Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 07:12:21 pm

Author Topic: Error  (Read 1445 times)

vikasarkalgud

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Error
« on: November 15, 2018, 09:01:21 am »
Error
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 08:11:49 pm by vikasarkalgud »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Course in uni for someone who is good at NOTHING
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 09:08:29 am »
+10
Hey Vikas,

Congrats on finishing the HSC!

A couple of random thoughts in no logical order:

(1) I really wouldn't put yourself down. I am absolutely, 100% confident that, like everybody else, you have strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps even more importantly, I'm sure you also have things that interest you and don't interest you - and this should be a big consideration when choosing uni course.

(2) Are you sure you want to go to university? It sounds as though nothing is really standing out for you at the moment. A gap year could be the best thing for you!

(3) What are your preferences at the moment? What made you go with those? Like, what really made you go for those?

(4) It's literally impossible to know if you'll do well in a university course before starting it. Even if content is similar in nature to that studied in the HSC, it's an entirely different environment. There may be some correlation between ATAR and uni results, but there are countless examples of people struggling through Year 12 and then smashing uni - and the reverse.

(5) The ATAR is merely used as an entrance tool for tertiary education. If you don't end up using it at all, no stress.

(6) Just reinforcing point one. You have strengths, even if you can't see them at the moment.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

vikasarkalgud

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 09:22:38 am »
Error
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 08:12:29 pm by vikasarkalgud »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 11:26:32 am »
+6
There’s no harm in taking a course and then deciding you don’t like it. Lots of people change courses over their uni lives as they figure out what they like and/or dislike. In regards to the Asian family thing, expectations are expectations but your parents (and family) are still humans so will be able to come to some understanding about not going to uni if you don’t like it.

It also doesn’t hurt to go to TAFE and become a tradie because $$ hahah.

Think about what you’re most passionate about in the lead-up to UAC offers — all the best!!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 12:47:02 pm »
+10
Adding to everyone's opinions here, I know how you feel and I've been there before. I ran into a similar issue after realising that commerce just wasn't for me after Year 11 Economics. I agree with Joseph41: you'll still have strengths and weaknesses somewhere.

You've mentioned you enjoy(ed) the idea of studying Law and your subjects (By the way, pardon my ignorance, but what were your subjects?), so how about doing a broader degree? I know that sometimes simply immersing yourself in uni could help you figure out what you want to do with yourself. A broad degree will let you do that and probably allow you to do the odd elective that you enjoy here and there.

I'm not entirely sure how you do your preferences in NSW, but, if it's anything like Victoria, factor in some broader degrees in those preferences and transfer into Law at a later date, if that's what you decide to do at a later date. Leave some of the law degrees in your preferences so you still have a solid chance to study them. Alternatively, a double degree could also be helpful if you're too undecided but like two broad areas.   

Can't even go into STEM subjects coz I'm  it even good at them either. I genuinely have an interest to some degree in all subjects I did in year 12 and of course, law, but after LAT result I feel f***ed.  -snip- 
Assuming I have to go to uni next year and of course, I am interested in many things but just not good at them, what do I do?
P.S. You don't have to be 'good' at a particular area, whether that be STEM or not, to do a degree in the area. In all honesty, I'm not great at biology and I hadn't done biology since Year 9 until I started uni. Still went on to finish an Honours degree in the area because I liked it. Moreover, according to high school, my worst subjects were Chemistry and Japanese, but now I have minors in both areas, purely out of enjoyment. You should be doing a degree mostly for enjoyment and/or a stepping stone towards your intended career. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:53:16 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 02:32:01 pm »
+3
Hi, just another suggestion:

Have you tried taking a careers quiz? I know it sounds a bit lame, but sometimes these can be helpful in showing your strengths/areas of interest that you may not have picked up upon about yourself. It could spark a few ideas.

Also, it sounds like you are interested in law? Try not to be discouraged about your LAT results, because if law is something you want to study, there are always plenty of options and ways to do so, as others have already mentioned.  :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD