Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 04:39:17 am

Author Topic: How to revise for SACS/ Tests  (Read 1077 times)  Share 

ashfault23

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How to revise for SACS/ Tests
« on: February 14, 2019, 06:22:05 pm »
I was wondering how would i revise for sacs/tests after ive finished the unit review because i feel like its not enough, and that was clearly shown to me after the test i did today as practice, in class. Could anyone give their advice?

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
Re: How to revise for SACS/ Tests
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 06:53:58 pm »
+1
I was wondering how would i revise for sacs/tests after ive finished the unit review because i feel like its not enough, and that was clearly shown to me after the test i did today as practice, in class. Could anyone give their advice?

Hi ashfault23,

Maybe ask your teachers for past SACS from your school with the topics you have done. Another suggestion could be to get company paper sacs/exams, past vcaa exams and/or checkpoint questions on the topics you have done. This will help a lot. Especially past SACS from your school as you will get a grasp as to how the SACS at your school will be formulated.

Hope this helps.  :)

guac

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Re: How to revise for SACS/ Tests
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 06:58:53 pm »
Some of my experiences with methods revision:

Prioritise doing practice questions, not necessarily just because similar questions might come up in the sac, but also because doing so will naturally help you develop a deeper, more intuitive understanding of the topic.

You don't necessarily need to do every textbook question, but make sure you do all of the questions that seem challenging/mildly challenging at first glance. If you run out of textbook questions, and this is for 3/4 methods and not 1/2, you can consider taking a look at some of the questions from past exams/practice exams to get more realistic exposure to the topic.

When you encounter questions that you can't do/take a while to figure out, make sure that you understand them in full when you finally work it out or look at the solution. The point of doing practice questions isn't to get the answer, it's to know how to get the answer. Try to make it so that you will always be able to do a challenging question if you come back to it a second time.

Writing notes and reading the textbook doesn't help much for maths. It's easy to fall into the trap of doing 'fake work' - things that feel productive but really aren't. Don't do fake work (although the definition of 'fake work' will differ from person to person).

One trick that I've learned over the years to help me understand a maths topic better is to pretend to teach it to myself. Basically, pick out a topic and see if you can explain it in detail to an imaginary audience. This will help you pinpoint pretty quickly which topics and concepts you don't fully understand yet/still feel sketchy about.

Guac puts a maths tutor in your pocket.
Chat to a verified, high achieving tutor anytime, anywhere. Ask about anything, from homework problems to difficult concepts.

7 day free trial, no credit card needed so you can get asking instantly: guactutor.com

Only available on iPhones (Android and tablets are coming!)