Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:10:18 pm

Author Topic: Complex Number Graphing Question  (Read 2315 times)  Share 

epherbertson

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Complex Number Graphing Question
« on: January 25, 2017, 10:46:58 pm »
Hi. I am completely lost for question 14b. I tried looking through my teachers solution and it still didn't make much sense. Any help is appreciated

wyzard

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
Re: Complex Number Graphing Question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 12:32:39 am »
Hi. I am completely lost for question 14b. I tried looking through my teachers solution and it still didn't make much sense. Any help is appreciated

(Image removed from quote.)

Damn this is a sick question, took me quite a while to figure it out :P The graph for 14b is a circle with a radius of 2.

I'll give you a crucial hint, make us of the following theorem:
An angle inscribed in a semicircle is always a right angle

This should give you some idea on how to work it out 8)
Graduated from high school in 2012 with atar of 99.55.

Currently doing MSc in Physics at UoM researching on Quantum Computers.

Offering group lessons for Unit 3/4 VCE Methods and Physics for 2017!

Selling awesome and in-depth study notes for Unit 3 Physics, PM me if interested! :D

Writer/Tutor at (Nerd of Passion)!
Connect with me on Facebook!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 12:53:44 am »

GeoGebra
Eddie Woo teaching it in a very understandable manner. Or I think so at least - I never understood this locus and only briefly understood it watching his video. Note that he uses a specific example.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:00:32 am by RuiAce »

tissue

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 03:13:46 am »
sorry in advance for the formatting,

This was how I was taught.

arg(z-z0) - arg(z-z1) = θ

is a locus that can either be a major arc, minor arc, straight line or a semi-circle. This all depends on the angle θ.
an angle between 0 and π/2 would be a major arc, an angle of π/2 would be a semi-circle, an angle between π/2 and π would be a minor arc while an angle of π would be a straight line from one point to another, excluding those points. This would all be drawn in an anti-clockwise direction starting from z0 and ending at z1.

So basically, you end up with a semi-circle with its middle cut off from point (2,0) to point (-2,0) and an internal angle of π.

I remembered these by heart so when I got into the exam I was confident enough to draw these instead of solving algebraically. I have a sheet of notes on all of the possible questions that I can find if you need me to.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 09:26:40 am »
+1
is a locus that can either be a major arc, minor arc, straight line or a semi-circle. This all depends on the angle θ.
an angle between 0 and π/2 would be a major arc, an angle of π/2 would be a semi-circle, an angle between π/2 and π would be a minor arc while an angle of π would be a straight line from one point to another, excluding those points. This would all be drawn in an anti-clockwise direction starting from z0 and ending at z1.
Watch Eddie Woo's videos. This all gets expained.
I remembered these by heart so when I got into the exam I was confident enough to draw these instead of solving algebraically. I have a sheet of notes on all of the possible questions that I can find if you need me to.
You definitely should not be doing this one algebraically.

Don't be resistant to watch the video. That guy is a really famous teacher.

I'm not linking a video just to be lazy. It's because I genuinely cannot explain it as well as he does.

epherbertson

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 08:44:41 pm »
Thank you very much it helps a lot !!!!

armtistic

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 05:09:39 pm »
sorry in advance for the formatting,

This was how I was taught.

arg(z-z0) - arg(z-z1) = θ

So basically, you end up with a semi-circle with its middle cut off from point (2,0) to point (-2,0) and an internal angle of π.

Hey Tissue,
I was wondering if you could send that sheet of notes my way?
Thanks  :D
ATAR: 99.70