Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:49:29 pm

Author Topic: Physics or Legal Studies for HSC?  (Read 2689 times)

Scryptic

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Tempe High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Physics or Legal Studies for HSC?
« on: October 27, 2016, 08:49:54 pm »
Hello,

Just started year 12 and I'm having this huge dilemma choosing whether to drop Legal or Physics since I have 14 units. I enjoy both but I find Physics much more difficult than legal. I ranked 1st for Legal and 2nd for Physics in Prelims. And i still have no idea what degree i want to do.
Advice?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Physics or Legal Studies for HSC?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 11:06:08 pm »
+1
Hello,

Just started year 12 and I'm having this huge dilemma choosing whether to drop Legal or Physics since I have 14 units. I enjoy both but I find Physics much more difficult than legal. I ranked 1st for Legal and 2nd for Physics in Prelims. And i still have no idea what degree i want to do.
Advice?

Hey Scryptic! A few things to consider, in what I'd consider to be order of importance:

- You've said you enjoy both; but which do you enjoy more? First and foremost, pick what you like.
- Have you got other essay subjects? Other sciences? You may wish to choose one that gives you more variety?
- While the skills Legal Studies teaches you are valuable, HSC Physics is a good lead in for first year Physics courses. Not essential, but definitely useful, so if you see yourself going into Engineering/Science, that's worth considering too

Ultimately it should be about whichever you get more fulfilment from; you should enjoy what you study for the next 12 months!! :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 06:41:14 am »
+1
Hello,

Advice?

Hey!

I am going to suggest the impossible, and if you are enjoy all of them, why do you have to drop any of them?? You seem to be going good in both of them. My friend does 15 units, and loves it. But then again they have a super organised study plan they stick to. If you can handle 14 units (do you feel that you can't study enough) then by all means go for it!!

If you do not want to do that, speak to past Year 12's and their views on Physics and Legal. They are quite different dorections, and I doubt that a career would need both. So have you thought about what you'd like to do after you leave school? Its no problem if you don't, I didn't know until August-September when I had to put in my preferences :D

But judging on the information given that Physics is much more difficult than Legal, Physics will get harder. So while you are doing awesome at both of them, just remember Physics is hard. Too hard for me :P

I cannot really tell you which one to drop, but hopefully you can infer from my post which one I've leant towards. Or you can keep both of them but you'll have to stick to a study plan that you should make and follow from day 1.

One question: For you 14 units, are they are seven 2 unit subjects? If so, thats not so bad. If they are six 2 units and 2 one units, in that case I would not suggest you keep both of them.

Year 12 is a big decision!! Just take a while to think about it, and don't rush your decision! Think about the bigger picture.

Best of luck :) You're in for the most fun year of your life ;D

mattmorley

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 07:33:31 am »
+1
physics will get hard and the marking scheme can get very hard. That being said, why dont u start with both and then make a decision after a term or something???
HSC 2017

Standard English
General Maths
Studies of Religion 2
Business Studies
Geography

Dragomistress

• Trendsetter
  • School: James Ruse Agricultural High School
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 06:26:30 pm »
Physics, 100%. (Just my biased opinion though)