Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:29:50 pm

Author Topic: i go to macrob AMA  (Read 14208 times)  Share 

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
  • Respect: +60
i go to macrob AMA
« on: May 04, 2019, 10:35:29 am »
+1
ask me anything about macrob i need friends :,))

(if you need any help with the selective exam, pop a question in, either about the exam or an actual question from a practice test, and i'll answer it)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 07:42:24 pm by khadeejaatif »
taking a break.

JAS0010

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: i go to macrob AMA
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 07:26:15 pm »
Hello, I was just wondering if you have tips for getting into Macrob, and the difficulty range of the test.
Thankyou  :)

for_icarus

• Forum Regular
  • stay with me... 真夜中のドアをたたき :)
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 04:37:52 pm »
Hello, I was just wondering if you have tips for getting into Macrob, and the difficulty range of the test.
Yes, I was wondering the same thing, would you also be able to give us an insight into what kind of questions there are as well, and what you did to prepare, thanks so much!
my goals
⎡Y10⎦ ✧  Methods 1/2 ⚬ Physics U2 
⎡Y11⎦ ✧ MM 3/4 ⚬ Phys 3/4 ⚬ Chem 1/2 ⚬ SM 1/2 ⚬ Eco 1/2 ⚬ Lit 1/2
⎡Y12⎦ ✧  Goal {98.00-99.95}
⎡UNI⎦ ✧  Ivy League

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 07:28:38 pm »
Yes, I was wondering the same thing, would you also be able to give us an insight into what kind of questions there are as well, and what you did to prepare, thanks so much!

like in all hoensty, this is the preparation i did:

- i went to james an. as disgusting as most people find it, it basically helped me "cheat" through the exam because i got so familiar with the actual test layout.
- i did sO MANY PRACTICE TESTS OH MY. literally, don't just do the tests, but like, TIME yourself. i know so many people who could have gotten in but the time just didn't allow them to, so please try and answer as much as you can within the timeframe given.
- my parents basically forced me to study like every day for at least two hours and i already had a lot of homework from school (my life was depressing) but the point is, try and have a consistent time where you sit down and study. it doesn't have to be as intensive as mine, but i feel like AT LEAST half an hour should be fine (an hour if you think you really won't get in to your "dReAm ScHOoOL")

essentially for prep, KNOW the exam, be prepared for the TIME and put YOUR effort into it. just because someone you know has gotten in or someone gives you advice on how to get in, it does not mean you will get in. it is up to you

some tips and tricks:

- if you don't know the answer, shade in C. if ten questions are just bloody C, kEEP THEM LEAVE IT. the exam is hard on purpose. most people don't even finish it, yet, they still get in with pretty high scores
- stAY CALM. if you panic, you will miss a question, shade the wrong answer in or possibly faint (the exhibition place does things to some people is wild af). try and stay calm. it is not the end of the world if you don't get in or not. if you work hard in VCE, VCAL, whatever it is, that's what matters. if you want to get in try and stay calm, breathe in and out n keep going
- for the love of bunnings sausage sizzles do nOT bring your phone into the exam. any electronic device isn't allowed. yes they do allow it but do nOT. one kid in my james an class was telling me that his phone went off and they pulled him to the side and patted his whole body down. please do not bring them in, neither a watch (analogue is ok). i have an analogue watch and they STILL made em put my watch under my desk. they are very strict about these rules and one suspicious move can cause you to miss the exam entirely
- this is obvious but do not cheat in the exam. the girl next to me was obviously trying to look at my answers and she was told off by one of the supervisors and threatened to be taken out. there is no point of you taking someone into the exam who looks like you to do the test, to lie about your age to do the test, to pretend to have a disbaility to do the alternate exam, etc. it is just stupid and ridiculous and too extra. (yes, there are many stories regarding my friends if you really wanna know more)
- be prepared the night before. have your id (use your student one, no one will recognise baby you tf you thinking), water bottle, pencils sharpened, etc. it is just a huge mess if you're rushing around for everyting the next morning.

i think that's basically what a lot of people tell you, but the TYPE of questions i can vageuly remember (i did this exam in 2017) but here are some that i do remember:
- there were some year 9 and 10 questions (algebra and number patterns killed me) that were in the exam for numerical and maths. they are not hard if you are familiar with how to deal with them, but if you are unfamiliar, staRT STUDYING
- verbal reasoning and reading comp is just basically what the basic practice tests they give you (literally google "selective exam practice tests" they come up). again, try and find other sources of where you can get more practice tests. if you can not, i will happily write my own and put them up here for everyone to use (everything except writing).

again, i know this isn't helpful for some, but this is all i can say for now. i can ask some year 9's and other year 10's if they would like to say anything and i'll put it here. if anyone knows anything else help a brother out
taking a break.

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 07:30:18 pm »
Why is Melbourne High just so much better than Mac.Rob? :P ;)

you should also look at this thread (https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=155074.0) for a bit more information and clarity, don't hesitate to ask me for any more info <3
taking a break.

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 07:38:28 pm »
Why is Melbourne High just so much better than Mac.Rob? :P ;)

lmao mhs has so much more resources hkshksjksk;s
taking a break.

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 07:52:06 pm »
A great thing about some selective schools is the variety of extra-curriculars made available. Have you joined any and what do you like about them?
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

CosTheta

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 09:47:18 am »
Do the examiners allow you to write on the question paper, someone told me that all working out(as in solving the questions) has to be done only behind the answer sheet. Can you confirm that ?
Also do you think it was worth the effort ? I mean doing all the hard work and getting into Macrob's ? Are you enjoying being there or is it just that everyone is a smart kid who puts in a lot of effort with minimal help from the teachers ? 

