into ATAR calculators and all!!

Thank you!!

Check out this article written by Jamon! Should answer all of your questions :)
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 04:07:21 pm »
And if you have any more feel free to shoot them here and I'll do my best to clarify! ;D

Nialllovespie

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 10:27:58 pm »
+1
Thank you so much!! This helps heaps