Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:29:52 am

Author Topic: ATAR CALCULATORS  (Read 10766 times)

kevinboy328

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: North Sydney
  • School Grad Year: 2016
ATAR CALCULATORS
« on: October 31, 2016, 06:04:00 pm »
I know that they aren't the most accurate but still, would you insert your raw or alligned HSC mark into the matrix/profiency atar calculators?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: ATAR CALCULATORS
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 06:28:44 pm »
I know that they aren't the most accurate but still, would you insert your raw or alligned HSC mark into the matrix/profiency atar calculators?

ATAR Calculators work from aligned marks, so you'd have to estimate your aligned mark and pop that in for the best picture :)

jarin_

• Adventurer
  • School: mfis
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 09:22:19 pm »

ATAR Calculators work from aligned marks, so you'd have to estimate your aligned mark and pop that in for the best picture :)

Are aligned marks like scaled marks?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 10:30:46 pm »
Are aligned marks like scaled marks?

Scaling happens with aligned marks as well, but it's normally a term that's just used everywhere! By aligned marks I mean the marks after Band cut-offs, option alignment, school assessment mark moderation, etc etc, the mark on your HSC itself! :) (scaling happens AFTER that) :)

jarin_

• Adventurer
  • School: mfis
ATAR CALCULATORS
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 11:29:45 pm »
Scaling happens with aligned marks as well, but it's normally a term that's just used everywhere! By aligned marks I mean the marks after Band cut-offs, option alignment, school assessment mark moderation, etc etc, the mark on your HSC itself! :) (scaling happens AFTER that) :)

ohh ok
do you know what the difference is between the scaled mark and the atar equivalent (from talent100's atar calculator)?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:34:40 pm by jarin_ »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 11:41:23 pm »
ohh ok
do you know what the difference is between the scaled mark and the atar equivalent (from talent100's atar calculator)?

Scaled mark is the mark that comes out of the scaling algorithms (your HSC marks go in, scaled marks come out). Most of them scale down because that's just the way the algorithm works. My understanding of the ATAR equivalent is that it is just an approximation of your ATAR at a subject-by-subject level. It doesn't have grounding in the actual process of determining your ATAR. I think Talent 100 is just going, if you got this mark, we'd expect this mark to be attained by a student having an ATAR XX.XX. Or it could be some kind of average, I'm not sure :)

hermansia12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 11:51:28 pm »
Yeah the calculation for ATAR is a pretty obscure process so I wouldn't focus on scaling too much, just know that it happens. ATAR calculators gives a good generalisation on your potential ATAR but when you use them, don't take a "this is my atar" attitude. There is a potential for it to round higher or lower than the ATAR you get so it can mess with you emotionally so be prepared for that if you are going to use it :) 
Economics: 91
English Advanced: 90
Studies of Religion 1: 46
Mathematics Extension 1: 88
Mathematics Extension 2: 73

ATAR: 96.05

Currently studying: Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) (Hons)/Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 12:30:37 am »
Yeah the calculation for ATAR is a pretty obscure process so I wouldn't focus on scaling too much, just know that it happens. ATAR calculators gives a good generalisation on your potential ATAR but when you use them, don't take a "this is my atar" attitude. There is a potential for it to round higher or lower than the ATAR you get so it can mess with you emotionally so be prepared for that if you are going to use it :)

Definitely agree with this! My ATAR was underestimated by about a point, which was pretty accurate to be fair, but others got ones many points higher or lower than estimated. Take these with a grain of salt ;)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 06:01:27 am »
In a nutshell, the ONLY time you should be touching the ATAR calculator is the day of HSC results release. Only THOSE marks have undergone alignment.

And even then you still risk inaccuracy. But that's the only time where this inaccuracy has been minimised. Because not even extensive analysis with the raw marks database is sufficient as that's historical data.

All the technicalities have been established above.

hermansia12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 08:14:52 am »
In a nutshell, the ONLY time you should be touching the ATAR calculator is the day of HSC results release. Only THOSE marks have undergone alignment.

Definitely agree with this!
Economics: 91
English Advanced: 90
Studies of Religion 1: 46
Mathematics Extension 1: 88
Mathematics Extension 2: 73

ATAR: 96.05

Currently studying: Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) (Hons)/Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW

Sanaz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 08:33:30 am »
I honestly wouldn't rely on them at all. I had some friends that had an estimated atar which was 9 points above their actual atar... so they got pretty disappointed. I had other friends whom got an atar of 5 marks higher than estimated :P :D haha. Usually atar calculators after you get your marks back from the exam are pretty accurate though :P My cousin checked about 4/5 last year and got within 1+- away from her actual atar.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 10:09:33 am »
+1

Ehh, I touched them all year (with knowledge that I was estimating my estimate, so the real thing was going to swing by 5-10 points), soz ;)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 10:16:17 am »
Ehh, I touched them all year (with knowledge that I was estimating my estimate, so the real thing was going to swing by 5-10 points), soz ;)
Who was the one that said to ignore weird things like school ranks altogether :P

At least I reckon everyone touches them despite warnings haha, just yeah need that knowledge behind it.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 11:05:03 am »
Who was the one that said to ignore weird things like school ranks altogether :P

At least I reckon everyone touches them despite warnings haha, just yeah need that knowledge behind it.

Well school ranks don't influence the scaling/alignment algorithms, that's why I say to ignore them. But provided you know the inaccuracies involved, I think it's only natural to want to estimate where you sit! For me it prevents unfounded disappointment, or equally, unfounded optimism. I suppose I'm for optimistic realism ;)

Neutron

• Trendsetter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 11:54:06 pm »
Wait so what actually is the aligned mark? Is it just your raw mark moderated to how everyone else goes? And if so, does it normally go up or down haha