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 12:06:52 pm »
A great thing about some selective schools is the variety of extra-curriculars made available. Have you joined any and what do you like about them?

extra-curriculars here range from clubs, sport, music and student portfolio (SRC, social service, IT, etc.). i only applied for student portfolio in year 9 and didn't get accepted into anything but i did some house stuff (nereids for the fucking win) and this year i am social service rep of my class. macrob has SOOOO much more opportunity than my old school (school in broadmeadows). like there so many extracurriculars in this school despite its size. if anyone does get accepted into macrob just deadass do everything you can in year 9 and 10 because in year 11 and 12 there are some restrictions concerning extracurriculars.
taking a break.

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 12:15:50 pm »
Do the examiners allow you to write on the question paper, someone told me that all working out(as in solving the questions) has to be done only behind the answer sheet. Can you confirm that ?
Also do you think it was worth the effort ? I mean doing all the hard work and getting into Macrob's ? Are you enjoying being there or is it just that everyone is a smart kid who puts in a lot of effort with minimal help from the teachers ?

for the maths and numerical reasoning im pretty sure we did receive spare working out paper but yes, you are allowed to work out at the back of the test. dont do he back of the answer sheet unless they tell you youre allowed. ive heard it might mess up your actual answers once scanned. tbh VCE can be done anywhere, you have to put in the effort. i only wanted to go to macrob because of the new experiences i wouldnt have received if i kept going to my old school (social connections, school events, volunteering, etc.). i love being here and most people will tell you that because everyone is so goddamned nice here. at my old school i was a massive bitch and macrob literally gave me manners and etiquette. that being said, i know a lot of people who said "oh it's not as good as my old school" but they still do like it. overall it depends on who you are and i can only give you my insight. for me, teachers are only there to teach and help you if you need help. in my case, i was used to it at my old school and only ONE teacher supported me in leaving and would help me in my journey. at macrob, yes, teachers do teach and help you, BUT there is still some (depending on who you ask) will tell you that the some of the teachers are horrible. and i will openly agree with that. it just depends on who you get. however, i have seen one teacher i have had in particular get better. they put a lot of priority towards VCE and encourage the year 9's and 10's to just enjoy it while they can youkno. overall, in my case, it was definitely worth it. many people will tell you at first that it isn't, but at the end of the day, you will understand how hard you've worked to earn your place at the school and the benefits that come with it. hope this answers your question <3
taking a break.

CosTheta

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 12:34:46 pm »
Thanks heaps for answering those questions for me, also how hard did you find the reading comprehension texts in the actual exam as opposed to James An, I have sat through a few henderson's mock exams and the texts they give there are too hard to comprehend, plus the answers are too tight, as in there are two answers which can be right but then one of them is correct as per them. Did you find reading comprehension easy ?

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 12:53:58 pm »
Thanks heaps for answering those questions for me, also how hard did you find the reading comprehension texts in the actual exam as opposed to James An, I have sat through a few henderson's mock exams and the texts they give there are too hard to comprehend, plus the answers are too tight, as in there are two answers which can be right but then one of them is correct as per them. Did you find reading comprehension easy ?

i never did henderson's but i found reading comp ok. there were questions where it appeared to be hard at first, but after reading the text and the question i understood it. henderson makes it even harder on purpose and for me personally, there's no point in doing that. james an had a variety of tests, meaning some were just easy, average or hard. they are not the level of hard that henderson is. i have NEVER heard of two answers being correct and then one only being the right answer. james an would ocassionally make that mistake but fix our scores. don't switch to james an all of a sudden but try to combat the hendeson tests. the texts are fairly easy. james an would sometimes give us 15 FUCKING PAGES in our reading comp practice tests (online ones) so i was about to die from happiness when i saw that the texts were so small and were quite easy to understand. hope this helps <3
taking a break.

CosTheta

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 01:47:14 pm »
Same, some of the mock exams had 14- 15 pages and a single text would span two pages !! No way that can be done in 30 minutes.
Also the texts were picked out from adult novels with all those crazy vocabulary that would make my cry !! I did learn heaps afterwards, noting down the meaning of those new words but I swear to God I have never seen those types of words even in newspapers, and I read newspapers everyday. You have actually relaxed me a bit, as I was thinking reading and verbal would be something I won't be able to crack.

Coming back to Macrobs - Have you got a new principal recently, and also a lot of new teachers lately ??     

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 02:18:50 pm »
Same, some of the mock exams had 14- 15 pages and a single text would span two pages !! No way that can be done in 30 minutes.
Also the texts were picked out from adult novels with all those crazy vocabulary that would make my cry !! I did learn heaps afterwards, noting down the meaning of those new words but I swear to God I have never seen those types of words even in newspapers, and I read newspapers everyday. You have actually relaxed me a bit, as I was thinking reading and verbal would be something I won't be able to crack.

Coming back to Macrobs - Have you got a new principal recently, and also a lot of new teachers lately ??     

omg that vocab was literally insaneeee. and woah you read the news everyday now i feel dumb lol. but im glad that youve calmed down a bit. we do have a new principal (Ms Stout keeps her dog in her office i love hER <3) because Dr Meath had left for melb girls grammar. and yes we do have new teachersjust like any other school. teachers come and go but apparently this years teachers arent as good as the previous years according to the year levels above us
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 05:46:40 pm by kjistsehrtot »
taking a break.

CosTheta

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 03:20:05 pm »
+1
Thanks khadeejaatif for your help. I will ping you again if anything comes to mind !