Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:16:30 am

Author Topic: Studying  (Read 1844 times)  Share 

AbyssFenix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
Studying
« on: April 15, 2019, 10:39:01 pm »
Hey AN,

I was wondering what different study methods you've all been implementing to study for Legal. I've been doing quite a bit of work but my results haven't necessarily been reciprocating that. Just curious to see if I've been doing it all wrong :)
2018: Biology [:(]
2019: English [42], Mathematical Methods [30], French [35], Economics [40], Legal Studies [40]
ATAR: 96.30

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
Re: Studying
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 09:42:15 am »
+3
Hey AN,

I was wondering what different study methods you've all been implementing to study for Legal. I've been doing quite a bit of work but my results haven't necessarily been reciprocating that. Just curious to see if I've been doing it all wrong :)

Hey there,

For legal, I use flashcards to memorise information based on what is going to be assessed on the exam. Then once I know my content, I go through past papers, mainly multiple choice but also extended responses if i have the time, to test myself and if I have any issues I ask my teacher or my peers for help. I personally don't write notes for legal studies - but if it works for you by all means. I'm not sure if VCE legal studies is the same as the HSC version, but regardless, I hope this helps.

Good luck,
- avocadinq
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 08:57:35 pm »
+2
Hey,

For legal, I first write down all the notes and try to understand content very well. after I've written all my notes, start doing practice questions relating to that particular outcome/area of study ASAPPP as they could be possibly asked in the sac/exam. Its also very helpful to start doing ur notes earlier and staying ahead of the class a lil bit with legal b/c it is very content heavy and u need time to actually digest and understand all the content. As well as those 1-2 and 3-4 marker questions, also attempt some of those higher 7-8 markers and 10 marker questions beforehand, b/c theres a 101 % chance u will be asked one in a sac/and obviously the exam. i know 10 markers can be a bit daunting and overwhelming, but im sure with practice and feedback from teacher its always possible to improve and get a high score. And dont rewrite ur notes before a sac/exam, u r just wasting ur time, u could instead be spending time doing some practice questions. And before a sac, just briefly revisit and revise ur notes. And dont get in the trap of just memorizing content, legal is all about applying ur knowledge!!!!

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 08:00:00 pm »
+2
Sorry this is super late!

I use similar methods as listed above but I also use a traffic light system on my syllabus. I grab a red pen, an orange/yellow pen and green pen and highlight the syllabus dot points according to my level of knowledge.
Red = I'm stuffed if they ask on this
Orange = I'd be ok/ I could manage but not do great
Green = Wowowoww seriously slaying the point could smash any question on it

I do this especially if I have limited time as it ensures I study what I don't know. Then I do practice responses, go to my teacher for feedback, look at sample responses and do some multiple choice. I usually write bare bones notes for each point e.g. bail laws --> I write what basic definitions and cases, media, evidence I could use in a response ensuring it is flexible for a lot of questions that could be asked on a syllabus point. :)

Hope that helps! This is also HSC Legal so I hope it still pertains to the VCE.
Gracie :)
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D

jurisprudence

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 07:44:37 pm »
+4
Hey!

First of all, I want to preface this by telling you not to panic if your results aren’t going how you’ve hoped. SAC scores are by no means indicative of your final score, and there is still more than enough time to improve!

Here is a few things to consider when writing your responses.
- Pay attention to task words and key terms! Many students know the content extremely well, but lose marks because they don’t know what the question is asking them. For example: An 'evaluate' question requires you to give strengths, weaknesses and your opinion.
- Focus on the mark allocation. For example: if you have a discuss question worth four marks, you are required to give two advantages and two disadvantages to get full marks.
- Make sure you are incorporating the key terminology. In Year 12, I wrote down the key terms to define and explain each of the dot points within the study design. This allowed me to write much more precise and coherent answers.

Some study techniques that I used were:
- Posters. These are amazing for gaining a comprehensive understanding of the content. I would keep my posters fairly brief, with tables for advantages and disadvantages, dot points, acronyms etc.
- Flashcards (my lifesaver during VCE), whilst it won’t help with answering the questions, it is a great way to test what you know, and highlight areas that you need to work on,
- Watching Edrolo videos (if your school has it) on topics I was uncertain on.
- Teaching someone else (even if it’s your pet hahaha). You’ll find that if you can articulate the content well, you'll understand it a lot better.

After that it really comes down to answering questions.
- Go through your study design!!! It has all of the content you can be asked on, along with the associated task words. You can predict what types of questions you will be asked and write your own if you’re looking for more questions.
- Read over the examiner’s reports to see what they look for in a response. It’s also a really good opportunity to read a high-scoring piece of writing; comparing what you do similarly/differently. (That being said, remember your style of writing will never be identical to someone else’s, so don’t try to copy it word for word).
- Do as many practice questions as you can. Application should take up most of your time/study in VCE. It is one thing to understand the content, but another to be able to apply it to scenarios and write about it under timed conditions.
- Seek feedback! Post responses on the forums, ask your teachers what they think you can improve on. This is one of the best ways to improve.

Good Luck!

2017-2018: VCE (ATAR: 98.75)
2019-2023: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 03:18:37 pm »
Hey AN,

I make revision sheets with key terms and phrases and using flash cards is an awesome way to study before sac's as well.
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

brothanathan

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 06:07:54 pm »
Hai  8)

Give Anki a go. You'll be surprised how much you can retain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8FOwi-NrVk