Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:16:28 am

Author Topic: Maths Methods and Study Design  (Read 914 times)  Share 

Adam_๐ŸŽ“๐Ÿงพ

• Trailblazer
  • Adam(⌐■_■)
  • Respect: 0
Maths Methods and Study Design
« on: January 22, 2020, 07:44:01 pm »
I've heard that for many subjects such as Biology, Physics the study designs are a good tool to utilise. Does the same go for methods? I think I have a good chance at close to (if not) 100% on exam 1, I would really hate to just miss something small and dumb. So, should I be specifically following the study design? Cheers.
2019 - Environmental Science: 34
2020 - English: 38
2020 - Methods: 40
2020 - Data Analytics: 40
2020 - Polish: 38
2020 - Biology: 39
ATAR: 93.30

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
Re: Maths Methods and Study Design
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 07:46:44 pm »
+3
YES!! The study design is a great resource, even for methods. It lists everything you need to know how to do for each topic, and it'll be really useful for you to check it off as you go!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 07:50:01 pm »
+4
I've heard that for many subjects such as Biology, Physics the study designs are a good tool to utilise. Does the same go for methods? I think I have a good chance at close to (if not) 100% on exam 1, I would really hate to just miss something small and dumb. So, should I be specifically following the study design? Cheers.
I think beginning your study by solely going by the study design can be restricting for someone's thought processes and study of mathematics in general (not considering VCE stuff). I understand that one would only want to study what can be tested but extending knowledge can sometimes be useful to truly understand concepts. E.g. In most VCE mathematics you will be using a formula but won't be required to actually know how to derive it.

I do agree with ArtyDreams it is useful to make sure you cover all the content though.

Once you get closer to the exam is when I think having tunnel vision for just the study design becomes really useful.

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 08:29:52 pm »
+3

The study designs are amazing resources to have! Make sure that before any assessment that you double-check everything on the study design because in the end, that's all you can be tested on. Do your normal study routine as usual and to check that you haven't missed anything, look at the key knowledge and all dot points on the study design for your subject. If there is something you don't understand on it, I would highly recommend going to a teacher or finding someone that could explain it to you (*cough Atar Notes Forum cough*).

I think beginning your study by solely going by the study design can be restricting for someone's thought processes and study of mathematics in general

I do agree heavily with Sine here! Try to only use the study design sort of like a checklist before assessments and just before the official exams. It would be best to focus on the study design really close to exams as it gives you a clear idea of what most likely will be on it. As Arty said, it would be good to tick it off as you go! ;D (and you can use it after Methods exam 1 to see what content wasn't covered and what's probably waiting for you in exam 2)

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 08:35:49 pm »
+3
I would say the study design is more of a secondary tool in methods. You need to use the SD extensively in content heavy subjects such as chem/bio but methods is much more focused on application rather than theory. Agree with what Sine said above, try not to limit yourself to the scope outlined in the SD. But as ArtyDreams and Ashmi have said, it is a good checklist to make sure you're on track if say you want to study ahead of the class of something.

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU