Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:48:28 pm

Author Topic: I failed my maths test  (Read 803 times)

niddongo

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
I failed my maths test
« on: May 04, 2020, 11:36:48 am »
+1
So I just got back my maths results and the average was 50% while my mark was in the low 40s. This test weighed 30% and in the prior term, I got 90% for a 15% assessment. If I was to raise my marks up over the next few assessments, will it be possible for me to achieve a minimum of band 5?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: I failed my maths test
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 12:10:36 pm »
+9
So I just got back my maths results and the average was 50% while my mark was in the low 40s. This test weighed 30% and in the prior term, I got 90% for a 15% assessment. If I was to raise my marks up over the next few assessments, will it be possible for me to achieve a minimum of band 5?

Hey, niddongo!

Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about your assessment mark and that you're not feeling to happy with it. I would advise first and foremost revising the test and identifying key areas in need to improvement and revision. It's very easy to get caught up in the figures and not reflect on the actual test itself (I was guilty of this so I can definitely understand how you're feeling). You should consider whether the mistakes were made because you genuinely didn't know how to do the questions or if they were little errors that could have been prevented. This is how you can start preparing for future assessments and working towards raising your marks.

As for whether you can still achieve a Band 5, the answer is a hard yes. Your individual percentages and marks from your internals will not be what get counted in the HSC. NESA will only receive your rank and use it alongside your exam mark, rank and cohort performance to determine your internal assessment mark. I can't really explain the nitty-gritty of how scaling and moderating are approached but I would highly recommend the HSC Survival Guide which has a fantastic breakdown of how it all works. It also appears that the test was difficult if the average is 50% so I would also keep that in mind when re-evaluating your performance. Basically, if your rank can be maintained and/or raised from now on, your desired band  is more than possible to attain with hard work and resilience :) Hope that helps and feel free to ask any questions here on the forums if you would like further assistance!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music