Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:24:07 am

Author Topic: What's considered a good WAM?  (Read 2853 times)  Share 

jakebl1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9
What's considered a good WAM?
« on: February 21, 2020, 09:59:36 pm »
Hi all,

I was wondering what people here would classify as a 'good' WAM? I've heard that anything above 80 is good and above 90 is very good with above 95 being excellent however I've also heard people saying that having a WAM above 90 is absolutely insane.

How would you guys classify it?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: What's considered a good WAM?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 10:29:22 pm »
+8
The general consensus is that an 80+ WAM is already pretty good, but it depends a lot on various circumstances (see below). I think you’ll get an idea of the difficulty once you start your course.

Some factors that can change difficulty in getting a “higher” WAM:
- personal circumstance: having to work, having to take care of someone, having a mental/ physical disability
- individual unit difficulty: unlike VCE where scaling tries to make all units as “equal” in difficulty as possible, uni doesn’t really have that between units. Downside of taking only “easy” units is that you’re paying thousands to learn very little, which is probably not worth it.
- individual unit grading system: some units and facilities will give scores according to a bell curve. Others use the raw scores you achieved in the proportions described in the unit guide.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 10:33:30 pm »
+8
Hi all,

I was wondering what people here would classify as a 'good' WAM? I've heard that anything above 80 is good and above 90 is very good with above 95 being excellent however I've also heard people saying that having a WAM above 90 is absolutely insane.

How would you guys classify it?

There is definitely no correct answer for this question just personal opinions and generalisations.

A broad answer I think would be a WAM over 70 is good. Above 80 is excellent. 90 is very rare. 95 is a university medal for some courses although usually the score required is not this high.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 11:02:11 pm »
+8
What's considered a good WAM?
One that you're happy with.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile